• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust tip angle cut changed sound in a good way

After finishing up my rear end and steering rebuild this last week, I took a grinder and sawzall to my exhaust.  I found it very interesting that it changed the tone quite a bit.  I've done this in the past on gas vehicles that had an annoying high pitch or too sharp of an exhaust note.  It seems to work.  

Anybody else do this?  

3rd gen factory exhaust has a near 45 degree cut, and I don't recall what the OEM 2nd gen exhaust looked like. I didn't do a before and after, but I think that the truck is overall quieter, but has a better low frequency rumble than it did before.  

I'll take a picture tomorrow, but I just cut the straight pipe at about a 30* angle off of vertical.  The plane of the cut aims down 30* and very slightly to the rear. 

11 hours ago, CSM said:

I'll take a picture tomorrow, but I just cut the straight pipe at about a 30* angle off of vertical.  The plane of the cut aims down 30* and very slightly to the rear. 

:shifty:

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Our Comedian... :lmao:

I'm curious of the angle you used. Might prove useful for people locally wanting to tone down noise or tone.

Yoi can see the the angle,  it changes more as it is cut.  

What i want to do is bell the pipe internally, vent it, and make a venturi out of it like the duramax tips... blow any soot away from the vehicle.  

3 minutes ago, notlimah said:

How'd you manage to get that straight a cut, at that angle, with a sawzall!? :stuned: ... :think:

The trick is to take an angle grinder and make a notch to start the cut.  Then, use the angle grinder to smooth out the high spots. 

• Like 2

Very nice job with the grinder..... :wink:  I have to say, I was expecting something you'd kinda expect to see when hearing someone says " I took a grinder and sawzall to my exhaust".  You actually got it just about what the 2nd gen OEM exhaust looks like too.

I'm not sure belling the pipe internally would do you much good either because you'd only cause flow restriction and turbulence.  The only way you could do what you're thinking is to copy the DM exhaust by cutting back the tip and adding a larger diameter tip and adding bellows instead of sealing it solid around the smaller pipe. :thumbup2: