• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door rubbing issue

Am I the only one with sagging front doors?  I put new hinges in two years ago and they have drooped down again!  This then rubs the paint off of my rocker panel causing rust.  I now have spacers in the bottom drivers hinge to push the tail corner up lasted for awhile and now it still took paint off.   the passenger side needs more significant repairs but I want to get some opinions first

I'm trying to get pix the images were to big

1471959722265484767646.jpg

1471959740930-504328090.jpg

1471959762013-1662889472.jpg

14719597787291551694307.jpg

14719598021732123599743.jpg

1471959874021-2068495880.jpg

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

• Staff

Welcome to the Forum Benjamin.

Your adjusting the hinges too for the correct closure / alignment and then wear out in 2 yrs?  Wow. :think:

The bushings wore on my first gen twice now and I just replaced them 2 weeks ago. Doors aren't perfect but close and don't have the door wearing on the paint any longer.

I think some bushings are softer than others.

Yes I had the doors in perfect alignment 2 years ago now the drivers side upper hinge bushing is bad and partially disintegrated.

then the passenger side just seemed to fall out of alignment the bushings are still tight.  But the door closes hard and rubs paint off...

I don't get this are the hinges bad already after 20k when the original ones lasted over 250k :think:

• Staff

Am I seeing it right... your hinges look a bit dry of  lubrication? Not sure, I try to keep mine greased. The 92 gets worked a lot harder.

Are you adjusting your hinges too? In case you did not know, you loosen the bolts holding the hinge and it slides around 4 ways for adjustments. Easier to have a buddy holding the door weight up some too.

I try to keep the hinges oiled with a light weight oil.  It seems to work better than grease.... for me at least.  Now I only about 30 percent of the time on improved roads, so fine dust and salt getting stuck in the grease seamed to make it worse...

Regarding the hinges to cab mount I understand that it's adjustable but it's bolted from the inside of the cab going out I can reach the lower bolt but not the upper, if that makes sense, it's up in the dash it seams.

As for pointing out the striker the more I look at it side to side is definitely not right drivers side hangs out past the rocker passenger side is inside the rocker.....:doh:

• Staff

I haven't had to adjust my second gen hinges yet,(only 85k miles) but on my first gen all you need is a ratchet and right size socket.

Loosen the bolt heads to the hinge and the door will move around with the threaded backing plate moving with the door. Threaded backing plate is on the dash side. Seems like second gens ought to be the same :thumb1:

• Owner

Open the door and lift from the outside edge? Does the door lift or move a wee bit? If so you are going to need a hinge bushing kit. You can remove the brass bushing and replace both the pin and the bushings in the hinges. 

Typically the doors never need adjustment just the bushings wear out and the door sags. Like my truck I keep the hinges lubed and clean so there is still no wear in my doors. The worse case I've seen is the owner slamming the door till they broke the latch in the door and tore the sheet metal. 

Hmm that's a bad day when you tear metal.... drivers side definitely needs a bushing kit but the passenger side is definitely not adjusted proper.

I didn't know that the hinges were rebuildable, so I had a shop replace them 2 years ago that was done when the truck got repainted and the dash was out at the time....

That being said when it came back everything was good and now just the passenger side looks all whacky the door doesn't line up with the rocker, the fender, or the hood

The striker was adjusted on the drivers side.  That along with a bushing kit will take care of that.

The passenger side though needs some work and I have not yet found a way to do this without removing the dash....

That's interesting first time I put a ruler on it.... 2-3mm off looks a lot worse than it sounds :think:

1472403061257-1831040231.jpg

1472403094221-1498125965.jpg

1472403105561173303230.jpg

1472403126400-1535235724.jpg

1472403147224181505485.jpg

1472403215075-2053100216.jpg

1472403280595-638800700.jpg

1472403303401-893044534.jpg

That would not be the case this body replaced the rotted out body, I like the idea.:thumbup2: 

This one is from Texas and fully underlined with monster liner, this will be the first time it sees snow if it doesn't get stored again.....

I work summer usually take winter off drive the Chevy beater truck to the UP and disappear for a few months.....

4 hours ago, stevens cummins said:

Wish I could store mine but it my only 4x4 and when it snows here ill not go with out it to many hills

It's only stored because I go off the grid for awhile and don't need any modern necessity such as cars, phone, electric, running water....  I work on campers mainly class A's so winter is slow I use up my paid vacation and bank it then go enjoy peace of mind for awhile :thumbup2: