• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

@notlimah you are correct now that I think about it. It is the fitting holding the bulkhead to the top of the sending unit that is loose. The suction tube is a Drawstraw V from Vulcan, so there is a hose clamp on the suction tube in the tank, which should be tight. The Fass is still getting air in it somehow...

Either way the sending unit has to come out to fix the bulkhead, which leaks diesel down the side of my tank......  So hopefully the air leak will present itself then. 

Edited by trreed

The return from the Fass is plumbed into the old stock supply line, so the return drops right into where that "H" with the check valve was in the stock setup, so directly above the basket. 

I doubt it's an issue with your FASS return since the DS5 kit supplies a long enough tube and is all the way at the bottom of the fuel basket. The problem I've run into is that the stock return line from the VP and injectors get's snipped in the process of installing the DS5 and so once fuel levels get a little low, or you park on a decent incline, the fuel will sit lower then the stock return line is, so it'll allow air into the system. This might be what you're experiencing but maybe not. Just figured I'd share my findings so it might make it easier for you to figure out yours. I can post pics later if that'd help.

Interesting. I didn't think about that. Though this issue happens at any fuel level. I'm starting to wonder if I poked a tiny hole in the supply line the last time I had the bed raised, since it's gotta be sucking air from somewhere, and the air separator filter is doing its job well

If air is in the supply side of the system and it's not related to fuel level then that sort of eliminates anything in the tank, at worst, very high up on the supply side so I'd think either the fitting itself, the hose clamp could be loose, or maybe a pinhole in a hose somewhere (which should spray fuel), but either way, finding out what's consistent with your issue should help pinpoint the issue more easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to working on my sending unit and cavitation issues.  The issue did not show itself, and the hoses looked perfectly fine, so FASS will be getting a call about the issue....  But, I did get my 1/2" return fitting installed, so there's now worry there.  Also, I set a personal best for fuel mileage.  I had an hour commute each way for the past two weeks, and managed to get 18.55 mpg, sitting in stop and go traffic while running the A/C.  I'm pretty happy with that!

Anyways, more on the cavitation when I get the time to call FASS.

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

• Staff

Both 2nd gens I own have the Vulcan draw straws with 1/2'' lines. Both trucks have cavitation issues that you can hear and see momentary drop in pressure. It's usually worse with less fuel in the tank and happens more often taking off from a stop or on a turn.

When I first installed the fuel system in the 01 truck I had wild gauge readings. I found I had stirred up lots of dirt in the tank and filter the on suction side became clogged in just a few short miles. This combined with air trapped in the prefilter base caused my wild pressure readings. Installed an air bleed off at the filter head and new filter and solved 95 % of the problem. But like I said both trucks are getting air in the system somehow, you can hear the cavitation when it happens even with half a fuel tank :think:.

1 hour ago, trreed said:

@JAG1 interesting to hear that two other trucks had the same issues I'm having....

@notlimah I will see what I can do, but I am currently located in Sterling, CO (read: flat) so the opportunity might not present itself

I was out there last year scouting for my uncles deer hunt. That would be very flat!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@JAG1 are you a flat earther :sofa:, at first when I came across this subject I thought what a joke, but now it seems very possible....

Ether way it's well worth your time looking into it. The rabbit hole goes very deep 

Nope, me love mountains and pancakes that have one side thicker lol

• Like 2

Well ether way anyone out there has time to waste, check out flat earth, by the end of your journey it won't fell like a waste, in fact it brought many people to true God and Jesus Christ. Plus everyone deserves to know both stories, and it will answer alot of questions. Put you tinfoil hat on, swallow the red pill and go down the rabbit hole. By the time you come out of it in a year or two you'll have a different look on life, hopefully in a better way. I need to warn you there are a lot of disinfo shills out there so you have to chose your info vizely, take what you need and leave the rest. Good luck, if you have half the brain you'll at least give it a shot. Not trying to insult anyone just trying to help. God bless.

Sorry for going of topic 

• Like 2