• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

iding too high

Just talked to a diesel shop here local. $1395 for rebuilt pump with new electronics and 2 yr warranty. Does that sound like a fair price? I asked and he said they do rebuild the vp44 pumps. I asked about upgraded injectors and he said $72 each. Would I see much power increase from bigger injectors with a stock pump?

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Itaintez said:

I asked and he said they do rebuild the vp44 pumps.

Be careful. Like BlueChip rebuilds pumps be unable to calibrate or flash a new PSG unit because BlueChip does not have a 815 test stand. If this company does have a 815 test stand can you please post up the information so I can add them to the list on the article database.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I agree with Mike on the pump. Many re sellers and few rebuilders. You could check with DAP or Vulcan performance. Both are vendors here. They both sell pumps with new PSG's, 2 year warranties and one year warranties.. This will give you something to compare with. 

Curios as to how you checked to be sure you are not getting air into the system?  it just sounds so much like that is what is going on. Hate for you to throw $1500 at it and not solve the issue.

You are right @dripley I have not ruled out air in system. I've opened filter drain while running and cracked inj lines to look for air. I plan to do a bucket test from lp inlet and work forward with clear hose. I'm just pricing parts to get ideas if my pump is bad.

The rebuilder I called is Dixie Diesel in Columbia,Tn. I called back to verify they have an 815 Bosch test stand and he verified they do and are one of few that do. Mike you can add Them to your list.

Tonight I took the fuel supply hose off the steel line under the cab and put it in a 6 gal can of diesel. I started truck up and got the same stumbling/miss as before. Next I removed the supply hose from the lp inlet fitting and installed a new hose and clamped it to inlet fitting, this eliminated the quick connect fitting like you see on gasoline fuel hoses. also I stuck the new hose in the diesel can, started truck up, same results, stumbling/missing. I tried lowering fuel pressure and this didn't help either.

Question: Would it benefit me to install a clear hose between the filter housing and the lift pump. I know that side should be pressure and not suction and I'm not leaking any fuel there or anywhere.

My next step will probably be removing injectors for a pop test and if they're good ,on to the vp44, sound logical?

21 hours ago, Itaintez said:

Just talked to a diesel shop here local. $1395 for rebuilt pump with new electronics and 2 yr warranty. Does that sound like a fair price? I asked and he said they do rebuild the vp44 pumps. I asked about upgraded injectors and he said $72 each. Would I see much power increase from bigger injectors with a stock pump?

Yes, injectors will help, just can't go too big or your tranny will take a dump. If you need new injectors anyways, upgrade to the rv275s or a 50HP injector. 

Well, injectors checked good, so I got a new vp44. While I was at it, I installed a set of RV275 injectors, replaced crossover tube orings, replaced the pushrod cover gasket , intake gaskets, return line fuel seals on the back of the head and adjusted the valves. I haven't gotten to drive it yet, but man that ole cummins sounds good! For future reference, I had no codes leading to a bad vp44. Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

• Like 3