• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey all, 

So based on the pics Im pretty sure I need to rebuild my turbo sometimes before too long. I had a thread on here about it before, but decided it wasnt as urgent as I thought. I thought any shaft play at all was bad, and thanks to you all I learned that is not the case. Anyway, I changed my oil today and I was wondering what you all think of these pics. It doesnt seem to rub at all when I spin it by hand and even when I push it to the side and try to get it to, but in the lower left there are a couple spots that look like they could have touched....by the way I didnt mess with it too much because I've heard its very bad to spin a turbo without oil circulating through it. Yes I know the blades are knicked and I need a new comp wheel. Thats one of the big reasons I haven't rebuilt it yet. IMG_1041.JPGIMG_1042.JPGIMG_1043.JPGIMG_1044.JPGIMG_1045.JPG

@Dieselfuture I am using a donaldson BHAF, and it is sealing properly.

@IBMobile Just curious, why do you suspect to much play? I can definitely measure that clearance though, just need to find a feeler gauge that is narrow. I only have the normal wide style, dont think that would be very accurate.

what is the axial end play compared to the bearing clearance?

Also, any idea where to get a good comp wheel? Ebay has some for $40 but I'm not sure of the quality...

Also, how big of a deal is it to get the shaft balanced after a rebuild?

Any idea what size the inducer/exducer are? 54mm and 78mm?

Found this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Holset-HE341-Blade-Compressor-Wheel/dp/B01BUK4AR2

Edited by leathermaneod

Have you cleaned it before? If not, starting fluid works pretty good. Any oil out the compressed side?

I think it's a 57 inducer, but I don't remember the exducer size.

Some say you have to have it rebalanced, but I don't believe it. Each part is individually balanced, so you should be fine without balancing.

That's good to hear on the balancing! Yes I have a little oil out the comp side. Just enough to make it a little wet in the elbow that's right there. None in the intercooler pipe that I saw before. I have cleaned it, but only wiped it out what I could reachwith a rag, so that didn't do much. 

Thank you for you input! Yes I already have a rebuild kit including that gasket. All I would need at this point is a new compressor wheel and the short piece of silicone hose in the drain tube. There is also a write up on CF on the rebuild process so I should be good to go. 

just found this, I may look into finding a rebuilder or see if there is a way to get a rebuilt hx35 and use mine for a core, just because of the balancing aspect. Not sure if there are any good options for something like that? Anyone on here know of someone who does quality work on turbos at a fair price? 

Possibly, I don't think I've ever seen those in enough sizes for this though. Plus they are usually in a circular configuration which would not work for this. I was just at autozone and they had a mini feeler gauge but I don't think it had enough sizes either. 

• Staff
16 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

@IBMobile Just curious, why do you suspect to much play? I can definitely measure that clearance though, just need to find a feeler gauge that is narrow. I only have the normal wide style, dont think that would be very accurate.

If the compressor wheel touches the housing then the bushings/bearings are worn and that translates into excessive radial movement and the turbo needs to be rebuilt.  Some rebuilders deem the core non-rebuild able if the compressor wheel gouges the housing.

You can make a feeler gauge out of a strip of plastic sanded to the thickness you need.  An oil jug and a coolant antifreeze side wall is .038-.034" and .017-.019" respectively.  You'll need a micrometer or caliper for measuring.

17 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

what is the axial end play compared to the bearing clearance?

Axial end play is the movement of the shaft in and out.  Don't worry about the axial end play for now. 

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm following along with the HX35/40 turbo that @CSM gave me. So far after disassembly of the compressor housing I can test the compressor wheel is nearly making contact with the housing. Enough the tip of the compressor wheel where clean. It did have some oil residue showing on the exhaust side. So rebuilding is going to be required...

• Like 1

• Staff
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:14 AM, leathermaneod said:

Did the pictures look like it has in your opinion?

Looks the same as mine less the nick. If there is no or barely any movement of the shaft side to side with no oil leaks than don't worry about it.    

Anyone know a good source for an OEM HX35 compressor wheel? Ive been looking online and there are some cheap ones on ebay, but I cant seem to find any that are OEM Holset, and if I'm going through all the trouble of rebuilding and balancing this thing, I dont want to throw a crap wheel on it. I don't want a Wicked Wheel either, just a stock HX35 wheel would be perfect. Just hoping it doesnt cost an arm and leg.