• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 Cummins - new to me pickup - that has issues

• Staff

I just got this 99 Dodge Cummins QCSB 4x4 Laramie SLT with an auto transmission on November 24th, and I drove 640 miles round trip that day to trade my 99 GMC Sierra SLT 3 door lifted short box 4x4 for it. The 320 mile drive home was harsh with shitty 305/70R16 tires, worn out steering stabilizer shock, and cruise control not working.

I did find out that the pickup has a Redhead steering box, BD Diesel Performance adjustable track bar setup, aftermarket boxed trailering arms, and a Skyjacker lift in it.

It had no CEL or any other lights warning lights light up on the test drive at the car dealer's or on the drive home. The only light that stays on, is the seat belt light blinks when starting the pickup, and then after a bit when the seat belt is buckled, the light stays lit up solid.

The next day it had the ABS and brake lights both come on at the same time, but the brakes were still functioning great without any issues. Shut the pickup down and the lights would be off until some random time later that they would come back on again. I replaced the rear ABS/VSS sensor as that is usually the cheap and easy part to replace, but that didn't fix it. The pickup had 3 worn out Falken Wild Peak A/T tires, and then 1 BFG M & S tire with more tread than the other Falken tires on the rear. I figured that since the BFG had more tread and was taller than the Falken tire on the other end of the rearend, that maybe that tire was essentially rotating a tad bit slower since it was taller than the worn out Falken tire, which would make that axle spin slower  compared to the opposite axle shaft. I replaced the tires with a brand new set of 285/75R16 Continental Terra Troopers, and now the ABS/brake lights only come on once in a while now.

I started getting the dead pedal on it and just replaced the APPS with a brand new Timbo APPS and it hasn't had a dead pedal since. Last week I put in two new matching batteries in the pickup and cleaned all the terminals very well.

The pickup has a delay boot up for the ECM with the WTS light and triggering the lift pump to start the engine. Sometimes the delay is 10-15 seconds and sometimes it's less than 10 seconds waiting for the WTS to come on.

I haven't had much time yet to check the clock spring to see if it's bad yet to fix the cruise control not working, but I plan on checking that here fairly soon.

The engine seems to have a very slight noticeable intermittent flutter at idle at times, but it is not synchronous as in it does not happen every 10 seconds. I don't notice it when driving at any speed down the road though.

The 47RE is completely painted gold with a blue pan, so I'm assuming that someone has been into the transmission at some point in time, but it doesn't have one issue when heavy acceleration or WOT use - the trans will shift from 1st to 2nd and then when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it immediately revs up 300 to 500 more rpm and then it shifts into 3rd, and then it will shift to OD. It does not slip at all when it does the weird shift from 2nd to 3rd and then like it shifts back to 2nd momentarily and then shifts to 3rd again. The trans fluid is up and looks fairly clean and does not look or smell burnt. The trans has a slight torque converter shudder in OD under slight acceleration, but doesn't do it under hard acceleration, so is this a mainline fluid pressure issue causing this, and which part in the trans needs to be replaced to fix this?

My good friend that is the IT guy and also works in the R & D Department at Diamond Eye Manufacturing hooked his Pegasys comprehensive scanner tool to it this evening, and this is what we got from the ECM/PCM;

1. Trans code # 1694

2. ABS codes # 37, 75, 78, 81 (pickup only has rear ABS) - does the tire size being taller than stock which makes the speedo off by 4 mph, cause these codes?

3. PCM module hardware malfunction or "Communication Failure or no Controller Available error.

At one point it seemed like his Pegasys scanner could not get any real time data from the system either, so should I be looking for a 99 Dodge Cummins auto trans PCM now? If so, does anyone here have a 99 auto trans PCM for a decent price? What PCM part number do I need to be looking for?

I bought a 99 Cummins ECM from him (ESN # 56602445, P/N 3942336, S/N 2153549, D/C 06/16/99, ECM Code J90269.05) for $50 but haven't had time to swap it into the pickup yet. I know the ECM has been changed before I got the pickup because the VIN on it does not match the VIN of the pickup. The pickup VIN is 1B7KF2369XJ553768 and the ECM VIN is 1B7KC2368XJ503078. The only real difference between the two is that the ECM VIN is from a 2wd pickup and not a 4x4.

I can't wait for @Chris O. to get his custom DRBIII tool available, because it seems as I will need one of them to help me get these things fixed on my pickup.

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by 99_Cummins_4x4

• Staff

I found a known good used PCM from a 99 Cummins 4x4 Quad Cab Laramie SLT with a 47RE trans and Federal Emissions just like my pickup is set up for $150. I know that the PCM VIN won't match my pickup, but will it do anything off besides throw the vin mismatch code?

Edited by 99_Cummins_4x4

PCM or ECM?

About the lowest core charge on a ECM if found is $200 .

If I was you I would be trying to find a reputable place that can program a ECM to your vin #.

Try Flight Systems- RAE.: https://www.remanautoelectronics.com/dodge/cummins-78.aspxThis is where I bought my ECM for my '99

Their prices are very good too.  I know shops are getting ECMs from them and raising the price to their customers

Also Look Here:

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

Anyone have any input on using a 99 Cummins 4x4 47RE PCM that was programmed for 4 wheel ABS on my 99 Cummins 4x4 47RE (both trucks are Laramie SLT with the same options) that only has rear ABS? Will it throw a constant ABS/brake light on the dash, and will it throw a CEL due to the PCM having a different VIN?

I need some help with this ASAP please.

I'm sorry I can't answer it, usually if I don't reply, I simply don't know or busy with life. I can't speak for others but have a feeling it's about same. Someone will probably answer your questions but it's not always on time as I found myself. We do all try though. I understand the urgency we all have at times. Just wanted to reply to let you know more then likely we are all looking at threads just need to wait for the right person. 

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronics and some days wish I had a 12 valve that was built. 

2 hours ago, 99_Cummins_4x4 said:

My current PCM shows that it was reprogrammed by the dealer in 2002, so I think they are able to re-flash/re-program it.

You cannot change the vin in the pcm with a reflash using a drb III or emulator. A flash update is based off the vin the tool recognizes. What you are asking for does not exist as the controller is locked.