• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

• Owner

Ok back when I quoted the 19 to 21 degree stock timing. I figured it out and can repeat it many times now. IAT 50 to 60F, then set you cruise at 45, 55, 65 MPH now sample the stock timing by flipping to level 0 while cruising on flat ground low engine load.

This is part of that timing increase when the IAT falls below 80F.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

13 hours ago, Carbur8tr said:

I agree, I guess my big question is cruise timing and just timing in general and what the purpose was to pull it down so significantly under load and acceleration.

I wouldn't think twice but dropping timing by 9 or so degrees is definitely pointing to a purpose, not just random coding.  Also to the cylinder heat, if the higher timing does indeed increase the amount of heat in the cylinder this could be why the timing, when cold, is so high.  The engineers might have designed it this way to get the cylinder temperature up quicker.

Purely to reduce cylinder pressure. Warranty reasons. Hard on head gaskets.

12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

@Carbur8tr I %100 agree.  

I am fairly sure that your truck, being an ho, needs a 1*-2* offset of timing compared to ours.  I am all but sure the HO pumps are advanced in their design.

The only thing I am pretty dang sure of is that we aren't going to run into issues with the current way timing is working.  If the old Quadzilla tunes weren't blowing head gaskets left and right I very much doubt we will now.  I data logged the old stuff and just laughed.  :doh:

It might be that 20* is too much timing for cruise state for some guys.  Mine doesn't seem to care, but my auto keeps the truck loaded at idle so I might never hear or encounter it.

Dunno I am very glad that the vp44 is "user friendly" when it comes to tuning.   I made some mistakes in code that maxed out timing at 30* under 1500 rpm lol and nothing bad happened.  I am sure prolonged at that would, but overall the system seems pretty "nick" proof.

Could your elevation play a role in your truck liking higher timing? I've turned mine down to sit at a constant 17.75-18 degrees @ 2000 rpm vs 19 and noticed I can go 180 miles on 1/8th of a tank, compared to 1/4 tank the other day. That is a milestone for me considering how many times I have to merge onto the freeway. I don't pussyfoot around. 

Edited by crf450ish

• Owner
21 hours ago, crf450ish said:

Could your elevation play a role in your truck liking higher timing?

21 hours ago, Me78569 said:

it very well might be.

My elevation is lower as well. I might travel over a few high point but spend a majority of time at 2,000 to 3,000 foot range on my runs. Max might reach 5,200 feet (Outside McCall, ID). I got to admit I love my performance tune I'm lower in the timing curve but pulls so darn hard. Now as for the economy tune I'm attempting to find the sweet spot on this. Starting a bit high and going to work my way down. I know with the current factors 20* and above timing is rather harsh and not getting much for MPG's. 

Update 3/5/2017

nothing to report..... :thumbup2:  I would call things stable.

@Carbur8tr

Spent a good deal of time today watching timing.  I can say without a doubt that we are in "safe" realm for timing.  have you ever run a smarty on your truck?  if so did it ever do this timing knock?

So this idle thing you guys speak of. Seems like everyone's trucks idle a bit different. 

When I had my 300's in, it would idle at 800. It didn't matter if it was cold, hot, moving at 50mph, stationary, etc.

Now that I stuffed these stockers in, it idles at 815 when cold and not moving, 805 when warm and not moving, and 870ish when moving in neutral. What is up with this????

I also need to fill up, but I've been running 2* on cruise timing and I think the mileage on this tank will be at least 20 with old crappy injectors. (No weird missing for me either) 

@Mopar1973Man Hard to say on the injectors, if your theory is correct I have to wonder if the cylinder pressure is fatiguing the spring??? I've been talking with Nick a bit and agree that from the looks of the smarty data, the issue that we are having holds little water based off of the excess timing argument.  I know of a few people running the smarty and no one has ever complained about rough idle.  Still leads me to question though where this is coming from.  My injectors are fairly new so I would be very disappointed if I had one trying to go on me.

@TFaoro my idle can range anywhere from 830ish to below 800 when the idle is rough like described.  I think I've seen as low as 790.

update 3/6/17 I opened my stupid mouth and I found a bug.  :doh:

It appears that if you are over 3500 rpm you might encounter a rogue value that causes timing to do funky stuff.  I am working on it now.

On the bright side I turned 3668 rpm so I must be a sled puller :shifty:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Me78569

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

update 3/6/17 I opened my stupid mouth and I found a bug.  :doh:

It appears that if you are over 3500 rpm you might encounter a rogue value that causes timing to do funky stuff.  I am working on it now.

On the bright side I turned 3668 rpm so I must be a sled puller :shifty:

Capture.PNG

Keep saying it's done and I'll keep finding things :lmao:

Alright,  Bug has been fixed.  Timing is doing what it should be doing above 3500 rpm.

Capture.PNG

If your truck sees 3400+ rpm I would suggest you update to the lastest hardfule or standard fuel tune.  Well really I would suggest updating to keep up with the jone's 

The flash is posted in the download section.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, Carbur8tr said:

@crf450ish are you running an iDevice?

Not now. Using wife's old android phone as a monitor. Already sent in wifi dongle and Spencer swapped it out for a bluetooth dongle. Got it today. 

Why?

Edited by crf450ish