• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve storage

I plan on storing my Cummins from November to April other then making sure coolant is up to snuff and antigel is in full and full tank and float charger what else should I do air tires to max psi to prevent flat spotting ? Need tips here guys 

Also going to be inside on gravel floor so dryer sheets every where lol

I would expect oil leaks within a month of firing it back up unless you find someone to drive it a couple times a month.  

Long term storage has a way of finding weak seals.  Not awful, but id expect a couple new leaks. 

5 minutes ago, CSM said:

I would expect oil leaks within a month of firing it back up unless you find someone to drive it a couple times a month.  

Long term storage has a way of finding weak seals.  Not awful, but id expect a couple new leaks. 

It's sat for the last 4 years over winter by previous owner it only seal it needs it the vac pump oring 

• Owner

The only thing you need to do is open up the driver side door and pull the IOD fuse out of the socket. That's it. This disconnects the battery from the truck.

Don't need to jack up the axles. Tire will hold up to a full winter of sitting. Be just a bit rough on initial startup but after few miles of warming up the rubber they come right back. Think about it my RV stands on the tire months without moving and has zero impact of the life of tires. I just hitch up a roll. I weighs in at close to 8,000 pound just standing on the tires. Again no impact of long term standing.

Don't need to add anything to the fuel. Diesel fuel doesn't degrade like gasoline. Like right now all Idaho fuels are already being started on winterized fuels. So no need for anti-gel being it already in the fuel. Also you don't plan on driving till next spring so you don't need the anti-gel anyways. 

The only thing I would do is change all the fluids in the spring of the year. If the vehicle is parked outside the condensation will occur in all the differentials, transfer case, etc. Where normal daily driving will warm the fluids up to vent the moisture off normally.

Like my truck a couple of winters I've parked my truck because of high diesel prices and gasoline was way cheaper.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

It's sat for the last 4 years over winter by previous owner it only seal it needs it the vac pump oring 

Fortunate.  Your seals must have been put in right.  

I recently saw two separate aircraft propellers start leaking pretty good from being out of service for a few months.  They were fine when flown regularly, but not after a 4 month period of sitting static.  

6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

More so a joke then reality just because these planes and engines are well aged. Although certain things are allowed to leak more then others!

Leaking within limits is a thing. Haha.

Ours arent bad, but it happens.  

I garage mine over winter....I have my reasons.  But I will drive it as much as possible if the roads are clear during the months it sits (our last winter wasn't bad snow-wise).  No issues with leaks other then the output shaft on the transfer case which was like that when I bought it....next project.   Our Wisconsin winters are extremely dry which is a good but bad thing I'm sure.  One of my relatives has a 99 Powerstroke dually and he has been storing it since he got it used about 10 years ago.  Completely different vehicle but no issues on his end.

I would highly suggest to drive it whenever you can.  Make sure you get all of your fluids properly heated up the first time you decide to take it out.  Go for a nice long cruise.  

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only thing you need to do is open up the driver side door and pull the IOD fuse out of the socket. That's it. This disconnects the battery from the truck.

Still necessary if the batteries are removed from the vehicle to be stored indoors on float chargers?

Edited by sooxies
grammer
  • Like 1