• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

LOST POWER

I drove the truck for 2 hours on Interstate over weekend after I set the Edge Juice w/att. for the correct tire size. Truck still isn't shifting correctly and code po501 is still there.  If the dealership set my tires at 800 revolution per mile instead of 602 rpm could that set off the po501 code?   MPH on Gps,dashboard and Edge are with in 1 mph of each other.

Truck still is cutting out when i'm hard on it wanting to pass anything. Also yesterday the ABS computer under the dashboard is squelling when i'm hard on the pedal.  Pulled Alternator fuse out and it did not change anything. but it did set code 1682 which i cleared.  

• 3 weeks later...

Update today,  Truck has been at Dodge Dealership for 5 days, just today they called said they believe it is the ECM. No Signal coming from PCM  and all wires test Good.  Does anyone think ECM could cause 501 code and LOSS of Power "actually cuts out when hard on pedal"?  No Other Codes are present except the po1693 companion code

• Owner

Speed signal is generated by the ABS unit as far as I know. There is a second speed sensor in the transmission for shift parameters. As for the ECM I'm not sure. I can say for sure the data is piped over the CCD Network. I know for a fact if you unplug your ABS module there is no speed signal at all. You could try a test without that module.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I noticed that the truck cuts out when hard on pedal but also the boost topped out at 33psi.  I'm running smarty s03 and edge jusice w/att cts that is supposed to have boost fooling.  Would I need a higher boost sensor? Even If I stand on the pedal it goes hard than cuts out until i come off the pedal some.  

Maybe its Turbo is weak, it does have a very little play up and down on front impeller.  If Waste gate didn't open would the trucks ecm cut out the power until i backed off the pedal?  Too much duration in the Smarty?  

Stacking tuners that alter canbus is never a good idea, but it isn't whats causing your issues.

The smarty rewrites the boost limit in the ECM.  

I would unload the smarty and see if it acts better.  The edge is limit what the ecm sees for boost to ~20 psi so the smarty tuning never knows it is at high boost.  

From my understanding boost sensor is good way past 40psi, I see that sometimes if I don't pay attention as my waste gate is stuck shut I drive by boost guage. Soon I will update the defuel options for quad v2. My truck has stock turbo and up to 35psi it makes smooth power, but I do notice sometimes if I'm close to 40psi that it stars to serge some. I usually try not going above 35 as I'm probably not benifiting much past that point with stock turbo.

I took some of the power out of the truck today, Before when i get hard on the pedal it would cut out between 40-60% throttle. when i take power out it doesn't cut out until 60-70% throttle.  Spoke with All Computer Resource that is sending me a rebuilt ECM told me the 501 code and the power cutting out is a common issue they have seen.  IDK, but I have no choice but to put the new ECM on and go from there.  Dealership ruled out all possible wiring.  Any More Ideas it may otherwise be please let me know, 

• 3 weeks later...

I installed and updated New "Rebuilt" ECM and that did get rid of the code P0501 and the truck is starting up faster that it did before.  Thats the good news.  How ever when I put the power level on 6 it will cut out at half throttle. If I put the Edge on 5 it does not cut out now, but it doesn't seam like the level 5 was when i first put the truck together.  Edge wants the entire unit and wiring to test it there.  Any other ideas would be great!  Again If I nail the throttle it will launch hard than cut out until i back off the pedal 1/4 way.fuel is seams to be just being cut off.  Possible injection Pump IDK

another update:  Guys at ThoroughBred Diesel sent me out the New Edge Juice W/att. CTS  COMP! Level 7 with timing adjustments for ea. level.  Unit is Awesome, but that did NOT fix the truck with it Cutting out on Level 5-7.  Only option is to assume the VP-44 is bad?  Only code I get now is p0602 w/ p01693.  Anyone with other ideas i'm all ears.

could be a weak VP44, or it could be over advanced timing for the amount of fuel.  The level 7 stuff is pretty none discriptive when it comes to what the timing adjustment in.  Does the surge still happen if you turn "juice timing" off?  

Does the Edge add more timing on each level you increase or is it the same amount of timing on each level? The lvl 7 stuff didn't appear to have a per level type user adjustment.

I'd do some datalogging and see if anything sticks out when this happens, I however don't know how much info is able to be datalogged with the Edge setup.  If you can't see timing or canbus output then you are gonna have trouble seeing if the ecm is asking for weird stuff.

However P0602 is typical of a Smarty type tuner due to weird fueling tables that don't agree with the eeprom memory tables ( or the other way around)   So if you just got a new ECM I would be concerned about the ecm.  

I have the timing set to OFF for the Smarty S03.  On the New Edge Level 7 CTS you can change each level of timing 1-5 for each power setting 1-7 and still set 1-5 for low fuel/boost.  Unit is nice and I can tell there is more power with Timing set at 1 on level 5-7 but its still is NOT as powerful as the truck was when i first put it together.  I spoke with few people that sell Vp44's and they say "maybe" but with no code they are guessing if vp is bad.  I've noticed the 602 code showing up if I change power levels while driving, but if i change the power level in the driveway with key on engine off "koeo" the code does not show up.   Question for Ya?  Whats your thoughts on putting a P-pump 7100 on the truck with 150hp injuectors?  Can I still use both tuners and ECM,PCM?   With no TPS sensor connected the check engine light will be on all the time?  Just thinking of not risking the vp44 issues since I am putting twin turbos on the truck as well

I have tried unstacking the Smarty S03 and only running the Edge juice W/att. The truck does surge with or without the Smarty. Running Banks Air Box and Banks Intake, Straight pipe no restrictions,Edge/Smarty,Air Dog 150,Beans Fuel Sump kit.   When I take the Smarty Off the truck is has less reaction time and less pulling power.  Now as I stated posts ago, If I take all Power Programmers off the truck it has NO Power as if I am pulling a train and doesnt want to pick up speed at all!  Little scary when hill comes up cause it will slow down.  

I forgot to mention I did try a Edge Comp Box wire tap that does fuel only.  On 5x5 truck has ok power, still does surge little.  

Hard to know what you know by " no power" a stock 2nd gen truck is a real dog.  235 hp trying to pull 7000#.  

Do you have 150 injectors as well? or where you asking in regards to upgrading?  

The reason why you feel less reaction time is because the smarty will literally max out fueling by %30 throttle if you have it set aggressively, even sw4 will max out fueling by %50 throttle, again look at the data logs I posted.  that does not = more power it means that beyond %30 throttle input you get no increase in power.  

so you have a stock hy35 turbo?  the intake and exhaust mods really don't do much to help the map of the hy35, it is about out of steam by ~30 psi beyond that you are pumping hot air.    

• Like 2

I do have 150hp injectors, Stock Turbo.  It was building boost until 33 and pulling hard, now it is struggling to hit 26 psi boost. When I'm hard on the pedal it lights right up and wants to spin the tires than the Power Cuts OFF and I have to back out the pedal a little and power is like a switch and is back On until I want to hit the throttle hard again it will cut out again. its not backdown % either but it sure acts like it, Rev Limiter. sometimes the truck will cut In and Out of rpm exactly like a 7AL MSD Box does  when Rev chip is installed.   

Man you are really overfueling that turbo. you really need to be careful.

I would check for boost leaks

Then I would check your wastegate, ( I don't even want to guess what your PR is at WOT)

Then I would datalog using your edge.  What does the data log show when this happens?  A datalog is by far the most important tool when troubleshooting an issue like this.

I just tried Data Logging 3 runs and Fusion says same things as other edge unit did " data file missing or corrupt and now save"   I just fixed a small fuel like on the frame rail and I noticed that when I tried blowing on the return line to the tank I was blowing against fuel and it started draining back toward me.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the fuel on the return side should have no restrictions and drop  back into the tank from the top not into the basket?

I believe returned fuel goes towards bottom of basket, unless its from an aftermarket lift pump that comes with filer neck adapter. When I replumbed mine both returns from fass and vp/injectors are about 1/4'' of the bottom. otherwise fuel will foam. Another reason I put ball valves by fass, so when changing filters fuel won't keep sifling out of tank.  

Edited by Dieselfuture