• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Proper Nv5600 fluid

So I'm just double checking since I've read different things. What fluid do I put in my Nv5600 that calls for the Texaco stf 1864 that is not made any more?

Edited by CSM

• Owner

I was at 262k miles on the original NV4500 transmission and "Mopar Fluid" as well but the main shaft didn't hold up any longer. I'm now a test case for running 50 SAE Transmission fluid for the NV4500. I've heard of a few people using it in NV5600 as well.

DSCF3687.JPG

https://highgeartransmission.wordpress.com/tag/nv5600-6-speed-transmission/

Here at High Gear Transmission we have remanufactured over 600 of these units (Manual NV5600 6-speed) in the past few years and consistently see damage due to over-heating and lack of lubricant in the units. So we invited an Exxon Mobile representative to visit us at High Gear and help determine the best oil for the NV5600 6-speed manual transmission. After many tests we concluded running Mobil Delvac 50 weight with two quarts over full will definitely improve the life of your unit. You can buy Mobil Delvac oil with confidence, this is great oil and you will not be disappointed.

0505161925.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
59 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The NV5600 calls for a Syncromesh fluid and there aren't many that meet that spec. 

Kind of like Mobile 50SAE doesn't meet the specs exactly of either NV4500 or NV5600. Still no issues to report (for myself) and transmission temperatures are still low and fine. Shift quality is still good here. Makes me question Dodge's spec of using ATF+4 in the G56 transmission. I know that isn't exactly spec either very controversial topic about what is true specs what does meet or exceed the specs.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

The NV5600 is known to be picky on fluids for it's syncro's. Delvac 50 is a MT-1 fluid which the primary application is non-syncro'd transmissions... not a great choice for something with picky syncro's. Delvac 50 doesn't meet any other specs, per Mobil. 

You honestly don't have even close to enough miles on your new NV4500 to state if there are issues or not. Using a fluid with a different spec could take a long time to manifest the issues, not a couple months. 

The G56 did/does have the "wrong" spec fluid in it from the factory and most of the aftermarket recommendations don't even take into account the actual MB spec'd fluid. Bottom line is there are a lot of people who don't really understand fluids making a lot of off the wall recommendations on fluids, it's kinda funny to ask if it's not your trans the fluid is in :-) If all the fluids were universal to all transmissions there wouldn't be so many different types of fluid specs. 

• Owner

So can you explain the link I posted above and the comments in quotes?

So we invited an Exxon Mobile representative to visit us at High Gear and help determine the best oil for the NV5600 6-speed manual transmission. After many tests we concluded running Mobil Delvac 50 weight with two quarts over full will definitely improve the life of your unit. You can buy Mobil Delvac oil with confidence, this is great oil and you will not be disappointed.

I don't think that a transmission rebulider / shop would be providing this information on their web site if it was going to cause issues or damage to transmissions. Then there is warranty their workmanship with a transmission fluid that would cause issues. I hardly doubt someone or company would provide information or product that cause damage. Makes me question these specs and limits people placed on these transmissions.

• Staff

And I wouldn't have thought that Airdog and FASS would have used inferior filters on the lift pumps but they did so for a number of years, all while claiming improved filtration. 

When I started questioning the filtration issues back in early 2008 my comments where treated just like your treating them with the trans fluid; however, what filters are on your AD now? You were told it was better than OEM when you bought it yet it was far WORSE. Doing your own research and leaving the 3rd parties out is the best way to get the facts and proper information. 

I have seen TOO many times where companies advertise and sell something, that they don't manufacture but utilize in a kit or rebuild, that is completely wrong for the application. Just because it's sold by a 3rd party doesn't mean it's proper to the application. I use the FASS/AD example because it was a big deal about 8 years ago and people are still finding out that their advertised improved filtration isn't better and sometimes worse to this day. 

If you take 3rd party away and look at OEM information, from both the trans manufacturer and fluid makers, there is a reason to stick with the OEM specified fluid in the NV4500 and NV5600. It should even be considered that the NV5600 and NV4500 need different fluids when they are made by the same company and put in the same vehicles. That alone should be a red flag when someone tries to sell you a fluid that's for a different spec. NV didn't even build them to use the same fluid.. there is going to be a good reason for that. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

• Owner

Well time will tell if the rebuilders are blowing smoke or not. I still think your looking at the MT-1 spec a bit worng too I'll do some investigation on that as well. I think its not ONLY for non-syncro'ed but for either syncro'ed or non-syncro'ed transmissions. Again I'm going to investigate a bit more on this. The only thing that is different is our syncros are carbon fiber thats it the rest is just gears and bearings. There are some syncro'ed transmissions out there using the 50 SAE fluid as well hence the GL-4 spec to keep the fluid from eating yellow metals.

Also lets stay to the gear lube here, filtration is a different animal... That can spur a new thread on its own. :wink:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Filters weren't the topic it was an example of where a 3rd party used something they didn't make in a manner it was specifically built for and advertised it as something it wasn't. It's an easy one to reference because it has been around and fairly well known for many years. 

MT-1 specification is pretty simple.  The designation API MT-1 denotes lubricants intended for nonsynchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 service provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil-seal deterioration, which is not provided by lubricants in current use meeting only the requirements of API GL-4 or 5. API MT-1 does not address the performance requirements of synchronized transmissions and transaxles in passenger cars and heavy-duty applications. API MT-1 lubricants should not be mixed with engine oils in the same transmission unit. Transmission manufacturers' specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed. The performance specifications of API MT-1 are defined in the most recent version of ASTM D5760.

Directly from the API  Lubricant Service Designation.

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/1560-eighth-edition-april-2013.pdf

API is the standard on the specs. MT-1 is intended for nonsyncronized manual transmissions. 

On July 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I was at 262k miles on the original NV4500 transmission and "Mopar Fluid" as well but the main shaft didn't hold up any longer. I'm now a test case for running 50 SAE Transmission fluid for the NV4500. I've heard of a few people using it in NV5600 as well.

DSCF3687.JPG

https://highgeartransmission.wordpress.com/tag/nv5600-6-speed-transmission/

0505161925.jpg

I can't see that snapped shaft having anything to do with what oil u were using. It's no secret the 5 speed aren't as tough as the 6 speeds. I have seen quite a few 5 spoeds fail but never a 6 speed. 

When i researched oil for that 6 speed of mine 3/4's of the people said they used mopar stuff. Some guys used penzoil.

at 589,000km's on a truck with original trany that seen every kind of condition known to man, hot cold snow etc and lived it's whole life in the Rocky mountains pulling over loaded 5th wheel hay wagons and horses etc etc i wasn't going to question the mopar oil's ability. 

However I will say this, Mopar calls this I once-in-a-lifetime or oil or something like that, and I think they say it never needs to be changed.  I'll have to check my manual on that but either way never listen to what the factory says as far as oil change intervals. This truck had that oil changed a few times in it's life.  The other thing I never do with anything at all is switch oils if I don't have to.  Everyone out there is running full synthetic this in full synthetic that blah blah blah and here's my truck running the cheapest oil money can buy with really high milage and original engine trany etc. 

And old guy told me one time to never switch oils because they repel each other. In 2007 diesel power magazine I read that same thing where they were talking about why you shouldn't switch oils all the time. 

To each their own but that's my secret to success and it seems to work because I've had more than a few vehicles with really high miles 

and original power trains/engines. 

And I don't mean to just grab the cheapest oil you can get but for instance in my engine I use Napa 15w40 and that is apparently Valvoline oil I'm told.  Non-sympathetic and I change it every 6500 km 

my transmission I will get changed again after another 125,000 km.

I guess I better start converting this kilometres to miles for all you guys from the U.S.A. Lol

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE

I had never heard that Penzoil Synchromesh was the same as the Mopar fluid. Not that I know different just never heard that one before. As I remember the owners manual does state that you do not need to change the fluid just keep it full. After checking mine for 4 or 5 years with no depletion I got lax and paid a price for it and lost 4th gear. Just got stuck in it and would not come out. Finally got it out and made it home. Not sure how much of that was the oils fault, but it did get low for a while. Any way the Sychromesh is all I have used since.

On July 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM, AH64ID said:

IIRC Mopar is Penzoil Syncromesh in a Mopar bottle, but's it's been a while since I looked it up. 

I change mine every 50K miles.

That is incorrect. I read up on it for days and the closest oil was a texico brand. Either way it's change a few times in it's life. To me it's not worth experimenting with different oils in this case. 

• Like 1

But i will add that i'm as cheap as it gets and usually buy the best priced parts i can. In all the reading i did i never heard anyone say the mopar stuff was bad just that it was expensive. It cost me 135.00 cnd i think it was. And that was him giving me a deal lol.