• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner
1 minute ago, Timburrr said:

None available locally.  I live in a smaller town in Canada which means everything has to get ordered in lol.  On top of that I'm on an island so everything is a ferry ride away too.

I know the feeling. I'm in middle of nowhere Idaho no one up here has the parts I'm looking for and usually days away waiting for UPS truck to show up. 

• Staff
19 hours ago, TFaoro said:

A genuine rebuild kit is $60 or so from DAP

For $60 I'd give it a try and see if I could save $800. 

7 hours ago, Timburrr said:

Other option is a reman turbo from ADP turbos which I haven't heard much about.  Parts store says they are good.  $800 and *SHOULD* be here before I go.  Simple swap in and out.  But could potentially be money spent that would be replaced in a couple years on an upgrade.

I know that you're on a time line with that trailer but for that kind of money I'd move the pick up time back.  I've rebuilt a few Mitsubishi turbos and taking it slow, keeping the rebuild area clean, and having the right snap ring plyers the jobs a piece of cake.  Halve of the job is taking the turbo off and on which you would be doing anyway with the replacement unit.  

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 2

Many years back when I was a owner/operator I had a turbo intake side oil seal go. Bottom of a hill as I was putting my foot back in it the turbo made a different noise so I let off and much to my surprise it continued to accelerate as hard as when I had my foot in it. Turning  the key off had no effect.  Thank god that it was old enough to have a compression release. We don't have a compression release or any other emergency shut down and if you don't have a manual transmission and kill it in gear it could get real exciting  real fast. The only way that I can think of on a automatic is to let it go until it runs out of crankcase oil and or throws a rod (remember during a run away there is no governor)or block the intake with a piece of wood. To me I like mine to much to ever chance that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Timburrr How do you like living in remote area like that, I'm jealous in the way. Always wanted to leave up north with lots of lakes and beautiful outdoors. One of the things I wait on, is our annual trip to Canada to go fishing. 

It's funny because its not super remote, just remote enough to not have anything available.  I'm about an hour away from Victoria.  It seems like even in some bigger cities in Canada selection and inventory are slim because there just isn't the same population for businesses to make scale.  I have worked in remote areas all over BC when I was a forest fire fighter and then as a production faller and I really like small towns.  I think If I could have chosen my future I would have been a farmer in a rural town but you basically have to be born into a farm it seems.  Don't know how anybody could pay one off buying one and working it!

2 hours ago, Nekkedbob said:

Many years back when I was a owner/operator I had a turbo intake side oil seal go. Bottom of a hill as I was putting my foot back in it the turbo made a different noise so I let off and much to my surprise it continued to accelerate as hard as when I had my foot in it. Turning  the key off had no effect.  Thank god that it was old enough to have a compression release. We don't have a compression release or any other emergency shut down and if you don't have a manual transmission and kill it in gear it could get real exciting  real fast. The only way that I can think of on a automatic is to let it go until it runs out of crankcase oil and or throws a rod (remember during a run away there is no governor)or block the intake with a piece of wood. To me I like mine to much to ever chance that.

Yeah I don't like the idea of a runaway.  I have a manual transmission so I can always put in the clutch and let it pop.  probably have a hard time stalling it out unless I was going up a hill slow... but knock on wood anyway.

I'm leaning towards just getting the modified HX35.  I looked at the Super B too but its a lot more money and I don't really want to be pushing tons of boost.  My long term plans are like 50hp injectors and enough turbo to keep it happy and cool.  Maybe a real gentle tune but not sure.  Basically just enough to make towing a little nicer.  So if I get that turbo now I save myself some time, don't have to put on a new downpipe or anything like that and don't have to worry about ramming tons of boost into an otherwise stock engine.  I'm not really sure what exactly the mod is but I assume its similar to an hx35/40 hybrid or maybe just one of the more aggressive wheels on the compressor....I'm going to get the details as to how fast it spools up and what it puts out for boost before I pull the trigger.

Edited by Timburrr
grammar
  • Like 1

Yeah that's kind of what I like living in the remote area just far enough, but yet with a short drive you're able to get to town, I just for some reason like it up north. 

I live in Iowa and there isn't a whole lot to do, sure we got few things. But quite a few people know a saying "welcome to Iowa, hope you brought something to do" I suppose you could say that about other places. And I guess that's why they say grass is greener on the other side. 

Personally if you are planning on driving your truck with that turbo that is leaking, I would order a rebuilt kit with all the gaskets you may need and get a set of injectors you want. It would still be cheaper even if you have to buy few tools to do it. And later on when you have time get it done. Plus you can always say I rebuild my own turbo and It was easy. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1