• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I see this kind of "Cool Factor" every where from totally slammed to the ground to jacked up a mile hifgh. To aggressive rake. No matter how you slice it the geometry of the front axle is trashed and the performance is junk. 

They obviously have the money to throw at their vehicles and to fuel them. Betcha that truck isn't getting 10 mpg or less lol. 

post-338-0-27927600-1392954115_thumb.jpg

Saw this one when I was down in Alabama. That's a corner of my job site just above the hood. He came up right after I took the picture. Got in, fired it up and it went his dd ride height. Hit a button and it went to his tow height. He had a landscape business and towed equipment and materials with. When looked in the bed you could tell he did use it. I believe he put a lot more thought and $$$ in it than the Ford guy. Still not my cup of cool.

14 hours ago, dripley said:

post-338-0-27927600-1392954115_thumb.jpg

Saw this one when I was down in Alabama. That's a corner of my job site just above the hood. He came up right after I took the picture. Got in, fired it up and it went his dd ride height. Hit a button and it went to his tow height. He had a landscape business and towed equipment and materials with. When looked in the bed you could tell he did use it. I believe he put a lot more thought and $$$ in it than the Ford guy. Still not my cup of cool.

You have got to be kidding!! LOL!! I can not understand why someone would spend the money just so you could lower your truck to the ground. :wtf:

Yep.   That is probably the biggest killer of closed system hydraulic/gear fluids.  (transmissions, differentials transfer case  power steering.)   The high temperatures break the molecular chains in the fluids.  The higher the temperature the faster the degredation. 

Here is a quick chart.  Not far off of reality.

This is pretty much the same for most hydraulic oils (the oils in our differentials, are a bit better but they are much higher initial viscosity.)

image.png.57ea3dd1fbf9a06962ed4e371b492717.png

• Thanks 1

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

This is something I hav nt heard about. So heat makes the fluid "go bad"?

Yeah, heat. Most people don't know they are supposed to change power steering fluid every 30k miles. That system do not have any filters so it important to change the fluid at 30k miles. So I monitor my fluid for color as the color changes it gets a full system flush and reloaded. I'm getting due to another power steering flush. Maybe that way my power steering pump is still going after 334k miles and never failed yet. Not to mention the power steering gear box and hyroboost are still functioning properly I've only got one minor leak at the input shaft of the steering box. 

Again this is another reason for NOT putting bigger tires on. The larger tires require more pressure in the steering box to turn the tires in a turn so the fluid temperature increases. Again people don't change the PS fluid often enough and presto, whole nightmare of power steering hydraulics problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah, heat. Most people don't know they are supposed to change power steering fluid every 30k miles. That system do not have any filters so it important to change the fluid at 30k miles. So I monitor my fluid for color as the color changes it gets a full system flush and reloaded. I'm getting due to another power steering flush. Maybe that way my power steering pump is still going after 334k miles and never failed yet. Not to mention the power steering gear box and hyroboost are still functioning properly I've only got one minor leak at the input shaft of the steering box. 

Again this is another reason for NOT putting bigger tires on. The larger tires require more pressure in the steering box to turn the tires in a turn so the fluid temperature increases. Again people don't change the PS fluid often enough and presto, whole nightmare of power steering hydraulics problems.

If you change PS fluid at 30k without a filter, would you extend that interval with a filter?

• Owner
1 hour ago, Sycostang67 said:

If you change PS fluid at 30k without a filter, would you extend that interval with a filter?

No. Because still the heat is breaking down the fluid. Not to mention if you have a filter and in plugs up are you willing to lose steering and braking control because you trying to extend a fluid change interval? Not I... I'd rather change it every 30k miles. 

• Like 1