• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

machiingMine is remote mounted to the driver side fender. This gives time for the pulses to fade over distance. Then if you have to test the gauge you can add a test and add your test gauge. Easy access and way less problems.

:)  Go ahead, rub it in:)...  I would like to have one.  I ask Vulcan just the other day.   He said he won't be making the bracket any time soon and changed the subject.  I guess there is more machining to the bracket than what meets the eye.  You have a great set up.  Would you post another pic of it?  Can't find your old one. The bracket would make a great project someday. 

pump is in the truck is a dog, won't make any boost, seems like could potentially not be getting enough fuel..  thoughts?  Also oil pressure gauge has become sporadic..  Idles really nice and smooth, fires right up but won't make any boost when I drive it.  Even free revving it in neutral its slow to rev.  The key appears to be in good, I can see it in the slot and the pump went in very smooth, could have hand tightened the 15mm nuts on the back of it just about..  I left the batteries disconnected tonight, I did forget to plug the apps back in when we were bleeding and trying to get to restart, maybe a calibration issue?  Share anything you might check please..  The truck idles and runs very smooth, just no power.

Edited by portlandareae28

• Staff

What is your fuel pressure at idle? Also what does the fuel pressure gauge do when you run up the rpms? Does the pressure drop significant? What lift pump do you have? Are screens in the tank clean/ cleared of debri?

My 01 had some junk blocking the fuel at the screen inside the tank right where the draw was. I removed the screens and put on a 30 micron primary filter before the lift pump. New Lift pump (Raptor 150) had a small screen inside the intake side and also removed that. Just want all clogs to go in a filter not elsewhere.

I will finish the fuel pressure gauge this morning, didn't even want to start it til it was done but I ran out of time (replaced all the intake plenum gaskets, so got further in than just doing the vp job) and had to move it out of the garage (won't fit all the way in)..  I have the Fass  DDRP (was on the truck when I bought it) I suppose it could have died, but even with the codes last week the truck ran great, so seems odd that it would suddenly just not make any power, but definitely possible.  Is there any limp mode on these trucks?  My oil pressure gauge started getting finicky last night too, would work/not work, loose connection or soaked in diesel connection maybe..  I am going to get the gauge in and rehook up the batteries after being unplugged with the key on all night. Will check the VP plug connection and calibrate the apps just to be sure. 

• Like 1

I will go through it with a fine toothed comb, I did pull the fuel bowl to clean it all up and change the banjo bolt so that I could add the sensor line for the gauge.  I don't think the key trick reads both the PCM and ECU in this truck I had a p0122 and p1693 first, than plugged the apps back in and now just a p1693.  Going to get a code reader and see if there is anything else in there.  will report back any findings.

so it had stored codes of p0122, p0123 (remember I forgot to hook up the apps when initially starting up) p0237 and p0238, also had p0216 and p1689.  I erased them all and turned the key back on and still have a p0237 without even running the truck (fuel gauge not quite done don't want to run it quite yet.

• Like 1

Agreed.  I had a '99 blow an intercooler boot.  Had about 30k lb's strapped to it's butt and it was SOOOO LAME.  Had to crawl in 1st 4L just to find a safe place to pull over.  So yeah, it forced it into limp mode.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

I am guessing I don't have multiple bad sensors, hopefully can check some grounds, etc. tomorrow....  I have codes pointing at 2 sensors side by side, and I have an intermittent oil pressure gauge which is right below those two gauges with codes....  Seems very suspect huh?  Also no power to the Edge now.   Its not tapped on the pump, but shouldn't I see lights on it?

Edited by portlandareae28

If you have codes then use the link I posted and go through all the troubleshooting steps for each one. That's the beauty of codes, is you know exactly how to fix them. If that still doesn't solve your issues then we'll start thinking outside the box and help out but until you fix your codes we're at a bit of a standstill.

So far I don't think my obd scan tool reads voltage on all of the DTC's...  Electrical is not my friend.  Ready to drive this thing down a boat launch backward.  Come on, vp44 swap to what?  I need to find a way to simplify checking these codes as at this point reading the threads is Chinese to me.

You're not going to be reading voltages using the obd reader. You need a digital volt meter to do that. The article section covering obd errors is pretty straight forward, step by step process. If you have questions, let us know!

OKAY OKAY OKAY I am an IDIOT!!!!!

Since I wasn't going to tap the pump, when I tore it down I coiled up that harness and tucked it up toward the firewall/drivers side fender.  GUESS what, the ground for the Edge is in that same harness.........  COO KOO COO KOO, ALL is working great now..  Fuel pressure is 15-16 at idle, hard wot pull up a hill (empty truck) it gets down around 10psi, I will be keeping a close eye on this and start learning about real fuel systems..  THANK YOU guys for the quick responses and all the help so far!!

• Like 1

• Staff

Good deal. That is a bit more than normal pull down on fuel pressure when truck is not loaded. You should see 19 at idle and 15 with a load wot uphill. A lot depends on the size of load though.   4 p.s.i. Drop is about the max you want to see.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Good deal. That is a bit of a more than normal pull down on fuel pressure when truck is not loaded. You should see 19 at idle and 15 with a load wot uphill. A lot depends on the size of load though too. A 4 p.s.i. Drop is about the max you want to see.

With a good fuel system, I idle a17 PSI and drop to 15-16 PSI WOT at nearly 100 MPH. This depends on fuel temperature. Warmer the fuel the better it holds pressure.

• Like 1