• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

I had some time to drive about 40miles today on the highway. 

With stock my timing runs right at 17 running 70mph.

For some reason I get a random blip of 25 degrees of timing and my canbus drops to 0. 

Edited by 903Dodge

• Owner

Something learned today. Be aware that running too high of timing can get the nozzles on the injectors hot. I've been running a total cruise timing of 20.5 degrees or so. I start noticing the last few days after the interstate run the truck has a weird off-beat miss and typically would go away after the injectors cooled a bit in city driving. Now on my way home, I was still getting it after long highway runs. So I back off the cruise timing 2 degrees and the random miss is gone. 

Again more timing is not always better. I've noticed now that I backed down the rattle is much quieter and very mellow. (More going to be posted on my thread)

I figure I would toss this out on the table so other are aware.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

great info.  What RPM was it missing at?

Idle. Only missed at idle after a long run.

7 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

overall 20* isn't that much depending on the rpm.

At 2,100 to 2,200 RPM's. But as I hit idle it would start to miss at traffic lights or stop signs.

• Owner

Sometimes I find that if you just reboot the windows machine again, leaving the Quad unhooked as soon as it boots back up start the flash update software first then plug in the Quadzilla USB cable. Tends to work better. If you plug in the Quadzilla before you fire up the software you get this stupid mode where the software can't see the hardware. Worse yet when I'm flipped back over to the Linux side and call out "lsusb" in terminal and clear can see the Quadzilla.

Somedays I wish they had a Linux app... No drivers and no BS. (Dreamin')

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Idle. Only missed at idle after a long run.

At 2,100 to 2,200 RPM's. But as I hit idle it would start to miss at traffic lights or stop signs.

Mine does the exact same thing only now it seems to be more noticeable. Not sure what the deal is but it's almost like it wants to lope at idle.

• Owner

Back your cruise timing down. Injectors are getting hot on the nozzles from what I can figure out. I bet if you back it down it will go away. Drop one full degree off your cruise timing at least and see what it does if its less the drop one more degree and it should go away. 

Might also add 1 degree to fuel load timing. See if that helps too.

• Owner

Your firing the fuel before TDC like my previous timing was 20.5* BTDC so my injectors are small and atomize very well so with the boost pressure adding heat, cetane levels are high for winter fuel. What I think is happening cylinder temperature are higher because it's burning before it gets over TDC. So if you retard timing the flame front will be pushing more on the piston downward than the piston pushing the flame into the injectors as it still traveling up to TDC.

Now I'm more like 17.5 to 18.0* BTDC...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I could kindof see that but you would think that it would work the opposite way being that when heat is applied to metal it will expand making the orifices smaller.  The only problem I could see here is if they get so small that they cannot fire properly, doubtful though being that they stand up to a massive amount of heat and pressure during the compression stroke. Or potentially could be that the pintle is not able to move as freely so you're getting a bit of a hesitation as the pressure builds and finally pushes the pintle up at a latter point in the stroke effectively showing itself through a lope or miss.

Don't you think that the EGTs would reflect your increased cylinder temperature, especially if you were thermal soaked?

All of that is using the assumption that this is only when the engine is warm, but I've seen this as well with the truck under 120 degrees.  I mentioned earlier that I planned to adjust my valves again this weekend and this was one of the reasons why.  Just odd that there are two people seeing this now.  I have to wonder is this is truly timing related though because the Smarty notoriously pushes more timing then what we are currently using on the quad and no problems at all have been recorded through the years.  I'm not doubting your theory but I'm not quite convinced that the reasoning is strictly because of timing.

Currently I don't really have a good idea on this one but curious to see if anyone else has noticed anything.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Carbur8tr said:

Or potentially could be that the pintle is not able to move as freely so you're getting a bit of a hesitation as the pressure builds and finally pushes the pintle up at a latter point in the stroke effectively showing itself through a lope or miss

Exactly.

I'm not absolutely sure either, but it is weird how I got the random miss and then just turning down the timing made it stop. All I can say is try it and see. The only thing I can think of is the pintle binding up in the nozzle from the heat soak. Never does it cold. Only after long run of the interstate or highway with about 20-20.5* of timing. 

• Owner

Idle. Vehicle stopped.

Just make a 40 to 50 mile run down the interstate with 20-20.5* timing exit the interstate and come to stop. It will randomly miss. Normal idle speed (850 RPM), coolant (195*), IAT doesn't matter, TPS (ZERO), etc. All you need is the A/C to cycle and the miss will vanish. 

Drop cruise timing 1-2* and it will not show up.