• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty and boost vs throttle(where is Mike)

So I have been quite aggressive with playing with this smarty. I have tried about 35 different combinations, and several workable tunes, and I also have debunked the long  standing myth that the adjustment options were related to   SW. They are not.

Each setting is indeed a subset, that effects the whole fuel map. 

With being said, I am now at a crossroads. How do I know I have hit the sweet spot. For example I have several settings where I notice the same acceleration rate is accompanied by lower boost 10'lbs or if I change  tm I can see +/-15lbs on  same road section.  The smoke control is also there. 

However on other  settings I feel like I am forcing the motor to accelerate, it feels like a motor that can't get out its own way. 

So my question is what is ideal in terms of boost, to egt. I realize that 100's are not best choice. 

21 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

So I have been quite aggressive with playing with this smarty. I have tried about 35 different combinations, and several workable tunes, and I also have debunked the long  standing myth that the adjustment options were related to   SW. They are not.

Each setting is indeed a subset, that effects the whole fuel map. 

With being said, I am now at a crossroads. How do I know I have hit the sweet spot. For example I have several settings where I notice the same acceleration rate is accompanied by lower boost 10'lbs or if I change  tm I can see +/-15lbs on  same road section.  The smoke control is also there. 

However on other  settings I feel like I am forcing the motor to accelerate, it feels like a motor that can't get out its own way. 

So my question is what is ideal in terms of boost, to egt. I realize that 100's are not best choice. 

Ideal will be different based upon what you want.  My tunng with the quadzilla doesn't even reach oem fueling levels until 12ish psi.  Below 12 psi I am less agressive than stock.      the truck moves around fine with my 100's and sub oem fueling.   I wouldn't be so worries about psi or EGT, rather I would tune for smoke conrol vs how you want the truck to drive.  

Yep,

Some of the tables are open, the important ones at least.  

However I cannot stomach the price.  too rich for my blood, plus the changes I was able to make to the quad base tunes keeps me very happy.  I doubt udc could make my truck run that much better at this point. 

• Like 1

The smarty is limited to 65 hp.  that's about it.   The quad doesn't read codes and the edge doesn't fuel to 3200 rpm.  

I would love to try the smarty pro udc, but last time I checked you were well over a grand for the setup needed.

If you have not seen the quad v2 videos tyler has posted I would take a look, half because I wrote the new tunes and I am bias and half because it is WAY cheaper and offers a really nice end result.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

@pepsi71ocean there is running large injectors and has poor boost to fuel control on the current smart. It's been a constant battle of attempting to either clear up smoke or gain the power back. I still say it would be best for him to drop the smarty and got to Edge or Quadzilla with much better boost to fuel control. 

On 8/20/2016 at 0:35 PM, CSM said:

Have you made a method for your tuning?

Yes, I started  on lvl 3 and adjusts  each parameter one at a time. It was really a pia but I discovered that duration should  be set to 1, an  that helps allot with smoke control.

It seems the TM right now is on 3 an  that if I raise it to 4 it gives a little smoke on start up. 

Timing is set to 2.

Now my testing methods were to take this truck and start it from a stop and turn the wheel and study for ease of smoke production, an  the other test to was womp on it from 47-60 and observe how long  it took to spool.

I noticed that on lvls 3 -5 -7 -9 the amount of smoke increased so I decreased TM and duration down. When I ran my 60's I used to run the timing on 3, however with the 100's I think the truck struggles to speed up which is one of my questions.

Now everyone has always said that if you max out the revo settings that it was the same as if you ran lvl 9, I have com  to differ, because if so smoke production would remain the same regardless of what level you run, but as I've noticed smoke is non existent on lvl 5, (revo 3,2,1) while on lvl 7 I see a bit of a haze under the 45-60 snap test.

On 8/21/2016 at 10:58 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

@pepsi71ocean there is running large injectors and has poor boost to fuel control on the current smart. It's been a constant battle of attempting to either clear up smoke or gain the power back. I still say it would be best for him to drop the smarty and got to Edge or Quadzilla with much better boost to fuel control. 

I have discovered that lowering the tm # down really with pre boost fueling. But  biggest  effect is duration. By taking duration up I have  noticed that effects egts as well as smoke on my 45-60 snap.

At this point I have truck where basically I can step on it, get a baby haze for a second  or two, but I'm concerned about the ratio of boost to torque, as the truck on different settings will product the same acceleration.

I'm currently running TM 3 Timing 2 and duration 1, on lvl 7.

For example, when setting  on my the TM to 6  the acceleration is  same, however  torque is so high  that under 50% throttle I see 10lbs of boost, but TM 4 I see the   acceleration but  15lbs of boost.

My concerns come  with  the notion   that how do know I'm to much timing or fueling etc for  motors sake. 

This truck now has more go  power, and almost no smoke in  normal acceleration. 

However I have discovered my  transmission loves to be in 4th when it should in 3rd and in 3rd when it  should be in 2nd.

With  this discovery helped allot   the smoke, and lagging on the  turbo. I will investigate this further because I do not believe this is normal. 

I shouldn't be cruising in 4th  unlocked at 30-35 mph. 

• Like 1