• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust

6 hours ago, 015point9 said:

How much did it help EGT's. 

My stock muffler on 2001 is beginning to show its age.  Next couple years will be replacing. Muffler is rusting out on bottom.  

What set up would EGT's in check and not increase noise level?  Horse power wise I'm completely stock, usually towing 10K trailer.

Thanks

I cant measure in exact numbers how much it helped because it wasnt anything specific, but rather better over all.  The EGT's were very quick to jump up and easy to reach 1100*-1200*, but with the 4" I can be harder on the throttle without worrying about getting things as hot.  And in saying that, the hotter the EGT's are, the hotter the engine temperature will become on long uphill pulls.

Now again, its important to understand that I NEVER had a problem with EGT's (or that I thought) before towing my current 5th wheel.  But because this pup is so large the EGT's require more of a watchful eye.

Point being is, I'm not advocating everyone "needs" to toss out their stock exhaust but rather that if you tend to tow heavy a lot, and/or in mountainous hotter terrain, then likely the stock exhaust is, or could be, your limiting factor.

As for increasing noise levels, well thats a topic all in itself.  I dont mind the sound of my exhaust.  Actually I believe the engine noise to be the loudest component in the cab while towing, not the exhaust.  But I do understand that people who install large mufflers like the Donaldson, or nice FTE resonators, have nice low tone exhaust sound with aftermarket 4" or larger systems. :thumbup2:

• Like 3

Just something for all to ponder, turbochargers function off of pressure drop across the turbine. The greater the pressure drop the better the function. The turbo will always be the restriction in the system on these, granted no one decides to stuff a 2" exhaust on one just to irk me. It is part of the reason no one sees huge temperature drops when going up in size of the exhaust. I have had a few different setups with no real changes in temps. Turbo/s and injectors seem to win in that area.

• Like 4

• Owner
9 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Just something for all to ponder, turbochargers function off of pressure drop across the turbine. The greater the pressure drop the better the function. The turbo will always be the restriction in the system on these

9 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

It is part of the reason no one sees huge temperature drops when going up in size of the exhaust.

Bingo... :iagree:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Just something for all to ponder, turbochargers function off of pressure drop across the turbine. The greater the pressure drop the better the function. The turbo will always be the restriction in the system on these, granted no one decides to stuff a 2" exhaust on one just to irk me. It is part of the reason no one sees huge temperature drops when going up in size of the exhaust. I have had a few different setups with no real changes in temps. Turbo/s and injectors seem to win in that area.

I agree but I think you left out the part about heat and density, which may contribute to why the change in EGT isnt as significant as some may think it should be when installing a larger exhaust system.

Meaning yes, the force required to drive the impeller is not only created by the pressure drop across the turbine but also allowed by the density change as well.  We all know a "cold" turbo doesn't work very well.....

So in saying that, I understood that the overall EGT reduction when using aftermarket exhaust is not limited to turbo restriction nearly as much as its related to the amount of fueling based on the amount of drive pressure from the heat and cylinder pressure mechanically moving the impeller through the energy generated.  Thus the comments typically seen when installing an exhaust system is, "the turbo spools faster" or "the EGT's are about 100* cooler".  Meaning, physics wont allow for the temperature to be any "colder" per say unless the amount of fueling is reduced as well.  The reduction in EGT is merely based on the relevant increase by allowing those hot gases out of the bottleneck.

And if this is a discussion about "pondering" then I guess its also important to point out the speculation used in understanding how much more heat is being created by the increase in efficiency from the larger more free flowing exhaust as those very gases are allowed to expand and change temperature more rapidly than they were before.....but yet in turn create a more efficiently pressurized cylinder.

Turbos kinda hint a bit of the "chicken or the egg" riddle as there is no direct mechanical force to measure from.  We always hear/say that turbos are "free" power.....but are they really? :thumbup2:

• Staff
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm running a straight flow through 3" muffler. It really can't be heard in the cab. Outside its very mellow sounding. I ran straight pipe 3" for a very long time but wen I started towing long distance the drone was a new problem. Now just adding the flow through 3" muffler the drone issue is gone. Still zero restriction like a straight pipe but without the noise.

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/modification/229-straight-pipe-exhaust-with-muffler/

So what brand muffler did you go with?

I love that unmistakable mellow Cummins sound. I think it makes Ford guys covet the Cummins.

3 hours ago, dripley said:

The sound of a Cummins is distinctive.

Absolutely. And the 12 and 24 valves each have their distinct sound. Now these new ones I need to turn up the ole hearing aid to be able to tell what's in there :).. I went with 5" when I did mine simply because I like the sound better. I would not have taken the old off just to do that, but it needed replaced any how and the price difference between 4 and 5 was not that great.                              

• Like 1

I think ALL engines have very distinct sound characteristics.....

The 12 valve is the most "semi" sounding.

The VP 24 valve is very therapeutic, but clacks something fierce.

The CR engines can be somewhat rappy sounding with an aftermarket exhaust.

All the Powerstrokes sound like different versions of aluminum cans full of rocks.  On the throttle they have the fluttering sound of a blown cylinder too.

The Duramax sounds like a gasoline engine converted to diesel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dave110 said:

Absolutely. And the 12 and 24 valves each have their distinct sound. Now these new ones I need to turn up the ole hearing aid to be able to tell what's in there :).. I went with 5" when I did mine simply because I like the sound better. I would not have taken the old off just to do that, but it needed replaced any how and the price difference between 4 and 5 was not that great.                              

At the time I put mine on I was pretty much sold on the fact I needed to just due to the all the marketing out there. The Banks kit I bought came with the exhaust and everything else. As mentioned above it was the first time I had ever taken a perfectly good part of of a vehicle and threw it away.:think:

• Staff
24 minutes ago, dripley said:

At the time I put mine on I was pretty much sold on the fact I needed to just due to the all the marketing out there. The Banks kit I bought came with the exhaust and everything else. As mentioned above it was the first time I had ever taken a perfectly good part of of a vehicle and threw it away.:think:

Now you got me driving to all your jobs going dumpster diving....:punish:

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

I think ALL engines have very distinct sound characteristics.....

The 12 valve is the most "semi" sounding.

The VP 24 valve is very therapeutic, but clacks something fierce.

The CR engines can be somewhat rappy sounding with an aftermarket exhaust.

All the Powerstrokes sound like different versions of aluminum cans full of rocks.  On the throttle they have the fluttering sound of a blown cylinder too.

The Duramax sounds like a gasoline engine converted to diesel.

I like how you describe the sound of the Fords, they sound blown up every time I hear one.:lol3:

Thanks Michael, That's the one I am getting then. Now to get it cheaper than you jus soo you feel good :whistle:

Edited by JAG1

On 2/3/2017 at 6:47 PM, leon said:

I heard a 4" straight piped 12v Cummins with a resonator that sounded awesome on YouTube. I'm thinking now I might go that route. 

Whats the difference between a resonator and a flow thru muffler?

A muffler is supposed to muffle the sound by absorbing it within some type of material.  A resonator is supposed redirect the sound waves back into themselves at the same rate their being generated in attempt to cancel them out.

In saying that there are mufflers which look like resonators and resonators which look like mufflers..... :thumbup2:

• Like 3