• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electrical ground issues

20 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

This will roll over your old bones and you'll feel good about it.

5acbaa81d877a_th1.jpg.1b27dfccdca4a53e38640d296c31b523.jpg 

I might have to find another drive to use it in if it comes complete.

• Owner
On 4/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, IBMobile said:

I finished that grounding/alternator B+ modification that @W-T did the write-up on.  First time took a few hours to get everything right but now I could knock that time down to a couple of hours.

Cut the grounds here and throw the rest away.

IMG_2775.JPG.cfd57aaa423022b8de4526b2fccad0a2.JPG

#4 gauge wire from alternator B+ to aux battery.

IMG_2785.JPG.211a406b9a1f9f2a90cd95e294dda8ba.JPG

Now @IBMobile when you unwrapped that part of the loom which way does the ground cable go? How much unwrapping did you have to do?

As for the last photo I hope you installed an alternator fuse. The reason there is an alternator fuse is that if some moron hooks up a set of jumper cable reverse polarity that alternator will be frying quickly if not on fire. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for the last photo I hope you installed an alternator fuse. The reason there is an alternator fuse is that if some moron hooks up a set of jumper cable reverse polarity that alternator will be frying quickly if not on fire.

I was wondering about a fuse my self. Did not get to do this this weekend, but decided I would ask this also before just wiring straight in.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Isn’t that creeper called a “bone”

Yes it is a Bone creeper.

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

when you unwrapped that part of the loom which way does the ground cable go? How much unwrapping did you have to do?

Strip the cover off until you reach the main wire harness,  ~ 3-4".  

Bottom arrow shows the ground wires coming out of the harness.

IMG_2784.JPG.4d35a95947902f4678122838b4e45aa9.JPG

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I hope you installed an alternator fuse.

No,  there is no inline fuses.  It's a mater of personal choice for me.  All the Volvos that I work on don't have one as well as

any other car that I've owned other than this truck.  

In over 45 years working on cars I've seen only one moron jump a car backwards.  Nothing happened to the alternator but the ignition control module got fried which an alternator fuse would not have helped anyway.  

I just had a new issue and not sure if it is related to the grounds we have been discussing.

Jumped in the truck this am fired it off and all is normal. Stopped and bought coffee, fired it off again and drove off. That's when I noticed the speedo is not working and the radio is dead. Turn signals not working and the brake light is flashing. My brake and abs light have been on for a while but constant, first time I have seen it blink in a while. Everything else on the dash is fine. Shut the truck down and fired it back off and all is back to normal or as normal as my truck is.

The only code I have is a p500. Funny thing is it only shows up with the key trick and not my scan gauge. I can see the p500 and the speedo relationship, but why the non working radio, turn signals and the flashing brake light? Grounds maybe to blame for this too?

11 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Maybe the contacts in the ignition switch behind the key and lock.  Next time it happens turn the key slightly counterclockwise and see if the radio or turn signals turn on.

Let's hope that's not it. I just replaced that a week ago, but I will give it try if that happens again.

Seems I am getting an electrical education like it or not.

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Let's hope that's not it. I just replaced that a week ago, but I will give it try if that happens again.

Seems I am getting an electrical education like it or not.

Sounds like me, you don't get to choose, it chose you.

• Staff

I remember putting in a new combination switch in my old first gen. I went for the least expensive brand and it only worked part of the time for flashers blinkers wipers. I know this only distantly related to yours, so Just a thought.:)

21 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Sounds like me, you don't get to choose, it chose you.

Sounds like the electrical gods are going to make me pay a price to drive this truck 20 plus years.

18 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I remember putting in a new combination switch in my old first gen. I went for the least expensive brand and it only worked part of the time for flashers blinkers wipers. I know this only distantly related to yours, so Just a thought.:)

Not that I would ever something made in China. It did just happen to be the only one available same day at the time.

• Haha 1

Small update. Can't seem to catch a break on doing the ground wires. Rain this Sunday and an extremely ill SIL, the weekend blew by. I did wire in a remote starter switch Thursday at work since the starter acted up again. The relay is hot on pin 30 but jumping it to 87 wont start it. 12v straight to the solenoid will. The wire from the relay must be loose or something. Starter did not work Thursday or Friday but but started working again Saturday.

For some reason my ABS  and brake light went out Saturday after being on for the past 3 or 4 months. Brake light returned to normal operation,  blinking when the PB is on. 

• Sad 1