• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge Dana 60 high steer

Ok first off I get that NONE of you have a need for high steer arms with your fancy track bar and all. But I used a Dodge Dana 60 front in my Cummins swap project and unfortunately with the lift I ended up with, my drag link is ridiculously steep and the bump steer is totally undriveable. My question for you Dodge guys is do you think there is enough meat in the steering knuckle to drill and tap 4 holes for mounting a high steer arm? I know they make high steer arms for the ball joint 60's used in the Ford Super Duty but for obvious reasons no one makes one for the Dodge axles. I attached a picture in case anyone would like to have a look while they ponder. The white dots are where I think would be the most appropriate locations for holes.

20170913_180603.jpg

.imageproxy.php?img=&key=4d11e5b7ded08803

Edited by Scottfunk

Man I don't know if I'd do it, but then again you don't know till you try. Ideally be better to get a high steer high pinion out of older ford with same ratio and manual hubs. And run away from dodge d60 all together. Put some leafs rings up front too while you're at it.  JMO and not sure if it's a good one but I considered doing this myself. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

Like I said, they don't exist. The use of a track bar eliminates the need for high steer. I don't have a track bar therefore I have to eliminate bump steer some other way, such as drop Pitman and high steer to get a nearly flat drag link. I've got well over 3 grand in coilover shocks and heim joints so I'm not scrapping the entire front suspension. I'm asking for the opinion of some guys that might know the strengths and weaknesses of the Dodge Dana 60 for an opinion on a very specific operation that would help my situation. Thank you.

Ok I found a guy in Virginia who's willing to do this on the cheap for me because he's had people ask in the past and never took the time. I'd like to come up with an extra knuckle to send him so I can continue building the hydro assist steering while he works on that. Anyone know of or have one I can get inexpensively? 

Sorry dumb question but off-road manufacture's often have conversion knuckles available for Dana 60's as it's a very popular axle and they can be found for under 600 for a pair.

Is there a reason these won't work for you? 

A Dodge Dana 60 is a stout and reliable axle, some argue that it had the highest shaft strength of D60 axles until the 05 Ford d60.  Switching to cable actuation is definitely the way to go.  Only downfall I can think of is the early Dodge Dana 60 had 30 spline shafts.

13 hours ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

Sorry dumb question but off-road manufacture's often have conversion knuckles available for Dana 60's as it's a very popular axle and they can be found for under 600 for a pair.

Is there a reason these won't work for you? 

A Dodge Dana 60 is a stout and reliable axle, some argue that it had the highest shaft strength of D60 axles until the 05 Ford d60.  Switching to cable actuation is definitely the way to go.  Only downfall I can think of is the early Dodge Dana 60 had 30 spline shafts.

The 00-02 ball joint angles is typically why. I have yet to see anyone offer anything for this axle.

• Like 1

I have an arrangement with a company in Virginia, fourwheelsupply.net to produce what I believe is the first mass produced Dodge Dana 60 ball joint high steer arm (say that 3 times fast). I will be offering them on my Facebook page, Idaho Diesel Conversions, at cost to help him recoup the r&d costs, and I'm sure he will also have them for sale in his online store.

Gotcha I understand now the one I know of converts you from ball joint to Kingpin but still gives you high steer arm which currently is unavailable :doh:

Have you thought of removing your axle cutting the spring perches off of it and swapping in 1990 axle after you convert it from leaf springs to coil springs the sale of your current axle might make that swap next to nothing out of pocket besides actual building of the axle be ie. changing gears, lockers or any other added features you might want.  Food for thought a friend has a 2001 Jeep that has that exact conversion in it plus a 3.9 Cummins

https://racine.craigslist.org/pts/d/1990-dana-60/6315863675.html

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

I don't think I could sell my current axle as all the brackets have been stripped off and I have welded on all custom bracketry. The guy who is going to build my high steer setup is only charging me $200 for the machine work and the steering arm because he plans to sell mow of them in the future and just needed someone to send him an axle so he could mock up the first one. That's a hell of a deal for a onsoft.

20170527_202348.jpg

20170527_202335.jpg