• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crappy Morning...

• Owner

This morning I'm bring the RV over to the guest house to dump the waste tanks. Everyone knows you start with your black tank then switch to the grey tank(s) after the black is emptied. Right off the bat I pull the rod completely out of the black tank knife valve. (Oh Flippin' Great!) I'm off to New Meadows, ID to pick up a new valve and install it. At least I had the luck of the draw and the valve opened and dumped. Instead of yanking the rod out without dumping. (Ewwww! that would be nasty!).

Just another adventure of turning wrenches I guess....

Also got to check the wheel bearing I've got one creating a squeak now... Not a good sign... 

• Owner

Ugh... The valve is all the way on the passenger side of the RV and the handle is on the driver side. Then all the screws were rusted in the bottom. So about 3 or 4 screws I had to grind the heads off to get the belly pan down. Then I was barely able to reach the 4 bolts and nuts. Then the two pipe flanges barely had enough room pulling on it to get the valve out. Then putting in back in place I had to reach in and single handed and stretch the rubber seals on the flanges. Then once the seal in place try and pull the pipe careful back and stick the between without knocking the seals off. What a pain in the rear. It back in place for now I'm going to dump 5-10 gallons of water in the tank and check for leaks. The valve was fairly cheap at 19 dollars and not really a tough job normally but when you force to work it single handed makes it tough.

• Staff

Not tough for a contortionist and magician like you Michael.

I wonder why they call it a 'knife valve'  expecting some big ones?? :bolt:

Anyway enough joking around....... I heard that pouring Johnson baby oil in there each year after it's put away for the winter keeps the rubber seals lubed and soft so this doesn't happen.