• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

Whats your engine load moving down the road?  I would guess it is above %15 and less than %30.  If you set your light throttle load limit to %15 then when you move down the road at load amounts higher than %15 light throttle timing is not applied.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Whats your engine load moving down the road?  I would guess it is above %15 and less than %30.  If you set your light throttle load limit to %15 then when you move down the road at load amounts higher than %15 light throttle timing is not applied.  

That makes sense now. At 71 it’s 22-25%. So set it at that?

42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You don't want to attempt to set the cruise timing too high. My article explains on how to get a good number that works well. 

@Mopar1973Man thank you!

On a side note my last two tanks I was getting approx 19MPG (hand math and mileage compensation for 35” tires) so hopefully with a bump in my cruise timing I’ll be able to smash that. My truck is leveled and I am running a camper shell so I’m pumped to see if a timing improvement will help my numbers ??

B17186F2-22BB-4CDF-BD33-D142B6512D42.jpeg

Edited by JDHudsn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Try for about 18.8* to about 19.2* at 2,000 RPM cruise timing. Then for performance timing it should drop to about 15* this boost builder. I'm not exactly attempting for good MPG been driving hard, fast at times, even pushing hard on snow and ice with 4WD operation so my numbers are kind of well, LOWER than my hard pressed 21 MPG I pulled using my current tune. The other factor is winterized diesel requires a slight retarding of the timing to keep going. Larger injectors require a small bump advanced to give to ignite the fuel. Crazy balancing act. I'm waiting for summer fuel to come back and really put the test to this tune. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Try for about 18.8* to about 19.2* at 2,000 RPM cruise timing. Then for performance timing it should drop to about 15* this boost builder. I'm not exactly attempting for good MPG been driving hard, fast at times, even pushing hard on snow and ice with 4WD operation so my numbers are kind of well, LOWER than my hard pressed 21 MPG I pulled using my current tune. The other factor is winterized diesel requires a slight retarding of the timing to keep going. Larger injectors require a small bump advanced to give to ignite the fuel. Crazy balancing act. I'm waiting for summer fuel to come back and really put the test to this tune. 

@Mopar1973Man ok sounds good I will have to do a little bit of adjustment. I was around 21.5* of timing at 72 mph and approx 1990RPM. 

You definately have a balancing act!! Here in San Diego we don’t have much winter. It was 89* yesterday?

• Owner
17 hours ago, JDHudsn said:

@Mopar1973Man ok sounds good I will have to do a little bit of adjustment. I was around 21.5* of timing at 72 mph and approx 1990RPM.

Now tell me if the cruise state engine load goes up or down from the change. I'm betting down. If so then the timing is too advanced.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now tell me if the cruise state engine load goes up or down from the change. I'm betting down. If so then the timing is too advanced.

@Mopar1973Man let me make sure I understand. You are thinking with the latest adjustment to lower my timing my cruise state load should go down? If it does then you can tell the timing was too advanced because the engine now operating more efficiently with less timing? 

• Owner

I've changed up my Daily tune some more I actually retard timing even more and still getting more gains yet. Little complicated to explain right now being I'm a bit tired but I'm running 18.2* to 18.5* at 2,000 RPM. Then also dropped the 1,500 RPM position another full 1 degree. The 2,000 RPM was only 0.5-degree drop. The 2500 RPM range is now plus 0.5 degree and the 3,000 is plus 1 degree more. I was finding that my low end RPM range was suffering the range was holding some high engine load numbers. So dropping the timing like I did now make the engine load lower for everything from 45 MPH up to 70 MPH which now I can hold clean 20-22% engine load at 65 MPH flat ground. I'm very pleased with the change so far but I'm going to monitor and see how the MPG numbers stack up. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Alright guys I just had a 500 mile rd trip on relatively flat ground. I was finding so very interesting results. I have my own custom daily tune to keep the smoke at bay but if I lay into it she fuels hard. I also have downloaded loaded the dyno tune and I decided to try it on the open rd. The first two pictures are from my daily and the second two are from the dyno. Look at the throttle position and engine load...

Im beginning to think the dyno tune at speed is actually a decent MPG tune:burnout:

267C4A5F-E3AF-4670-AA9C-027F283DCC3C.jpeg

D1BE57D4-98B9-4A9B-8484-DEB3BFEA4207.jpeg

D1D7C369-0B7E-49FF-89C6-079D7D8E7D18.jpeg

86056170-C125-41FE-9B6A-6BBD2E0FB1E7.jpeg

If you have wiretap on, it throws off the mpg number. Found that out in Nebraska. I had wiretap on while cruising at 80 mph, quad said I was in the low 20's, but hand calcs gave me 15 at the end of the trip.

That being said, if you have two tunes, and one fuels more at a given boost psi than the other, it will take less throttle input to move down the road. Hence why the dyno tune is returning a higher mpg number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, what trreed says. Once you start going into wiretap then the ECO and gallons used is more of a rough guideline than an actual number. Its pretty much impossible to calibrate it for the wire tap as it is different for every VP out there. 

Also, the legacy ADR2_DYNO tune will not show you timing or CAN bus fueling as a sensor, so if those are showing up, its probably not the legacy DYNO tune. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Now that I've returned to the wiretapped crowd now I can see the difference between CANBus only o Wiretap. Of course, the power is way better tapped but I want to find out if I can reach higher like I've done in the past. All those years of the Edge Comp of running in the 20's MPG bracket were great. Hopefully, now I can do the same being I've got fresh injectors and 1 year broke in VP44 injection pump. 

Sad I doubt I'll get much MPG for the next couple of tanks. I'm like a kid with his first NOx bottle on a drag car. The "Go Baby Go" button is always being pressed. :lmao::burnout:

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

I'm bringing this topic back to the top. I've been warned by a few forum members and local fuel stations that the price of diesel is heading towards $4.00 a gallon for sure. I've changed over to hypermiling again. I'm going to build that Economy Tune from hell. I'm going to reach for that 28 MPG and beat my old 27.2 MPG high mark. I'm going to start reporting my tank to tank hand math as I fill the truck. I'm at 340k miles currently. I'm also going to do some injector building on my old stock injectors. I'm going for a set of 7 x 0.009 injectors increase the pop pressure to 315 bar most likely. Then send my current injectors back and have them re-popped to 315 bar. So my days of hypermiling are going to return again. Since I'm required to continue to make these trip to Ontario, OR for MoparMom's dialysis treatments I've got to make the Cummins efficient as possible to make it pass that surge of fuel prices. I'm starting as of last tank of fuel. Let see what I get for MPG's when I return down to Payette for fuel on Saturday. 

Another task I need to do is my valve lash since its most likely needing a bit of TLC. If I get lucky I might see if I can find a used set of 245/75 R16 tires and change up the gear ratio to optimize the MPG factor reducing the load on the engine. Currently, on flat ground, at 55 MPH my engine load is about 17-19%.