• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tapping VP with 70k?

So I’m running through the pros and cons of tapping my VP. My main thinking is it’d be fun to have until I can throw bigger injectors in the truck and use the quad to tune accordingly. 

My main concerns are I’m not entirely sure of the mileage on the VP. I think it’s at around 70ish and even though the PO kept good care of the truck, he didn’t have records of it and I had to call the dealership to confirm and they were a little unsure of the date as it’d been a while and they’re system had crashed at some point making certain things not show. 

Either way, PO didn’t use two stroke, ran a hyper tech tuner and had an intake lift pump so I’m sure it ran under pressured and without proper lubrication until I got it.

So am I basically rolling the dice by tapping it? Or am I at just as much risk as I am now running untapped? 

My second pump had about 30k on it when I did my first tap. It lasted another 120k running on LSD and ULSD. No 2 stroke during its life. Lost a lift pump during that time and knew very little about fuel pressure then. The thresholds were much lower then. I would not be afraid to do it at 70k.

• Like 1

• Owner

Geez... That low in life being I had 243k on my last pump. Now replaced it with a DAP unit (Midwest Fuel Injection). I ran a full year untapped and put on over 49k miles already. Figure spring time I'd be road safe no more snow and ice. Then the warranty would be up as well. Slapped the stealth plate on and kept trucking. Best way to tap I've never had any wire issues or electronics issues. 

20180325_112234.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Geez... That low in life being I had 243k on my last pump

That was the one before this one. This one has 220k on it. I am creeping up on you. This one has had a steady diet of 2 stroke and a good bit of bio diesel over the years.

12 hours ago, notlimah said:

Either way, PO didn’t use two stroke, ran a hyper tech tuner and had an intake lift pump so I’m sure it ran under pressured and without proper lubrication until I got it.

That's how my truck was run (minus the tuner) for 97k until I got it, and then I ran it with a smarty, in-tank pump, and no two stroke before I knew anything.  I tapped my pump at 127k, and **** my pants the first time I put my foot down with the TST.

Edited by trreed
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, trreed said:

That's how my truck was run (minus the tuner) for 97k until I got it, and then I ran it with a smarty, in-tank pump, and no two stroke before I knew anything.  I tapped my pump at 127k, and **** my pants the first time I put my foot down with the TST.

:lmao:

was that with stock injectors and turbah??

29 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wouldn't go above 1800 on pump stretch, just no reason to. IMO.

I think I’m currently set at 1800 so depending on how big a coal factory I am I’ll adjust accordingly. 

10 minutes ago, trreed said:

It sure was.  Get ready.

:stuned:

1 hour ago, trreed said:

And then when you get used to how it feels stock, you'll get the power bug and end up like Bayes or Tyler...

I blame all of you! Expect a call from my wife when she starts seeing truck part receipts.

• Haha 2