• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any reccomendations on a good DVM

So with all the talk with dvm for measuring ac noise and all, I began looking to upgrade from my cheap dmv meters, I'm not really electronically wired, but I can follow step by step instructions when measuring electrical stuff. I have been looking on line at some like a fluke 16 (which is auto ranging) Does that mean they are pretty much plug and play?  seen some used ones on ebay for less than 1/2 the price of new.  Being that I don't have a lot of experience with them other than measuring battery voltage and continuity testing, its hard to tell what your getting until you get it and start playing with it.

I also need one that's sufficient for testing outboard motor ignitions, capable of hooking up a peak reading adapter, testing stators and coils and such.

Any recommendations of whats out their, pics, model type. web links ?

• Owner

A good DVM should be able to read AC volts in the millivolt range. Then should be able to read across variable frequencies.

Lot of cheap DVM's only can read 110 VAC and 220 VAC at 60 Hz. So when you attempt to use one of these you end up with numbers in the 29-31 Volt AC range which is no where near correct. I tend to favor Fluke but there is many of quality name brand digital volt meters out there.

probably going to go with a fluke I don't know if it will be used or new, As much as I would use it, I would think a used one would be fine, been seeing them for around $ 75-100. or about $ 150.-200 new. they are auto ranging so I assume they should be able to read ac millivolts.

My mission exactly! I just got done trouble shooting an outboard motor ignition. (Borrowed a fluke from work)) with the local marine shop getting 80 bucks an hour to trouble shoot and several ignition parts on the motor averaging 2-300 bucks eachI could not afford to be throwing parts at it. 

My old EX530 took a dump a couple months ago, really disappointed in it.  A couple years ago it fell and broke the stand and battery cover off.  Then finally this happened.

screenshot_43.png

Basically the knob no longer works.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

I hope so too.  The stand wasn't even out when it fell and broke it off.  I have no idea why the knob broke.

My old fluke started giving me random readings last month as well...  I hope it's the battery.

Edited by Cowboy