• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 and 50 SAE GL-4 Synthetic Trans Fluid

• Owner

Time... So let look at it 7 miles of grade at 35 MPH takes 12 minutes (35 MPH in 3rd gear) to climb vs 7.6 minutes (55 MPH in 4th gear). Nearly doubling the time climbing then also with gear reduction adding heat for double amount of time. Then looking at 55 MPH its half the amount of time in 4th gear and 4th is a cooler gear. Again compare side by side it might be different. Again ditch the cooler on his and the exhaust blank I bet it closer together.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

The biggest thing I see is the temperature delta between 3rd and 4th. In 3rd your using gearing reduction and have more friction. Even with the coolers and exhaust wrap his delta was MUCH smaller than yours... not looking at actual temp, just the delta.

The SAE 50 had a very large delta when the gears had the load vs direct and the GL-4 NV4500 spec'd fluid did not. That's my point. You said it yourself, in caps, MUCH COOLER... KATOOM didn't have that delta.

I would like to see a more direct comparison for peak temps but the delta temp data cannot be thrown out here.

• Owner

That's the thing AH64ID is quote Delta value which to me is meaningless. To may factors involved to this "Delta" make it even valuable. Like starting temperature of the fluid, length of climb, then at what speed, what gear, how much hp & tq applied to the transmission, etc. All have an impact on the out come of the "Delta". So yeah I could hook up a heavy load climb a short 7% grade and turn a better delta too. I can stop before a grade have picnic and the climb it after it cooled still have wonderful delta.  Too many thing to impact the outcome more than just weight... 

Me78569 like you said not even a comparsion unless everything is equal and side by side. Then we can talk delta. 

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Hey I was kinda hoping some other members would step up and install a temperature gauge..... :poke:

If college tuition wasn't EATING every dime I had I would have installed a cooler, the temp probe, and changed to the correct fluid. Hopefully by mid August...

• Like 1

• Owner
3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Like I said before.... you can pick it apart to death supporting your theory but the data isn't bad.

Sorry I'll have to agree to disagree. 

So many way I can alter you "delta" values that I make it look good..

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry I'll have to agree to disagree. 

About what I expected considering your hell bent on running the wrong fluid :-) You're far too predictable when it comes to bucking the flow.

You can keep trying to make this look good but it's far from it. You still call it a GL-4 which really, really doesn't make it look good when its clearly NOT.

The delta temp data is HUGE. In 4th the fluid is doing very little to protect any gears as there isn't any load on the gear. As soon as you place a load on the gears the temp went WAY up.. that's NOT good.

I'm all for looking at new things; however, don't skew the data, or specs, to suit your needs. It's always fun to watch people ignore the facts to push their opinions.

Edited by AH64ID

I am still of the opinion that we haven't seen anywhere near enough testing or miles on this fluid in identical trucks with identical or even similar mods and usage to be able to compare. So there is no point arguing for either side at the moment. 

Edited by leathermaneod