• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Temps

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

If you have quadzilla it already has that option 

Just thought maybe you're asking fuel temp before vp, then I guess :think:

OP here...I'm installing fuel pressure gauge along with test port & needle valve and low pressure buzzer alarm (to sound off at 12 psi) closer to vp44.    Currently using the built in port on airdog for fuel pressure sensor.  Where I live winters are not below low teens.  But have heard filters can freeze up in cold country.    Was wondering if fuel temp might be handy to know.  

I see, probably wouldn't be a bad idea. What I do sometimes is put some fuel that I have in a tank in glass jar and leave it sitting outside, gives you an idea of what fuel is doing. Maybe you can determine at what temperature it starts to jell up and keep an eye on the guage.

• Owner

Ok... I've got an ISSPro EV2 series fuel pressure gauge and got my fuel pressure gauge warning light programmed for 13 PSI. So there is my warning. As for the Quadzilla the last two trips to Ontario my morning temperature has been right around 2*F to 6*F above. Quadzilla reported between 60 and 70*F fuel temps the whole time. The only reason is I kept my stock fuel filter and the fuel heater. Even last year I had temperature as low as MINUS 35*F and never had any issues with gelling.

• Like 2

@Mopar1973Man did you up size line to 1/2 from factory filter housing to vp 

I know fass 150 titanium has ports to hook up antifreeze to, but I can't see running lines all the way back, maybe if it was mounted closers to engine :think: and put some ball valves closers to where you'd t off from engine cooling line probably of heater core, and shut them off when not needed or if a line leaks. 

• Owner
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Mopar1973Man did you up size line to 1/2 from factory filter housing to vp

Yes. I got the kit from Eric and Vulcan Performance for that. 

Remember I'm running my AirDog 150 behind the transfer case. This why I do not like the FASS it too big and no where to mount the pump without the filter hanging in the blowing cold wind. 

Image result for mopar1973man airdog 150

Image result for mopar1973man airdog 150

• Owner

If you returning warm fuel from the engine and have filters hanging in the wind it going to take the heat out of the fuel. The whole conversation if about Wind Chill or Actual Temperature. The rule still holds to actual temperature. Like in my case I've got 60-70*F fuel and now pulling from the fuel tank with filter hanging in 2-6*F weather I'm sure my fuel temp will be much much lower compared to having the pump and filter up out of the cold wind. Not to mention my fuel line are INSIDE the frame tube reducing even more wind contact with the supplied fuel.

Same reason I've got winter front on the front of the grill. Less area the cold wind can blow on the radiator the more heat the engine get to keep. Even my IAT temperatures are warmer because of the winter fronts and reduced the amount of wind passing through the intercooler. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

The wind will lower the temperature of the fuel faster, but it cannot make the fuel colder than ambient air temp. 

Fuel heaters are great! I have 2 of them and can see them work and warm fuel as I drive in cold temps. 

Fuel heaters need to be on the 1st filter as the 1st filter is always the first to plug with gelled fuel. It doesn't matter if the 3rd filter is heated if the fuel isn't getting to it... I found this out the hard way a few years back and it's why I have 2 fuel heaters now. As fuel starts to gel the parafins are much larger than any filtration media on these trucks. 

FASS has a coolant and an electric option. For most of us the electric is plenty and easier to install. The coolant would be nice for those who regularly see below -10°F. 

All of this is in the event your fuel isn't properly winterized for the ambient temp. Properly winterized fuel (chemical or blend) doesn't need heat to keep the filters unplugged. 

Cold soaked is the most likely time to gel. Driving into cold weather makes it less prone to gelling as the fuel is already warmer from operation. Return fuel has some descent heat from the head and engine bay, even running along a cold frame with wind. 

• Like 1

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Absolutely Correct! So many people get hung up on wind chill.

It always amazes me. 

I've seen guys argue that wind chill will freeze water, or have an effect on their truck starting. 

40°F with a 20 mph wind has a windchill value of 30°F.. water will never freeze at 40°F!

• Like 1