• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Travel trailer newbie!

• Staff

@notlimah what size are the tires?

A level kit on these trucks can actually decrease the tire clearance depending on the wheel offset. With my OEM wheels and 19.5" wheels I am the closest to tire contact at the firewall which has been reduced by the 1" level. I'd go back to stock but I can clear chains and like the added oil pan clearance from the 1" level. 

I had a 2" level installed the day I bought it and swapped to a 1" level about 5 years ago. The 1" level is SO much better, IMHO. It still gives me the oil pan clearance, the look of a level truck, and it rides better!! I was not expecting a ride change but it's night and day from the 2" to a 1", so much that I would hate to see what a 3" on stock control arms feels like. 

I can also use less air in my airbags, about 1/3 as much, when loaded at the same weight. 

My dad still runs his 2" and a 3,500lb truck camper. He doesn't believe me that he would be much happier with it removed or dropped to a 1". He needs all 100 psi in his airbags to stay level where he could probably do it with 60-70 psi on a 1"

So there are some things to think about. 

• Owner

0819161314a.jpg Told @Taz about his 2" spacers and 35" tires and to ditch them. Change to 285 at least. It's really making a mess out of towing for him. Headlights in the sky at night, squats with even my small 7k trailer. I'll have to dig up the photo off my phone later I left my phone in my truck. There is a reason why Dodge trucks come with a nose down rake. What's bad is his truck is a 1 ton and horrible stance towing. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Yea I hear ya Mike! I wouldn't of picked this setup myself, but it came with the truck and I don't feel like getting rid of perfectly good tires. Right now just trying to get things as close to stock as possible, until I'm actually due for tires and then I'll be back to stock.

• Staff

Top Gun Customz makes the 1" spacer I am using. 

The 3500 SRW of Taz's year (03-09 actually) uses the same base spring pack as a 2500 with overloads, but the overloads don't contact their perches until approx 6K RAW so they often are unused. 

The 2" is too much if you load up the bed/hitch often but I haven't had the same issues with 1"... amazing what an inch can do :-)

I did the 1" spacer to begin with. Ride didn't changes. I then changed to the 2" spacer and ride didn't change again. Maybe it helps on the 3rd gens to be lower?? 

I'm going to keep my 2" and put bags on the rear to stay level. I usually don't have enough in the rear to squat the truck too much. 

• Staff

Unless the control arms are considerably longer on the 2nd gen I cannot imagine why there wouldn't be change. The ride change is from the angle of the control arms being steeper with a  lift and stock arms. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just for info value. The truck above had my BigTex towing behind it with less than 7k worth of load. The rear axle was sitting on the helper springs. I've only got 35 PSI in the trailer tires. Again that is a one ton Dodge single rear.

Sounds like his springs are worn out! 

• Owner
1 minute ago, AH64ID said:

Sounds like his springs are worn out!

I said the same thing to as a possible cause of the tail squatting. Now you have to remember he's got that heavy flat bed on the bad it much heavier than the stock bed too. I had him scale the truck last spring and it was like 8,9xx or 9,0xx pound truck roughly empty.