• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck shuts off but starts back up

Here is a good one I have been fighting,

truck shuts off like you turned the key off while driving but wait a few seconds and it starts right back up, but if you try to just start it back upwithout waiting it will just crank. No codes, doesn't crank like it ran out of fuel just starts back up. Could it be a ground? New vp44, App, alternator. Yesterday day on a 300 mile trip it did it more often like something had to cool down. I'm thinking maybe computer? 

9 hours ago, Me78569 said:

so I am assuming you are using the key to start the truck back up?

I was going to ask the same question.....or assume the truck is haunted. :ahhh:

If I understand the situation, it sounds like the truck simply doesn't like to re-start not long after shutting off when the engine is at full operating temperature.  Correct?  If so, we call that a "hard hot start".

If this is the problem then a few questions:

Has the VP been replaced?

What fuel pump are you using?

Whats the running fuel pressures?

And just to make sure.....this ONLY happens when the engine is at full operating temperature? :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Starts right back up, no problems. Not hard to start in the cold. Vp was replaced twice thinking that was the problem. Even replaced the fuel pump with rapter about 19 psi idle. Leaning towards ecm problem. you never really know when it's going to do it, drove 600 miles yesterday and never missed a beat and there were some long big hills. Just like someone reached in and shut truck off. Wait 5 seconds and starts back up?

• Staff
25 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

So you have to sit there and let it "automatically" start back up on its own?????

I think he said it shuts down on its own without warning, then like something has to cool off, wait a few seconds or minutes to fire it back up with the key again.

• Like 1

Yes, I have to slow down and stop put it in park shut it off turn the key back on and it starts right back up. Doesn't crank like it ran out of fuel has like a 1 second crank and starts right up. I have worked with allot of diesel's and this one has me baffled. No check engine light or codes. ECM is spendy but so was the industrial injection vp pumps so I hope that fixes it, we will see when I get the money to change it. I am going to do some more test first before shotgunning it with an ECM. Just wondered if anyone had a similar problem.

• Staff

I would look into the items connected with what makes en engine shut down when the key is turn to the off position. I don't know if the second gens had a fuel shut of solenoid or what is responsible for shutting them down with the key. Something is shutting it down like you were using the key, I think that's what is causing the problem.

• 4 months later...

Hey Greengiant, did you get this issue figured out? If you did i would love to know what it was. Im having the exact same problem. The first time was about 2-3 months ago, I left are cabin for home, its long rough lane and half way out just shut down like if I would have turn the switch off. Sat there for a minute puzzled scratchin my head, hit the switch, started right up like nothing happened, drove 250 miles to home with out a problem and nothing since until last night. I was coming home from town pulled up my driveway halfway and shut down! Pushed in the brake so it wouldn't drift, put it in park, hit the switch, started right up without hitch. Drove fifty feet to the top of driveway, got out looked under the hood, everthing seemed fine. This morning went out started it to warm up. Went to town, came home without a problem. Go figure??? Seems like a problem in the switch or ground issue maybe, i dont know, im not an electrical guy. Anybody with ideas or suggestions, PLEASE chime in!

KLcammie, the trucks an 02 and I have an Airdog installed. Hawkez, no check engine light and no codes. Seems to me like it's an electrical issue. It's only second time it's happened but I don't like it. You never when it going to shut off, could be kinda dangerous.