• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump Question

13 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I found it! It was right there beside the fuel inlet I just didn’t realize that it was the return line. I assume that you just ditch both inlet and return lines?

You keep the engine return line. You need it. Not sure how the FASS connects to the supply.

2 hours ago, wh82 said:

*sigh this is what has kept me from upgrading to FASS or AirDog... both of them have their warranty process as a cross-ship but if I'm thousands of miles away from home I don't want to sit and wait for the shipping, I want to be able to go to a store and buy a new one. And of course a spare would be pricey.

Has anyone done what I was reading about recently where you add a SUMP.. definitely beans single hole single o-ring, the fass one has like 20 screw holes which seems like a leak waiting to happen... then a AirDog or FASS up to a ball valve and a T feeding into the stock canister filter/heater?

I'm thinking that is the route I want to try so my stock system is still there, just turned off at the ball valve and the harness disconnected because its connected to the better pump, and if anything should ever happen I could at least move the harness back to the stock pump and flip the 2 valves to the opposite positions and be back up and running.. Thoughts?

Heard of folks working the stock pump into the system. Never done it myself. My AD runs thru the stock filter canister. Also I do not have a sump and have no need or desire for one. My fuel module is capable of draining the tank. I don't want a big hole in the bottom of it. Just my preference.

Edited by dripley

13 minutes ago, dripley said:

You keep the engine return line. You need it. Not sure how the FASS connects to the supply.

Heard of folks working the stock pump into the system. Never done it myself. My AD runs thru the stock filter canister. Also I do not have a sump and have no need or desire for one. My fuel module is capable of draining the tank. I don't want a big hole in the bottom of it. Just my preference.

Hmm ok so how do I connect the Fass return guys?

Yea I tend to agree. I’d rather not have a hole in my tank 

2 hours ago, wh82 said:

*sigh this is what has kept me from upgrading to FASS or AirDog... both of them have their warranty process as a cross-ship but if I'm thousands of miles away from home I don't want to sit and wait for the shipping, I want to be able to go to a store and buy a new one. And of course a spare would be pricey.

Has anyone done what I was reading about recently where you add a SUMP.. definitely beans single hole single o-ring, the fass one has like 20 screw holes which seems like a leak waiting to happen... then a AirDog or FASS up to a ball valve and a T feeding into the stock canister filter/heater?

I'm thinking that is the route I want to try so my stock system is still there, just turned off at the ball valve and the harness disconnected because its connected to the better pump, and if anything should ever happen I could at least move the harness back to the stock pump and flip the 2 valves to the opposite positions and be back up and running.. Thoughts?

Had the (great) ??experience of fass quitimg at very bad location.  Nothing bad about them though...over 10 years old at time.  Now I'm set up with fic fittings and 80 dollars carter pump under back seat.  Takes me 20 min to...turn shut off valves, unscrew failed pump and screw back up carter and move elec connection.  Then open valves and start.

Was at rv park when it failed

Couldn't do the work myself and ended getting hosed in process.  Vulcan diesel got me set up with back up pump.  Should it ever happen again...not going to be hostage to mechanic that has to call his brother we 150 miles away to translate spanish to english to order parts.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Now I'm set up with fic fittings and 80 dollars carter pump under back seat.

So it sounds like you're doing exactly what i wanted your fass with the carter backup? whats a fic fitting?

It may not be optimal may be lower power but i definitely like the idea of being able to move while I wait for the replacement large pump. I like redundancy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, trreed said:

Fass suction connects to the stock supply on the basket. No modification to the basket required. The fass return will be plumbed to the filler neck

I understand that part. What I need to know is where does the other end of the return go? Someone said yo uleave the factory return line hooked up?

22 minutes ago, wh82 said:

So it sounds like you're doing exactly what i wanted your fass with the carter backup? whats a fic fitting?

It may not be optimal may be lower power but i definitely like the idea of being able to move while I wait for the replacement large pump. I like redundancy.

The so called mechanic ordered a air dog ( they have a guy that speakers "habla" .  Anyway call Vulcan diesel ask him what do you need to swoop out your pump should it break middle of now where.  I think fass and airdog have different elec fittings.  Which ever way you go.

20180226_171749.jpg

20180226_171742.jpg

Just now, trreed said:

There's two return lines. Stock stays in place. Fass return gets put to the filler neck return that's in the package to you.

Right I understand all that. Lets focus on the Fass return line. The one end goes into the filler neck but where does the other end of the Fass return line hook up too?

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

You've got the old school basket. I think its the left tube. You should be able to follow the tube from the filter toward the injection pump. 

Thanks. Ifs rather hard to see the lines on the inside of the frame rail as the fuel tank is right beside. We will get it figured out though. Got a big line kit from filter to injection pump installed and preparing for the Fass to arrive tomorrow and get back on the road! :cheers: