• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Why not pressurize the system from the VP fitting and see where the leak is coming from?  Takes like 30 minutes. 

Will that work going back thru the pump? I don't know just asking. Almost sounds to easy.

Edited by dripley

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It never starts hard. It only IDLES like crap when warm. Also it never used to lope when releasing the clutch and it does that now warm or cold. The clear hose is going to tell me if there is air in the fuel. If there’s not I’ll suspect the VP44. Obviously I want to try the cheaper options first and work up to the Vp44. I’m ready to replace it if I have to but not if I don’t have to.

How did you pressurize at the Vp44? Air hose?

@notlimah Did you check out the video of what the truck is doing that I posted?

Yea I saw the video. Definitely sounds like air, I was misunderstanding your problem earlier though. I think you're easiest fix right now is a new filters. If the problem still exists, I'd check for leaks as @trreed suggested. You shouldn't have any issues checking for leaks that way, just don't get too crazy with the air hose. That'd at least clear you of all the suction lines in the system outside of the fuel module and in tank stuff.

9 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Yea I saw the video. Definitely sounds like air, I was misunderstanding your problem earlier though. I think you're easiest fix right now is a new filters. If the problem still exists, I'd check for leaks as @trreed suggested. You shouldn't have any issues checking for leaks that way, just don't get too crazy with the air hose. That'd at least clear you of all the suction lines in the system outside of the fuel module and in tank stuff.

Thanks! Iv got Dad picking up the filters in town tonight. 

Just now, Shainer said:

Good luck.  I'll be watching from the sidelines.  :popcorn:

Thanks man! Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this! Headed to town in 30 mins so when I get back I’ll see if the truck still does what it does. I’ll replace the filters either this evening or tomorrow morning. If those both fail I’ll check for leaks doing what ever treed is going to tell  me to do!:pray:

I don’t know how to do this yet or I’d tell you! Lol. What’s your opinion? Vp or air in fuel?

It is a toss up my friend. It could be either. I understand your thoughts on the VP. When my ECM  died back in 09, nobody could offer me anything better than check your grounds. Heard that over and over. Me, I was sure it was the ECM but had no knowledge to back that up. So i spent a month or more before replacing it. A VP is a big ticket item also and without some other verification we are hard pressed to tell you to buy one and hope it works. I see to many people show up here after spending 2, 3 or 4 grand chasing problems with parts with no solutions. Dont want you to be one of these folks.

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dripley said:

It is a toss up my friend. It could be either. I understand your thoughts on the VP. When my ECM  died back in 09, nobody could offer me anything better than check your grounds. Heard that over and over. Me, I was sure it was the ECM but had no knowledge to back that up. So i spent a month or more before replacing it. A VP is a big ticket item also and without some other verification we are hard pressed to tell you to buy one and hope it works. I see to many people show up here after spending 2, 3 or 4 grand chasing problems with parts with no solutions. Dont want you to be one of these folks.

I don’t wanna be one of those folks either haha! Just got

ba i from town guys we’ll start her up ina little while and see what happens...

2 hours ago, Shainer said:

I test systems as they function.  Half of the low pressure system operates in varying degrees of vacuum.  Pressurizing may not yield valid results.  Second is how does the FASS pressure regulator, bypass and return work?  Pressurize from the VP back... will that actually send pressure to the tank via the suction line, bypass line, both, or deadhead at the regulator?  I don't know that answer.  You packed the quick connect with grease.  Run it!  If it improves well you found the issue, and you don't need clear line or anything else other than fix that connection or replace the entire assembly with a draw straw.

Regulates pressure via a ball and spring system in the return line. 

37FF9E82-073D-40E6-9BF1-FC6FDA41B2B9.jpeg.0701e59d9953d3a8326a989c59986aa3.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Alright I started her up and she did it again but it was off and on this time. It would do it for 15 secs and then quit for 10. 

Whats then fuel level been? Remind me again what all is done to the fuel module.

17 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Regulates pressure via a ball and spring system in the return line. 

37FF9E82-073D-40E6-9BF1-FC6FDA41B2B9.jpeg.0701e59d9953d3a8326a989c59986aa3.jpeg

Whats then fuel level been? Remind me again what all is done to the fuel module.

Fuel module is stock. Half tank currently.

Went out and ran her agin. Same thing. I wonder if the grease was thick enough? Or the leak is elsewhere?