• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Ford 6.7 Liter Diesel

flman

Looks like Ford did their home work on this one, except they forgot to make it an inline diesel :neutral: Looks like they made a new transmission and turbo charger while they were at it as well. It will appeal the quiet V8 diesel crowd. We will have to see how this new power train holds up in the real world? So far it looks impressive. http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/features/

Only time will tell. People were saying the same thing after seeing the 6.0 brochure :lol: That 6.7 has 4 pushrods and rockers PER cylinder. Be interesting to see the service manual for that thing.

Just looking at either the Ford 6.7 or the GM 6.6 under the hood in the vehicle just instinctively triggers that distaster thoughts of "Ohhhhhh Gawd.......I would NEVER want to have to work on that complex, convoluted, mess". There is not much room under the hood with those engines. Maintenance must be a total headach. :banghead: I'll stick with my Cummins. Thank you. :neutral:

I love my Cummins and my other inline diesels just as much as you do. It is good to look and see what the other side is up to as well. Ford built this engine, not Navistar, so it is not the 6.0. I wonder how that new Ford Tranny is going to hold up? I guess it is all speculation at this point?

• Owner

That best part of the Cummins the entire engine remained simple is deisn till the 3rd Gen common rail and start really changing by the time 6.7L came out with all its EPA toyz and junk... Now if the big 3 would quit playing the HP/TQ game looking for every onuce of juice and go back to a smaller simplier more you'll be surpised to find that all the EGR and DPF are not needed... I love the older 12V engine because they need very little to even run. I love my 24V because of the VP44's abilities for dynamic timing and good MPG's. As for Fords engines... I got to admit they great work horses we've got a ambulance in town that is Ford powered and with dual turbos. Surprise to see that thing haulin' 3 EMT, 1 sheriff, 1 Patient, 1 driver and myself at over 65 MPH going up a 7% grade for 7 miles...

I love my 24V because of the VP44's abilities for dynamic timing and good MPG's.

Alright this is getting old. I am not going to say you are wrong or anything but the only way I see this as being true is in THEORY. When I went from 13.5 to 16* timing, it clacked more, was a bit peppier, big whoop, mileage didn't seem to change much if at all, and lets remember I DON'T see under 20mpg, EVER, in fact, I have yet to see under 21mpg. Yes, it does get cold here, and my statistics still hold in 0F weather. Now this is without a trailer, but also held with 2 engine blocks in the back all winter.. So, although the VP44 has dynamic timing (which Taz's truck and every 1st gen ALSO have), I don't see it as much of an advantage. I have cold start videos in 2F (before I advanced my timing) showing my truck firing up instantly. So you might have an advantage there, but seeing as how I hardly noticed any mileage difference when advancing mine, I don't really see why I couldn't put my timing back to stock and start as good as yours and still never get under 21mpg. You said in a different post that excellent is over 20mpg, and normal is 16-18, I get 16-18 pulling that enclosed trailer I had a pic of. I'm not trying to be mean but you always brag about dynamic timing and I see no proof that it is really that big a deal. It theoretically runs better than mine would lower in the RPM's (since I advanced mine...) but either way my timing was, I still couldn't drop under 21. Maybe yours has more power throughout the RPM's, maybe it runs better, but I still get from point A to B as fast as you do using as much if not less fuel. Now, what I think you SHOULD be bragging about is having sensors to tell you whats wrong, being able to change all your timing and fueling parameters from the EDGE or whatever chip you have, being able to control idle, being able to high idle, being able to 3cyl idle, and all the other things that are automatic. I have nothing against 24v's, you would think I would after the entire 24v forum is about fuel pumps and APPS and other things that I don't have to worry about, but you guy's have found fixes for it well maybe not the VP but I do believe religiously doing the 2 stroke thing would keep everything in good shape. I also absolutely love the chip features and everything you can change and the idling is all automatic, you don't realize how much I have to mess with my throttle cable/idle control to keep it where I want it, it's a PITA. I hate seeing all your high idle and 3cyl idle stuff that I don't have also! :evilgrin: Frankly, I woulda swapped JOHNFAK trucks even when his trans was crapping out. The automatic things the computer does on them is just incredible.

Just looking at either the Ford 6.7 or the GM 6.6 under the hood in the vehicle just instinctively triggers that distaster thoughts of "Ohhhhhh Gawd.......I would NEVER want to have to work on that complex, convoluted, mess". There is not much room under the hood with those engines. Maintenance must be a total headach. :banghead: I'll stick with my Cummins. Thank you. :neutral:

I've been told that the new powerstrokes are packed i there so tight that the dealers lift the cab off to do anything major on them, only way they can get at the back :rolleyes:

That best part of the Cummins the entire engine remained simple is deisn till the 3rd Gen common rail and start really changing by the time 6.7L came out with all its EPA toyz and junk...

I hear with the Urea injection it eliminates a bunch of EPA junk from the engine. You never know, you may one day have a Cummins with Urea injection?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I have nothing against 24v's, you would think I would after the entire 24v forum is about fuel pumps and APPS and other things that I don't have to worry about, but you guy's have found fixes for it well maybe not the VP but I do believe religiously doing the 2 stroke thing would keep everything in good shape. I also absolutely love the chip features and everything you can change and the idling is all automatic, you don't realize how much I have to mess with my throttle cable/idle control to keep it where I want it, it's a PITA. I hate seeing all your high idle and 3cyl idle stuff that I don't have also! :evilgrin: Frankly, I woulda swapped JOHNFAK trucks even when his trans was crapping out. The automatic things the computer does on them is just incredible.

I consider you lucky to have a B series, I wish my FL had the B series in it. It would have saved me alot of heartache. I see you even have an old Ford IDI? I owned a few of them as well, they were very trouble free, except for glow plugs.

I consider you lucky to have a B series, I wish my FL had the B series in it. It would have saved me alot of heartache. I see you even have an old Ford IDI? I owned a few of them as well, they were very trouble free, except for glow plugs.

The 24 and 12 both have their completely different downfalls. The only difference is the 24v downfalls cost you more money. I plan on moving to colorado when I am done with college and seeing as how I plan on living in a remote location that will probably include places I can't go through with my 2wd in winter, I need a 4wd for it. I don't care how much preventative modifications I have to do to it, I would buy a 24v over a 12v for my winter uses in a heartbeat. They are just pure cadillac compared to mine. They all sound the same, they all idle the same, they all go the same speed (if same specs of course). I can put up with mine and do everything manually and have one foot on the brake clutch and fuel at the same time (seeing as how it idles so low it will die or just sound horrible when engine is still 0F, so taking off from a stoplight I have to do this, if I idle it up, how will I lug it to get through the snow, not like I have a 4wd lo....) Oh and then theres the cup holder...........:lmao: I loved my IDI. It took 2 minutes of cranking to start, had as much power as the moped passing me, and was the best driving thing I have ever driven. I would leave it in 4wd all winter, even at highway speeds and there was absolutely no vibration when doing it. It was so synced that I could pop it in and out of 4wd at any speed I wanted. 10mpg tends to get expensive when diesel was $5/gal :stuned: Otherwise I would have kept driving it. Right now the engine is pulled and awaiting further confirmation when I decide to put a cummins in it or something. :shrug:

• Owner

Alright this is getting old. I am not going to say you are wrong or anything but the only way I see this as being true is in THEORY. When I went from 13.5 to 16* timing, it clacked more, was a bit peppier, big whoop, mileage didn't seem to change much if at all, and lets remember I DON'T see under 20mpg, EVER, in fact, I have yet to see under 21mpg. Yes, it does get cold here, and my statistics still hold in 0F weather. Now this is without a trailer, but also held with 2 engine blocks in the back all winter.. So, although the VP44 has dynamic timing (which Taz's truck and every 1st gen ALSO have), I don't see it as much of an advantage. I have cold start videos in 2F (before I advanced my timing) showing my truck firing up instantly. So you might have an advantage there, but seeing as how I hardly noticed any mileage difference when advancing mine, I don't really see why I couldn't put my timing back to stock and start as good as yours and still never get under 21mpg. You said in a different post that excellent is over 20mpg, and normal is 16-18, I get 16-18 pulling that enclosed trailer I had a pic of. I'm not trying to be mean but you always brag about dynamic timing and I see no proof that it is really that big a deal. It theoretically runs better than mine would lower in the RPM's (since I advanced mine...) but either way my timing was, I still couldn't drop under 21. Maybe yours has more power throughout the RPM's, maybe it runs better, but I still get from point A to B as fast as you do using as much if not less fuel. Now, what I think you SHOULD be bragging about is having sensors to tell you whats wrong, being able to change all your timing and fueling parameters from the EDGE or whatever chip you have, being able to control idle, being able to high idle, being able to 3cyl idle, and all the other things that are automatic. I have nothing against 24v's, you would think I would after the entire 24v forum is about fuel pumps and APPS and other things that I don't have to worry about, but you guy's have found fixes for it well maybe not the VP but I do believe religiously doing the 2 stroke thing would keep everything in good shape. I also absolutely love the chip features and everything you can change and the idling is all automatic, you don't realize how much I have to mess with my throttle cable/idle control to keep it where I want it, it's a PITA. I hate seeing all your high idle and 3cyl idle stuff that I don't have also! :evilgrin: Frankly, I woulda swapped JOHNFAK trucks even when his trans was crapping out. The automatic things the computer does on them is just incredible.

Geez... ISX can you tell me what you really think about it? :shrug::lol:

Geez... ISX can you tell me what you really think about it? :shrug::lol:

Well it's true! The P7100 trucks are the only one that aren't dynamic so when you say you love yours for being dynamic, your saying the P7100 trucks suck since they aren't. But I see no proof of this at all, everything in my long post proves that dynamic is not even worth mentioning. If you can make a point of it being an advantage other than what guesswho exclaimed, then I will gladly listen. I do think dynamic might allow you to build power at all RPM's more effectively, but I have no problem getting sent back into the seat at any RPM above 1600 in which the turbo lights. Maybe on a dyno you could see a flatter curve than me, but in real world scenarios, I'm not seeing it.

By giving so much praise to the new engine it sounds like they are admitting that the 6.4L engine was not all that great...."Best-in-class 735 lb.-ft. of torque and 390 horsepower.* Best-in-class fuel efficiency, too, with an 18% improvement over the previous engine.† B20-capability. Quieter than you could have ever imagined. And the cleanest diesel ever in a Ford Super Duty®. That’s the 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel, the result of a team of Ford engineers who designed this all-new engine to do what Super Duty® owners need it to do. Provide reliable service for hundreds of thousands of miles. Run hot, run cold. Pull more. Haul more. Work more."

they are using common-rail injection on this new 6.7, does anyone know which pump it is?bore 3.90", stroke 4.25", compression ratio 16.2/1my 99 is: bore 4.02, stroke 4.72, 16.3/1the 6.7liter cummins is: bore 4.21, stroke 4.88i guess the power fairy is liking those other 2 cylinders, or someone is breaking emissions on the test bench:2cents:

they are using common-rail injection on this new 6.7, does anyone know which pump it is? bore 3.90", stroke 4.25", compression ratio 16.2/1 my 99 is bore 4.02, stroke 4.72, 16.3/1 the 6.7liter is bore 4.21, stroke 4.88 i guess the power fairy is liking those other 2 cylinders, or someone is breaking emissions on the test bench:2cents:

I can't find anything other than it's a Bosch. Beginning to think Bosch is a monopoly lol.

In the "real" cold, my 04.5 starts way better than my '99 did/does. ISX, 2* isn't cold!!!!:lmao2::lmao2:

*NEGATIVE* 2 DAMNIT!! :lol: I'd like to see how it did at -20 though. Actually, let me retard the timing first :lmao: