• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Yep like Mike said check with the trailer mfg, some are capable some absolutely are built so cheap its not even an option period.

I have seen pics of the front hitch assembly and almost the entire front of some campers that that had the conversion ball and they were about torn in two from the added stress of the changed geometry and weight distribution.

The ball allows a lot more articulation and flex versus the more solid and stability of a 5th wheel plate and pin.

• Like 1

It can be done, I have seen guys modify and reinforce the front frame work of the campers so to handle the extra stress but on some campers its not accessible and if so its a major job to get to on some models.

I think MNTom had to reinforce his front frame work on his a couple years ago, he had a thread either here or on his own site with a good pic selection and write up on it. Don't remember all the details but it started with some cracks he noticed.

I used the Andersen Ultimate Hitch with mine.  I was a big fan, it worked like a charm and doesn't add the stress that others do.  I would certainly recommend it, but I would suggest making sure you have chains as well...in case you get pulled over and inspected.

I didn't want to add 5th wheel rails in my bed.  I already had the gooseneck ball so I figured I would use that.

3 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

B&W Companion hitch would have fixed you up there.:whistle:

Nope, I don't have a B&W set up in my truck. I googled this companion hitch and it is more then twice what I paid for the Andersen; over $800!

There aren't but a couple of frame manufactures for RV trailers.  And most RV trailers will specifically void the warranty if a GN adapter is used.

The stress on the pin box is just too great when adding another foot or so of leverage with the adapter.  Over time the strain can cause frame cracks which go unnoticed as they're usually hidden behind the trailers outer material.

I know there's plenty of people out there stating that they've never had a problem with a GN adapter but I would just feel its best not to.  B&W's conversion hitch is supposed to be awesome. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

That Anderson adapter looks pretty nice.  I have a goose neck already and don't want my bed taken up with a big 5th wheel hitch.  It can be easily removed and isn't any more expensive than a cheaper 5th wheel. We may eventually get a 5th wheel RV and I think I may go with this.

• Like 2

I recently sold my fifth wheel with the Anderson adapter.  I never had any issues with it and I would recommend it.  I would suggest getting the safety chains to go along with it.  This set up doesn't add leverage to the king pin as the coupling all takes place at the same spot.  Light weight and easy to install.

• Like 1

Just in case some members dont already know, you cant allow passengers to ride in a 5th wheel that isnt connected to the tow vehicle by a 5th wheel secure locking hitch.  A ball hitch doesn't qualify as that either.

So if you ever do travel with anyone riding in the 5th wheel trailer then you cant use the linked hitches.  This is not meant to create a discussion of who does or why someone doesn't, or any other reason other than giving everyone a heads up. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dripley said:

I Have seen this before but is there not an adapter you have to put on the trailer to fit the ball? Or am I just to blind to see it?

There is.  It is a block that secures to the king pin and has a receiver for the ball.  It is just tall and wide enough for the king pin and maybe 6 inches long.

• 2 months later...

I run an Anderson 5th wheel hitch.Been running it for two seasons and I really like it. It doesn't make any noise and is very easy to install. I use it on shortbed and I can make a turnaround in a culdesac at the end of my street without hitting cab. It offsets just the right amount from hitch to allow you space to make tight turns. Haven't been in a spot yet with after two seasons! Very good price. I went with the steel one since it is cheaper. It's heavier but that's ok. I just drag it off the truck and use my hand truck to cart it around the house as needed for storage.