• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White smoke on start up less with warm motor

Here is an article about it.

One oz per gallon is the desired mix but dont worry if you put to much or dont have enough at a fill up. Any is better than none. Just try and keep it close. TCW3 is a must as mentioned mention above by @notlimah. It is ashless.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

187,000  stock injectors as far as I know.  So I take it the blue haze ain't normal for cold start then?

What’s the temperature when cold starting? As far as I know when it’s cold your going to get blue smoke. I get blue smoke when it’s 15 20 degrees and I have brand new injectors.

• Owner

Injectors are most likely shot. Typically have to replace 100-150k miles.

Typically the blue haze could be either fuel that is not burning or like in my case it valve guide seal that are failing. But valve guide only let off a single puff of blue smoke and it smells like burning oil. Since you not talking about a burning oil smell I would have to stick to the injectors are worn out. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Unreal Summit said:

It was 32 with strong winds this mornin unknown wind chill.   Is it safe to drive or do I need to stop and get new injectors asap

You can drive it but you might get stranded when they go out somewhere away from home but if you drive the truck around local I’d go for it.

• Owner

Safe to drive but the file economy will be lowered. 

In a nutshell how these engines work is your compressing air enough to create the heat. Then injecting fine atomized fuel into the heated air to make it go bang. So when the injectors wear out the injector pop pressure opens early. So stock is suppose to be at 4,500 PSI +/- 250 PSI. Now the injector is opening early the spray is not atomized good so there is a smoky haze because the heat isn't enough to make all the fuel burn completely. 

The most you might notice is a offbeat or miss idle when hot this is the injectors causing this. 

• Like 2