• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quadzilla Tuning R & D Thread

Me78569

I just read that thread... Its like I wrote a page out of it in the info I posted a little bit ago... Lol... I think when I get some money I'm going to get some 7x.013-.014 set to 320-330 bar from Weston or Ryan haley and get rid of the crap I have now.. I'm over these 6 home

Hole junk injectors.. I would like to send them to a 3rd party and see what they really are....

Weston won't build them at 330 bar, Ask @Carbur8tr about it.  

I should make it %100 clear we dont really know for sure if it is worth while to increase pop pressure.  It may be that running 7 x .011's at stock pressure results in the exact same power vs smoke as 7 x .012's at 330 bar.   

It could be even that 7 x.011's at stock pressure make more power than 7 x .012's at 330 bar.   

The big issue I have with hole thing is the attitude of your must be dense if you try something new.

Edited by Me78569

I understand this and agree completely. Honestly all I have seen for facts opposing this view is "experience" either way I hate my 6x.013 injectors and I'm guessing that they are not what they claim to be.. 6 holes are way overrated never ever buy them lol.. At this point id run ddp or ii injectors ?

So your experience with Weston sounds about like mine.  All of the information you provided is pretty much what I got back in addition to more or less what was a refusal to build what I was asking for.  Not to mention most of what was provided was either common sense, previously expressed "opinions", or more smoke.  Never did I really see were anyone, including Weston, brought anything to the table that wasn't either an old state of thought or just being negative towards the conversation. 

The attitude here amazes me and the fact that he refused the opportunity to make a sale and put money in his pocket also took me back a bit.  I think that the VP crowd has grown a little old and stale through the years in terms of performance and general thought.  Nothing ground breaking has really been brought to light in a while so things have just solidified a bit which is part of what we are dealing with now. 

The common thought of big injectors = lots of smoke and requires a big turbo is simply just not the case anymore.  Nick has given us the ability to command almost whatever we want with regards to fuel.  Now we still have to work with the mechanical limitations, but that's just what we are trying to do right now, work with what we have and tweak it so that we might be able to get a better performing truck all around.  It's important here to note that performance does not have to be balls to the wall all out stretch for every last pony.  Being responsible while having a truck that performs should not be too much to ask for and these days.

And for the last time, YES we know that we are potentially giving up a little power and you know what, I could care less. It's not like we have much to measure anyways, a vp is only good for maybe 650-700 max.  I think the days of everyone reaching for the limits of the vp are over.  If an educated person wanted big numbers they would find another injection method or buy a common rail. 

@Dodgeih  @Carbur8tr and others looking to run injectors set with higher pop off pressures.  Willing to do a BIG discount for 8 more people.  I am interested in seeing more data and am willing to heavily discount some DAP injectors.  There can be a benefit to knowing flows in LPM with calibration fluid at 100BAR for the nozzle for a better comparison and reduce variables from "brand to brand".  We also have digital gauges for measuring the pop off pressures.  I would like to see 10 sets installed at the higher pop off pressures with known flows at the nozzle.  @Me78569 and @kzimmer both are running DAP nozzles or injectors.  Please send a PM or email if you are interested.

• Like 1

@Carbur8tr my conversation was actually with Seth Haley but it was almost as if he copied and pasted from @Me78569 compd post... Like we both stated I think people are unwilling to try new things on a dying truck and are just repeating the old rhetoric without giving the new technology of the quad any thought. The fact that a quad and 7x.012-.014 can use more fuel than the vp can handle should negate the lost duration anyway, I think you could pull most if not all of it back with a larger pump stretch... No one can open their minds with old things... 

@dieselautopower I'll pm you. Talked to you a few months back on some injectors, but have just still been trying to figure mine out.. I'm over the 6 hole thing, they are junk and not made for the street period! 

Edited by Dodgeih

@dieselautopower I'm always willing to try something new.  Right now I have a set of Chris' SAC 7x.012s at 350 bar on the way.  What all were you wanting to collect data on?

@Dodgeih Ah I would expect that from Seth as well.  Good to know though, never touched base with him on the idea myself.

Edited by Carbur8tr

Nick and Kole are both running  7x.012 VCO and 7x.013 VCO respectively.  This is more of a discovery phase and big or small injectors can still give us data as they are currently unrepresented.  I am willing to work with either large or small.  Nick and Kole, do you have a preference for pop off pressure... seems 350Bar is where people want to start with the current data set given.

1 hour ago, dieselautopower said:

Nick and Kole are both running  7x.012 VCO and 7x.013 VCO respectively.  This is more of a discovery phase and big or small injectors can still give us data as they are currently unrepresented.  I am willing to work with either large or small.  Nick and Kole, do you have a preference for pop off pressure... seems 350Bar is where people want to start with the current data set given.

Based on my limited testing, i'd say anything under 350 BAR is fair game, ready to go, no problems and no extra work or special programming needed. 365 drives amazing, but the minor quirks still bug me a little. It's no big deal, its just not perfect. However... this thing is extremely fun to drive, and I'm convinced the higher pop help me get some extra fuel during spoolup without the added smoke. I just can't keep my damn foot out of it.

Edited by kzimmer

For those contacting me you can decide the size (up to 7x.015  VCO, 6x.013 sac or 7x.014 sac).... If there is anyone that wants to try 400BAR or higher?  Will include one free pop off pressure change.  Price to be discussed via PM, but its cheap...  ( want to support the efforts and see the outer limits of VP tuning)

for thought Back in 2013 I had some 400+ BAR  (I think it was 420BAR) 12v injectors that were really large we set up for a 12v guy who was running close to 30* of timing for his sled puller.  It was at the recommendation of a cam builder in WA (Boeing engineer... can't recall his name)  Followed up with customer and he said it ran great.   I know that is a different animal and a specific application, but 12v and 24v are both mechanically controlled injectors.

• Thanks 1

lol 400 bar.  I kinda wanna hahahahaha.   I think however that ~350 bar is the point of limited returns.  We don't really need to clean up much more offidle in order to be %100 clean.   My truck will pass emissions right now with an aggressive tune.   

However if we are going to throw crazy pop number out there I think we need to figure out how to figure out how much shorter the injection even is.  

Might be worth having a set built that are the same except for pop pressure and do some back to back testing with datalogging and videos.  Hard to argue with results right?  Same tune, same timing, just different pop

Edited by Me78569

Little help guys... What size should I get.. I have a modified hx35 62/64/12 over s475/96/1.32. I also have a spare 14cm housing for hx35. I'm currently thinking 7x.013 but idk sac or vco. What size/tip you guys think I should try? 

Remember this is a daily driver and I want it to be friendly and the least smoke possible.. Just looking for opinions

@dieselautopower

I need to mention that I found another somewhat rare situation that proves to be a little bit of a pain in the ***. Last week I went to pick up some furniture. I had to parallel park on a side street, between two vehicles, in a snow bank. It requires some pretty awkward throttle stabs, and I found out that the situation is quite a bit worse in reverse. Not exactly sure why. Maybe because the reverse gear ratio is very slightly smaller than 1st. Put it in reverse, no big deal, quick blip of the throttle, or heavy press with a quick let-off and brake after rolling over a chunk of snow/ice, and I'm stalling. It's something that I can work around, and the wife has never had an issue, so it's still pretty rare. Doesn't bother me much, just a little embarassing of there's people around, haha.

@Me78569 Let's say I want to keep these at 365 bar. (Because I do... 50% because I like the way it drives, and 50% because I don't want to spend ~4-5 hours on a saturday replacing and re-popping injectors when there's oh so many oil leaks I could be fixing). Are you interested in playing with:

1. An anti-stall feature, likely tailored to people with automatics and high injector pop pressures. Yeah... Probably not a big market for that... Would likely only need to be active at 0% tps.

2. Extra fuel while cranking. I totally understand that there are huge implications here, and the Quad will likely not be happy about controlling fuel while cranking when the battery voltage is being sucked down to nil. Still though... I am prepared to give the quad it's own 12V battery and diode isolate. In the name of VP44 science.

14 minutes ago, Dodgeih said:

Little help guys... What size should I get.. I have a modified hx35 62/64/12 over s475/96/1.32. I also have a spare 14cm housing for hx35. I'm currently thinking 7x.013 but idk sac or vco. What size/tip you guys think I should try? 

Remember this is a daily driver and I want it to be friendly and the least smoke possible.. Just looking for opinions

I don't want to open up the SAC vs VCO debate, but I have not read a compelling enough argument to pick SAC over VCO. All I can tell you is that with the 7x.013's popping at 365 BAR, my theoretical maximum fuel flow is probably reduced a little bit, and I don't need wiretap to break 50psi with my setup. I haven't turned off the boost limiter yet, but wiretap is pretty much dead to me, lol. The tune I'm running now is a little hazy from 4-15 psi (totally made up those numbers), but it can be as clean as you want it to be.

When I bought my original cheap 7x.014's, it was because I didn't know much and I was paranoid about not having enough fuel. They smoked out the dyno shop at 63 psi and would hit 73 on the highway (more air). That was before v2 of course. Too much injector now = not enough tuning. Kinda.

Edited by kzimmer

@Dodgeih  7 x .012's should flow plenty and still be very friendly on the street.  If I can't cause issues with my setup, you shouldn't be able to.  

@kzimmer, If by interested you mean dont want to do it at all then yes lol.   I don't know that the quadzilla can manage an anti stall feature.  I dont know that the ecm updates us fast enough to catch rpms falling.  Also can't do extra fuel while cranking, the quad needs input from the ecm to do things, the ecm to quad commmunicatin is not active at that point.

19 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I honestly dont know where the rumor of increased pop pressure = stalling issues,  I dont htink it is pop pressure, I think it is fueling being pulled to rapidly.  

My testing just doesn't support pop pressure being the reason for stalling.  My truck should be the worse in terms of this issue.

Uh because it happens and is not related to fuel being pulled rapidly, not directly. Low stall converter and high pop will stall a truck. 

45 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Uh because it happens and is not related to fuel being pulled rapidly, not directly. Low stall converter and high pop will stall a truck. 

I have the lowest stall converter Revmax sells. even with temps near 0* my truck will not stall when I put it in gear.  I would love to know why, but Kole isn't having issues either.  The only way I can make the truck stall my blipping hte throttle over and over if I do that ~30 times it might stall once.  

I believe it happens, but I dont see it in my testing, confused.

Edited by Me78569

31 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Can you expand a little on the fuel comment?

Also a tight converter would certainly not help, injector aside, but the high pop pressure we are testing.  Both @Me78569 and @kzimmer have been successful with their high popped injectors.  I hope to add to that sometime this weekend if I get the time to install them.   Up until this point most of the information on injectors has been hearsay. I don't discredit those who build injectors, nor do I think that they are necessarily wrong, but a thought we do have to consider is that they have an agenda and they have to make money.  What the general population wants and needs does not always fall in line with those paving the way for a different thought. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Carbur8tr said:

What the general population wants and needs does not always fall in line with those paving the way for a different thought. 

I remember long ago with a 2 Cycle Oil Theory... Battled for a long time.

Now it @Me78569 pioneering the high pop pressure injectors and Quadzilla tunning...