• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

i haven't seen anything latly about using b-20 fuel.  over long term is there anything bad that will happen to my truck?  i live just outside of chicago so i could use it almost year.  there is a mobile gas station on my way home from work so its easily availble.   besides the better mpg it is ussually a little cheaper then #2 diesel.  so i guess the real ? is.  use it yes or no?

• Owner

I would avoid the Biodiesel in the winter time. The problem is there is no anti-gel product for biodiesel so when the temperatures get cold enough the bio part will separate from the diesel and sink to the bottom and turn solid. 

I've been using B5 over in Oregon now for the week which is about 10 cents higher than Idaho petroleum diesel but when you figure paying for 2 cycle oil it just about washes out. Now as for MPG of B5 biodiesel there is no measurable gain I've seen yet using biodiesel. Being I'm traveling a minimum of 250 miles trip to Ontario, OR. Which comes out to 750 miles a week, 3,000 miles a month. So I've got plenty of road time testing biodiesel I've even switched back to Idaho petroleum diesel a few tanks and no real change in MPG's.

• Like 1

I have been running a good bit off it over that past 3 years or so. Any where from B5 to B20. I have had no bad results from it and the mileage has been good. The engine runs quieter on it also. The best mileage i have ever achieved in my truck came off of bio mass diesel at the 20% mix. Both times 22.4 mpg running 75 down the interstate. I just they were required to label better. What I have bought recently from Love's is labeled "B5 to B20 bio or bio mass diesel". Not sure how they can label it way but they are. 

I also run it in the winter but living in the SE I dont see much sub freezing weather.I have seen lows in the 20's from time to time. I will be in Maryland for the winter so I might rethink a little. That being said i am quite happy with the way it runs in my truck and have had no ill effects from it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've been using B5 over in Oregon now for the week which is about 10 cents higher than Idaho petroleum diesel but when you figure paying for 2 cycle oil it just about washes out. 

So you are saying B-5 or greater takes the place of adding 2 cycle oil for injection pump lubrication? 

The fuel hose I get from Vulcan is blue.  I researched before buying and even though blue on out side, some of the best stuff available IMO.  Not saying all are like that.  Just saying Vulcan's is blue and great stuff according to OEM spec's. 

Edited by 015point9

Well I probably screwed up again...I'm getting very good at that.

From Vulcan web site…Hoses shown are blue (at least the pic's) but in description says black. 

(Vulcans Description) Parker Super Flex fuel line 1/2" Hose

Parker SuperFlex bio fuel compatible fuel line, up to and including B100.
SuperFlex features a Nylon barrier liner, meets or exceeds SAE 30R7 specifications and is California Air Resourced Board (CARB) compliant.
1/2 in. line sold by the foot

3970X - Super-Flex FL Fuel Line Hose - CARB 2006 Approved

Series 3970X

Parker's new fuel line hose includes a new thermoplastic barrier that helps protect our atmosphere from harmful hydrocarbons that escape through the carcass of ordinary fuel hose. This new hose surpasses all of CARB's stringent permeation requirements and along with the SAE30R7 specifications. The Super-Flex FL hose also features an abrasion and weather resistant cover to help protect from external application abuse. NOTE: Approved for biodisel fuels that meet ASTM D 6751 requirements per UL guidelines for biodiesel compatability.
100 PSI working pressure, 4:1 Design factor

Tube:

NBR with a thermoplastic barrier

Cover:

Black Hypalon

Reinforcement:

Braided Polyester

Temperature Range:

-30°F to +257°F (-34°C to +125°C)

Branding:

PARKER 39708 SUPER-FLEX FL 1/2" ID LOW PERMEATION FUEL LINE – CARB 2006 APPROVED EXECUTIVE ORDER C-U-05-010

And on Parker web site.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/fuel-line-barrier-hose-super-flex-fl-series-397

Parker's Series 397 Super-Flex FL Barrier Fuel Line Hose provides excellent service across a wide variety of fuels and multiple engine applications. The thermoplastic liner serves as a barrier to limit permeation of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), providing compliance with government and industry regulations. The hose is qualified with permanent crimp couplings for a safe and secure connection. The cover resists oil and high temperatures common to engine compartments, providing maximum performance in challenging applications.

Features/Benefits:
• Tube: Black nitrile with translucent thermoplastic barrier for fuel and permeation resistance to 257°F.
• Reinforcement: One textile braid or multiple textile plies for strength and kink resistance.
• Cover: Black CPE for abrasion, heat and oil resistance.
• Couplings: Qualified with crimp couplings for a durable, safe and secure connection.

Applications:
- media
• Biodiesel (to B100 in dedicated and non-dedicated service)
• Diesel
• Ethanol
• Gasoline
• Oil

Few issues I heard about are, long term storage growing algy in tank if not used on daily basis and moisture it has in it same thing if truck sits month at a time it will attack fuel system, corrosion, speaking of bio stuff. If used daily should be fine, and yes anything over 5% bio no need to add 2 cycle oil.