• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Changing to P or VE

For the un-educated,  like myself ...what are the plus and minuses of going from VP44 to a “P pump” or a "VE pump on a 2001?   Recently talking with a guy that loves his.  But he is into lots of horse power and mod’s.  For the a stock everyday driver would the change be any good?  I’m totally confused.  He was talking VE and P pumps.

Is going to a “P pump”  or “VE pump” a  horse power  or dependability  mod?  Or maybe not even a upgrade and just create more problems?  I did a search online and seemed to me people heavy into mods, a different type of pump might help them.  But not sure about someone like myself that just wants to remove as many known weakness and hassles as possible.

My goal if I made any changes would be to not have any more fuel problems.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

For a "stockish" truck you can't beat the vp44. Variable timing, tuning on the fly, better mileage, etc. If you're wanting to go over 650hp then you should look into a Ppump. I honestly don't know why anyone would put a VE pump on, but I've been surprised before. 

If you have a good vp44, good fuel pressure (15+psi at all times), good fuel, and a good alternator your vp44 should give you many years and at least a couple hundred thousand miles of reliable service. 

My oe VP only lasted 70K. The reman replacement from Dodge lasted 150k. It was about half way thru its life that I learned the importance of fuel pressure and got fixed. I am confident thats why the second one lasted longer. The one on it now has 170k on it with no signs that anything is wrong. It has had a steady diet of good FP and 2 stroke, there are other choices on an additive. Bio diesel seems good also, been running a good bit of that lately. Hope it still has a lot of life left in it, but who knows. 

Properly taken care a VP is not a weak link.

• Owner

Just like my last trip of 422 miles hauling a Cummins engine down to Caldwell, ID and come home the next day. Nove 5 & 6. This includes running the interstate at 80 MPH. There isn't a P7100 setup out there that can touch this kind of fuel mileage on 24V engine. Fuel to boost management is crude at best and static timing. You might want to hop over to the Quadzilla thread and check out the improvements we are making. 

Screenshot_2016-11-06-18-38-28.png

Moparman said ....

"Just like my last trip of 422 miles hauling a Cummins engine down to Caldwell, ID and come home the next day. Nove 5 & 6. This includes running the interstate at 80 MPH. There isn't a P7100 setup out there that can touch this kind of fuel mileage on 24V engine. Fuel to boost management is crude at best and static timing. You might want to hop over to the Quadzilla thread and check out the improvements we are making.  "

OK,  staying with VP44 seems to be the answer.  I've been reading some about that Quadzilla thread and totally confused right now. After I get my fuel problem fixed I'm going to start learning more about elec then move on from there to bigger and better things, Quadzilla might be it.  You folks will probably have all the problems worked out by then.

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

You folks will probably have all the problems worked out by then.

Thanks again

i got 99 problems but a bug ain't one of them....things with the Quad are stable.  Everything is working.  I am now working on getting TM worked out for future stuff.