• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad installed!

notlimah

Alright someone explain what’s goin on. Am I really seeing 44psi? Backing off %34 means it’s saying max boost is at roughly 30lbs. Pretty sure I saw my manual gauge only hit 32, and I have the quad set to defuel at 35 (safe for an HX right?) I can definitely tell the trucks backing off. I’ve seen a yellow and green bar flash up at the bottom of the quad app, what’s that mean?

ACFBAABF-D87E-409C-A9EF-63E79380D847.jpeg.962c72a708a88021b2077105034888f3.jpeg

• Owner
10 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I think I need a 4in exhaust!

Won't change the EGT's much if any at all. I've been running 3" for a very long time. No issues. Then jump to 4" after mine rotten off the only thing that changed for me was the DRONE. Even with a muffler there is more DRONE than change in EGT's. 

17 minutes ago, trreed said:

Man you're just picking up parts left and right!

No thanks to you!!

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Won't change the EGT's much if any at all. I've been running 3" for a very long time. No issues. Then jump to 4" after mine rotten off the only thing that changed for me was the DRONE. Even with a muffler there is more DRONE than change in EGT's. 

I’m completely stock exhaust wise though. I’ll see a decent drop from stock to 4in. Plus planning on running it with a resonator. It sounds soooo nice! Loud enough to know it’s not stock but quiet enough to daily and not annoy the neighbors and no drone!

• Owner
22 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I’ll see a decent drop from stock to 4in.

Nope. Won't change much.

If I take my backdown setting for EGT's and turn them off I can tip 1,500*F EASY! Trust me 4" is not going to drop your EGT's just because you bolt it on. What will change EGT's is more timing advancement which will lower the EGT's, more fire in the cylinder and less blowing out the turbo. (This might need to be looked at on your tune) My problem is I've got no control of my boost pressure (Edge Products boost elbow - non-adustable) and I'm sure I'm hitting the choke point of the turbo and just creating massive heat. The other step is I've running my wiretap tune on top of a good stand-alone CANBus tune. I need to rebuild the CANBus tune to control fuel on the upper end. 

Already got 4" and can get wild on the EGT's...

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/modification/275-4-inch-diamond-eye-aluminized-exhaust/

Edited by Mopar1973Man

If by won't change much you mean maybe 100-ish degrees then sure, I'd agree. I installed a 4in on my last truck and EGT's dropped about that over the stock exhaust in certain places, and that was on a completely stock motor.

I'm not saying that just because you put a 4in exhaust on the truck you can go crazy and not have to worry about EGTs. That being said, the whole point of larger exhaust is to get hot air out quicker and in turn that'll help get EGTs down a bit.

5 minutes ago, notlimah said:

If by won't change much you mean maybe 100-ish degrees then sure, I'd agree. I installed a 4in on my last truck and EGT's dropped about that over the stock exhaust in certain places, and that was on a completely stock motor.

I'm not saying that just because you put a 4in exhaust on the truck you can go crazy and not have to worry about EGTs. That being said, the whole point of larger exhaust is to get hot air out quicker and in turn that'll help get EGTs down a bit.

Its just like people who install a banks intake horn and think that it added a whole bunch of horsepower because it "flows" better when in fact theirs guys with 800+hp trucks running a stock air horn. Now with the exhaust I agree with you when you say that just because you have a 4" doesn't mean you don't have to worry about EGT's. In my mind I agree with Moparman when he says to adjust the tuning instead of paying $350+ for an exhaust system just to lower EGTs. But then again a 4" exhaust does sound great :cummins:

I'm not discounting tuning as an option, but that hasn't always been an option and the bigger, free-er flowing exhaust has always been a go-to mod because why? It removes hot air quicker, and gives you slightly lower EGTs. So yea, we can now tune with the Quad to lower EGTs, but why not use another part that'll help lower that even more?

Not saying that either of you are saying this, but it almost sounds like there's no point in running a bigger, free-er flowing exhaust now that we have the quad available.

• Owner

14 minutes ago, notlimah said:

but that hasn't always been an option and the bigger, free-er flowing exhaust has always been a go-to mod because why?

Because the fact is the same air comes in a 3" intake horn with no issues why do you need 4 or 5 inch exhaust? Even with expanding gases it will still fit in a 3" pipe. Now the science is yeah there is going to be some pressure there but will flow through muffler or straight pipe there is no restriction to hang it up. This why for racing they would look into the 4 and 5 inch exhaust for more flow because they are running WOT. Daily driver different story where you run WOT 1-2% of the time. 

17 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Not saying that either of you are saying this, but it almost sounds like there's no point in running a bigger, free-er flowing exhaust now that we have the quad available.

More or less yeah. In the past most tuners didn't give control of how much fuel and timing so most canned tunes where about the power and the smoke. Now with the Quadzilla you can produce a clean burning tune and control the fuel and timing to fit the engine without the need of huge exhaust and dual air ram intakes. Still making good power without killing the EGT gauge.