• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed a Nations alternator - results

So, as Mike stated, the alternator amp mostly exists the prevent frying everything in the PDC if some numbskull puts the jumper cables on backwards?

Thanks for the input, guys. It seems like the 180 amp alternator is a nice middle ground between the keeping the stock alternator and going whole hog, re-wiring everything for a 230 amp or greater alternator.

I received my Nations 180 amp alternator and installed it today. I'm getting a fluctuating reading of .036-.042 VAC. For reference, the factory Bosch unit I replaced was putting out a steady .035 VAC. Is it possible I made a mistake somewhere on install?

It may take some time for it to break in, brushes to armature can create ac noise when brand new, give it little time and check it again, also make sure all grounds are in good shape, for that matter all connections. Mine been around that since I rebuild it with no side effects, before I rebuild it it was close to .06 I belive at idle and over .1 reving up. 

A while back I created an article with known high-output alternators. @GSP7 at that time sent me a link to nations starters and alternators... and a lot of their website pictures have pictures of alternators from DC Power Engineering (I think they may resell and also re-brand them) So I excluded them from the list as they didn't appear to make their own.

ex: https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/13988-180HP-High-Amp-Alternator-for-2004-2005-Dodg-p/13988-180hp.htm

I use DC Power Engineering alternators in all of my vehicles. only issue I've had is when they are cold, they sound like a supercharger whining on my gasers... (I wish)

Edited by wh82

I ordered my new Nations alt yesterday, it will be here Monday. I’ll report the numbers. It was a 13874-180HP btw, I called to confirm. 99-03

Although once I unhooked my grid heaters everything is working perfectly and my noise is reasonable so I dont even think I need the new alternator haha

Edited by s10010001
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It may take a bit for brushes to wear in place and it should go down, but if it's been like that for a while something isn't right. Are you measuring at alternator and all accessories off including grid heaters. 

Edit, ignore this post I looked at decimal point in wrong place, though it was .12 not sure why. Good news for you though. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
Screwd up

37 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

It may take a bit for brushes to wear in place and it should go down, but if it's been like that for a while something isn't right. Are you measuring at alternator and all accessories off including grid heaters. 

Edit, ignore this post I looked at decimal point in wrong place, though it was .12 not sure why. Good news for you though. 

yup, 0.012.. thats pretty good if you ask me :)

Edited by s10010001
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Because of this thread I just placed an order for a Nations alternator since I lost another brand new Bosh alternator from Napa tonight.  Ridiculous when the original went almost 200k, and the "new" replacements last only 30k and a couple of years.

• Like 1

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but my experience differs from that of others here. In fact, I purchased and installed a Nations alternator due to the positive reputation they had via this thread and others. Unfortunately, the Nations alternator had higher AC noise than the 175,000 mile stock alternator when installed. I attempted to contact Adam Nations repeatedly over the two month period post installation regarding this, via email, voicemail, and messages left with other employees of the company. At no time did anyone from Nations ever respond to my inqueries in a way other than "Adam will get back with you". I never heard back once. The AC noise has slowly crept up, not down, as some members here would have you believe happens with new alternators. 

• Thanks 1

I dont like hearing that about Nations. I had leaning towards their product for while. Hopefully they help you resolve the problem. That being said the mod that Mike mentions is a big helper of AC noise. I have about 100k on an Auto Zone alternator and the AC voltage had gotten up to .035. After doing the mod my AC voltage dropped to .01. It is a worthwhile and fairly simple thing to do.

What kind of AC readings are seeing?

8 hours ago, Bafazane said:

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but my experience differs from that of others here. In fact, I purchased and installed a Nations alternator due to the positive reputation they had via this thread and others. Unfortunately, the Nations alternator had higher AC noise than the 175,000 mile stock alternator when installed. I attempted to contact Adam Nations repeatedly over the two month period post installation regarding this, via email, voicemail, and messages left with other employees of the company. At no time did anyone from Nations ever respond to my inqueries in a way other than "Adam will get back with you". I never heard back once. The AC noise has slowly crept up, not down, as some members here would have you believe happens with new alternators. 

Interesting...  I would like to know more about your situation.  Like did you notice the AC noise right after installation?  Did you contact Nations immediately?  You have a 30 day return and a minimum 1 year warranty unless you opted for an additional warranty which is plenty of time to address your situation if it played out as you described.  I'm not saying I dont believe what you're saying but I'm having a hard time believing that Nations completely ignored your request and is leaving you high and dry as if nothing happened.

In saying that, if the AC truly is creeping up then why are you continuing to run that alternator?  It would be in your best interest to stop driving the truck until this is resolved, if possible.