• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Unlike @Mopar1973Man's issue of not having the transmission oil made any more, I'm having the issue of which oil to run in the G56. Dodge put regular atf in the transmission, and from what I can tell that was only to save money. Mercedes (the manufacture of the transmission) does NOT recommend atf, but rather the same stuff @Mopar1973Man is going to put in his nv4500. Mobil SAE50 Synthetic transmission oil is what is spec'd. There's also a hotshotter out there who has a fleet with g56 transmissions and has a coctail of multiple oils.

I'm looking forward to hearing stories / opinions on what I should use. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I'm pushing toward $5K on this swap.... Overthinking is going to happen :lol: 

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I underthought my 3rd gen track bar bracket.  I didn't use a longer bolt and it had too few threads running into my new power steering box.  I may have trashed it...  I am going to try to save it with a longer bolt, or move  up from 9/16 to 5/8s in that hole.  If not, my new blue top box is garbage. 

• Owner

This is what got me for my choice on the NV4500 oils also being that Weller Truck highly suggest the 50 SAE Transmission fluid.

So what’s the overall conclusion? Based on the information provided, I believe that the absolute best oil would be the MobilTrans SHC DC with Mobil Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 being a close second. If you’re still under warranty and would like to keep that warranty, I wouldn’t use anything but ATF+4. Chrysler can, and will deny your warranty for anything possible. Using a non-recommended fluid would definitely be a reason to be denied. As far as the Lazarsmith Gorilla Juice and Pennzoil Synchromesh, I personally wouldn’t recommend either of those fluids. The viscosity is way out of spec for both and the chemical protection is very lacking compared to either of the Mobil oils. But this is your truck and your bill if it breaks. Use the information here and draw your own conclusion. As for me, the only fluid going in my transmission from this point forward is MobilTrans SHC DC. 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is what got me for my choice on the NV4500 oils also being that Weller Truck highly suggest the 50 SAE Transmission fluid.

I still don't get why they would recommend a lighter weight oil than OEM for a manual transmission. 

Seems to me like it's to guarantee repeat trans business :whistle:

I'd sure be nervous towing with it. 

Especially when the proper grade top shelf synthetic can be had for cheaper. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

• Staff

Going back to your first post the Delvac SAE 50 is not what Mercedes reccommends, but rather is it close. However it carries a MT-1 designation and not GL-4 like the Delvac SHC that meets the Mercedes spec. 

The same oil that meets the NV4500 specs is the closest I have found to the Mercedes spec for the G-56. That's a 75w-90 GL-4. I like the Amsoil MTF as it also meets some of the crosses the SHC meets. 

The Delvac SAE 50 is a MT-1 fluid which is a different spec than the GL-4 that the G56 (and NV4500) want. 

On 5/4/2016 at 9:11 PM, TFaoro said:

1 gal Delvac 50 and three qts Amsoil 5-30 Synchromesh. 

Neither of those fluids share the GL-4 rating that the G-56 Mercedes specs indicate. 

Those are a MT-1 and a Syncromesh, which are different than GL-4. 

The biggest thing I see in common with all the G-56 fluid threads is that people think a gearbox is a gearbox and a 6 speed is a 6 speed. Any amount of research will indicate that it's not the case. Proper fluid is important. If a transmission was a transmission there wouldn't be so many spec's for fluids. 

Edited by AH64ID