• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I ended up trading my edge comp for a smarty. I received a boost fooler with the trade but haven't installed it. Not sure if I really need it. I don't seem to have an issue. I have only pushed it a couple of times to see where it would go... and it seems to be around 30-32. I do throw a fueling code tho. Should I install it just to avoid the code? Will it void it? Will it do anything else for me?

• Owner
10 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Edit.. wait.. I wrote it down and found it. P0602 ECM Fueling Calibration Error

What is happening is when you flash a tune into the ECM, the ECM has checksum number to validate the code. So at key on (boot up) the ECM loads up all the information and verifies the code against a checksum. Since you've modified the code with a Smarty the checksum doesn't match so... POOF! P0602 code is tossed. The only way to get rid of this code is return to stock and hook up a wired module like Edge or Quadzilla.

Yes it's normal for all programmers to toss the P0602 code. If the give away clue to a dealer that you messed with the ECM that's all.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
8 hours ago, notlimah said:

Sorry to revive this thread but just wanted to ask a question that falls in line with this...

I just swapped an HX35 into my truck with a boost elbow on it. Should I put a boost fooler on it to avoid throwing a code?

If there is a boost elbow present you need some form of boost fooler. That being said it will prevent the code and it defueling but it will not extend the fuel map any farther. Power beyond here will be rather flat. Basically from 18 PSI and above the ECM will continue to use 18 PSI boost data for fueling.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Unless you plan on adding more fuel in the future I would say skip the boost fooler and just dial back the boost elbow to 22 psi.  I would wager a bet that a boost fooled, stock fueled truck, would be slower than a stock truck without boost fooling.  

Boost foolers play it safe by limiting boost to 18psi, but a stock truck will run right up to the 22ish psi the ecm allows.

If you are going to add fuel down the road, just wait and get a quad zxt or edge ez.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

This is way the whole boost fooler idea is not commonly used. Most people get a fuel bo of some sort to add back the fuel map above the stock limits. Even with my Edge Comp missing and my boost elbow set for 35 PSI it will fuel all the way to 22-23 PSI on just the ECM. Top end power is rather weaker but it does not trip a P0234 code.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I definitely plan on adding more fuel/air later on, but I need to get my trans built before I go to crazy. 

Mainly just curious here here if adding a boost fooler to a stock fueled truck would hurt or hinder the truck? I've read that boost fooling on a stock truck could help lower EGTs when towing. Even getting on it now it won't build past 20psi but the last thing I want is to be towing and it throw a boost cod and defuel mid tow on the highway. 

I also don't think it'd be the best idea to add a box of any kind to my stock trans and then go towing. Just want to avoid grenading anything on my truck.

I think you would be better off just dialing back the boost elbow to stock levels.  

The boost fooler will limit boost to approx 4 psi less than stock, so you loose 4 psi worth of stock map without any extra fueling.  

So to dial back it back I would back the set screw out correct?

I did a decent 3rd gear lock up pull on the way home today up a steady incline and boost SLOWLY built to a max of around 22psi. So I can't imagine it going much higher with or without a trailer.

Since I put the hx on my 02, isn't my stock ecm set to that 18-20psi range? 

Ok if it didn't throw a code at 22psi should I worry about it throwing a code any other time?

Worst case scenario is it throws a code and defuels right? If I have my scanner with me, could I just clear the code and be back to normal?