• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back up fuel system

First posting as new member. 

Anybody have a link or ideas about a "back up" fuel system ready to go if current system falls apart?  Had Air Dog system (100) installed last Feb after Fass system ( that was installed in 2004) started giving problems.  Of course this couldn't happen at home.   Between Dealer having a 3 week wait to get in (because snowbirds like me) dealer actually told me they won't fix it because it is not "stock" and had to have work done at actually 3 places (butcher shops) that really abused my back pocket.  Wondering if I could install something that I could just turn a ball valve or maybe a switch to use one pump system and use "back up" system if one fails. 

Hate to admit it but I have little under $3,000 into getting fuel problem fixed.  And its still not fixed right, in my opinion? Locally (at home) I know where to go and have some equipment to it fix myself.  We tow wives trailer to warmer weather in winter 6 or 7 months out of the year.  RV parks usually not to happy to letting you drop your tank or do work under hood. 

Example of poor work done...removed a piece of schedule 40 pvc pipe used in the new fuel line yesterday.  I could give a long story of what happened but it would be better if I had a "back up" fuel system waiting to be used if one failed. But not sure how to rig up.

Thanks for any help

Edited by 015point9

If you wanted a redundant fuel system, you could run two pumps in parallel. You'd need 4 ball valves though. One in front of and one behind each pump. You'd need two Y's. One for suction and one for pressure. You'd only need one harness, because if one pump failed you could just plug it into the other pump. It wouldn't be very hard to do.

3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

If you wanted a redundant fuel system, you could run two pumps in parallel. You'd need 4 ball valves though. One in front of and one behind each pump. You'd need two Y's. One for suction and one for pressure. You'd only need one harness, because if one pump failed you could just plug it into the other pump. It wouldn't be very hard to do.

Ideally id want two pumps into one regulator with checks and a function light.  

Really cool would be a jet pump like are on aircraft with an engine driven pump and a stand by electric for starting or automatically turned of from fuel px.  no moving parts, but a ton of plumbing.

11 minutes ago, CSM said:

Ideally id want two pumps into one regulator with checks and a function light.  

Really cool would be a jet pump like are on aircraft with an engine driven pump and a stand by electric for starting or automatically turned of from fuel px.  no moving parts, but a ton of plumbing.

That's almost exactly what the fuel boss is! You can wire in a light to the Hobbs switch so you know when it's open and closed....

17 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

That's almost exactly what the fuel boss is! You can wire in a light to the Hobbs switch so you know when it's open and closed....

But in mt mind, the fboss ideally would push fuel back to an in tank venturi jet pump.  No moving parts aft of the engine other than an electric standby thst normally is bypassed.

I have my AD165 plumbed thru the oe canister. It would be fairly simple to mount a fass or AD direct replacement on the block and plumb a simple by pass in the fuel line. AD dies, flip the valves, and swap the plug and you are in business again. 

53 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

One word..... Fluidampr

I just saw yesterday that Glacier now sells a bracket that allows the fuel boss to be used with the Fluidampr :-)

see the **NOTE** in red at the bottom of the description in this link

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FB-98502

Edited by leathermaneod

Yeah idk, maybe with the smaller "hyper drive" gear? It says it flows up to 20% more....when I first spoke to Richard about it, I asked about 1/2" lines. He said it was possible, though more difficult because the pump itself is made for 3/8", but that they were running some on crazy pulling trucks. Maybe you would need a setup like that. It would certainly be interesting to see how it would keep up for you. 

Edited by leathermaneod

OP here...Thanks for all the replies.  If it won't hurt an Air Dog pump maybe the best thing I could do is buy a spare and carry it with me?  If I do buy a spare to carry do think any rubber or valves or whatever is inside will "dry out" or become inop by the time I might need it?

This was the first time we've really stranded in a new place (Yuma, AZ).  Never want to be in that situation again.  Dealer wouldn't work in it "sorry big waiting list and not OEM",  first garage, (first towing bill) the mechanic said he used to work for Dodge, Ok great.  After changing fuel module, and watching him trying to prime the fuel filter he finally admitted that he did work for Dodge,  but was their alignment guy.  Second garage (second towing bill) re-did the wiring to FASS pump after they thought first guy messed up the wiring or bent return fuel line.  Third shop, (third towing bill)about 20 farms trucks and tractors all owned by his customers that have been doing business with him for years.  Guess where my truck ended up? Parked against fence for over 2 weeks, then he ordered parts.  Overnighted the parts in and when parts came in, truck still sat for 3 days.  That mechanic had to talk with the Spanish guy on the "Tech" line" who sometimes came to work sometimes didn't.  But his Spanish did come in handy after he broke my fuel tank putting in a sump.  He called somebody on the other side of the border and 3 hours later I (not the mechanic) had a "slightly used" tank deliveried out of a Mexican junk yard for $75.00 cash.  Had to meet the guy bring it from Mexico at a Walmart in a taxi to get delivery. :whistle:  Then taxi won't let in his taxi as it was still dripping fuel.  Found some cardboard behind Walmart to cover best we could...Whole deal felt like I smuggling something:doh:   And  I had a full tank when I got their and he didn't re-fill, I brought it to his attention.  He re-filled it alright, with a syphon from some big irrigation pump thing next to where my truck was parked.   Yep, red dye fuel.  On and on was this disaster went on.  Total bill just over $2,900...  Never want it to happen again.  Hense looking into duel fuel system or atleast carry a spare. 

Another thing...I can't get the donation page to work. 

Sorry for the venting.  I'm in Pac NW and we are so lucky to have so many mechanics to choose from. Not all places are like that.

7 hours ago, 015point9 said:

This was the first time we've really stranded in a new place (Yuma, AZ).  Never want to be in that situation again.  Dealer wouldn't work in it "sorry big waiting list and not OEM",  first garage, (first towing bill) the mechanic said he used to work for Dodge, Ok great.  After changing fuel module, and watching him trying to prime the fuel filter he finally admitted that he did work for Dodge,  but was their alignment guy.  Second garage (second towing bill) re-did the wiring to FASS pump after they thought first guy messed up the wiring or bent return fuel line.  Third shop, (third towing bill)about 20 farms trucks and tractors all owned by his customers that have been doing business with him for years.  Guess where my truck ended up? Parked against fence for over 2 weeks, then he ordered parts.  Overnighted the parts in and when parts came in, truck still sat for 3 days.  That mechanic had to talk with the Spanish guy on the "Tech" line" who sometimes came to work sometimes didn't.  But his Spanish did come in handy after he broke my fuel tank putting in a sump.  He called somebody on the other side of the border and 3 hours later I (not the mechanic) had a "slightly used" tank deliveried out of a Mexican junk yard for $75.00 cash.  Had to meet the guy bring it from Mexico at a Walmart in a taxi to get delivery. :whistle:  Then taxi won't let in his taxi as it was still dripping fuel.  Found some cardboard behind Walmart to cover best we could...Whole deal felt like I smuggling something:doh:   And  I had a full tank when I got their and he didn't re-fill, I brought it to his attention.  He re-filled it alright, with a syphon from some big irrigation pump thing next to where my truck was parked.   Yep, red dye fuel.  On and on was this disaster went on.  Total bill just over $2,900...  Never want it to happen again.  Hense looking into duel fuel system or atleast carry a spare. 

I think I saw that movie before. :wink:.  It sucks when things go wrong and you are left up crap creek. 

Yep, been there, my first go round with my fuel system was from the dealer. And with a bill of about 3 grand, and a little over a year later everything they did ended up in the trash can, and vp sent away as a core.

As far as having a back up pump I carry a spare AD 100 just because I got a deal on a used one. ( hopefully I will never need it)  but I have a brass ball valve installed in the suction side line, just to stop the flow of fuel incase I ever do have to remove pump or change it. 

Also hope you do have a fuel pressure gauge, that's about the best insurance you can have.

14 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Also hope you do have a fuel pressure gauge, that's about the best insurance you can have.

I had a light went off at 5psi or lower.  I learned the hard way, Not good enough.  Called Geno's garage today about fuel pressure gauge, but having problems finding gauge pod.  "A" pillar already has 3.  Trying to get pod holder for fuel pressure gauge of what is in this pic (closet to drivers window)  

KnMtUuGl[1].jpg

• Staff

That looks very similar to my set up.

working.JPG

the boost gauge is bottom left, the fuel pressure bottom of the A post, trans temp then exhaust temp.

The green light tells me that I've locked the torque converter up with my mystery switch.

I'm using a Fuel Boss with an Airtex back up pump that's unplugged. 

My gauges my move out about 1/16" in 1year.