• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque Converter to Flexplate Loose Bolts

Good morning everyone,

I have a question regarding my 99 with a 47re. I decided to do some investigating because the truck developed a noise. I found that my torque converter to flexplate bolts were loose. I was able to get a half turn when retightening. So I have a few questions, any help or info you could share would  be great. First, are these bolts TTY? Second, if they are not TTY, should I remove them, use locktite, and reinstall? And last, would you happen to know the torque spec on those bolts?

Thank you guys for reading and for your time. This site has been a life saver many times.

Brandon

Red loctite and 35 ft-lbs. I think I ended up somewhere around 45 though.

Not sure if they're torque to yield, Rockauto has them really cheap, just need to search the part #. Also, check the flexplate holes for ovaling. Transmission rebuilt recently?

Awesome ok thanks guys. I don't think it's ever been rebuilt. I think the shop who sold it would've told me if it was only to try to get more for the truck. In the near future I will definitely be replacing/rebuilding the trans but this will definitely buy me some time. Even if it only lasts a few minutes I just want to see if the noise stops. Thank you guys! 

Actually, while we're on the subject, what would your recommendation be as far as the trans? I see convertion kits online to switch from auto to a 5 or 6 speed. I guess I have 3 options. Switch to manual, rebuild my existing trans with heavy duty parts, or buying a new auto trans from a company like ats. What would you do?

Edited by Bduhigg86