• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Can't catch a break, just went from 285 to  265 in tire size and gained few MPG, shortly after it cooled off and I lost what I gained :ahhh:

Same here. Last warm day I got 20.5 MPG and now that most of the day is rather on the cold side. I'm now down to about 19 MPG. The cetane level has really increased the last few trips. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 2:10 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I just lost 2-3 mpg from being colder outside. Seeems my boost doubled at cruising speed. Can't catch a break, just went from 285 to  265 in tire size and gained few MPG, shortly after it cooled off and I lost what I gained :ahhh:

Besides changes in winter and summer blend fuels low IAT temps will play a big change in economy as well as parasitic loss from colder differentials and tighter clearances in general. Colder and more denser air is also harder to drive threw physically creating more drag. It all adds up.

as for the IAT thing I bump each timing setting up 1-2* depending on outside temp to offset for the low IAT in the winter and my economy hasn’t changed because of it.

if you listen very very closely to the engine knock you can hear as IAT changes the knock changes at varying throttle, load and RPM. I also have a ear for it more then some I feel but if your extremely in tune with the sound you can determine your timing curve on sound with different conditions. Quad timing I run on my stockish tow rig for winter

1500: 18.5-19

2000: 22

2500: 24.5

3000: 26

max: 27

Fuel load 0

cruise advance 2

low boost reduct 5

For quadzilla users if you take a little timing away from the cruise advance and instead put it into the timing map section you’ll find gains in economy, since the ground we drive on isn’t 100% level and we have changing conditions constantly it means we fall in and out of cruise time constantly. Some of us live in mountains, if 1500 is set at 15* the second you start climbing your timing falls back, well it’s too low then and you’ve lost cylinder pressure and to make up for it you inject more fuel to compensate. Focus more on the timing map itself rather then your cruise figure, you’ll find gains there more. For mopar man for example if he pulls about 1* from cruise advance and puts it in the 2000rpm figure he would use less fuel on the hill climbs where he lives since the truck isn’t in the cruise map overlay.

• Thanks 1