• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo options and opinions

I was fiddling around under the hood today and come to find out that there is excessive turbo play and a lot of oil film in the housing. I can see that the turbine has contacted the oil film and I’m fairly certain I can see a faint mark around the housing beneath the oil. What should I do for a turbo? Rebuild this one or go with a aftermarket or He351cw? Currently running Dap 75s. I think this has something to do with low low end power. Top end with these injectors is really good it takes off well but low end power feels very laggy.... Ipinions? 

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

I thought you already swapped a he351cw?  did we already have this convo or am I loosing my mind and it was someone else?

Nope we had this conversation before about the swap but it never happened lol. I’m thinking the swap will be the next cheapest option besides a rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

what conclusion did we end up with last time?  Is there a reason to change the conclusion?

A rebuild kit is really cheap FYI

I’m not entirely sure. I may either rebuild this one or just do the swap. I need to price all the parts for the swap and see how much less it would be from a new aftermarket turbo 

Just now, crf450ish said:

Once upon a time, someone here (honestly cannot remember) suggested this turbo for me & 150's.....https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/borg-warner-sxe-drop-2nd-gen-dodge/

if you have the $$$....go for it. with the quad V2, you can control fueling. 

If I’m going aftermarket it has to be drop in and be able to run it without having a Qaudzilla. Also I’m not going over 75hp with injectors. 

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

If I’m going aftermarket it has to be drop in and be able to run it without having a Qaudzilla. Also I’m not going over 75hp with injectors. 

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/12290-the-crf450ish-random-question-thread/?do=findComment&comment=150001

I don't feel confident with my knowledge to be suggesting to others what to do and what not to do. What I will do is point you in the same direction i have been pointed in....

Edited by crf450ish

HX35 rebuild kit is $60 from DAP and an hour of your time. (Once the turbo is off the truck)

HE351CW swap is about $400.  Less if you can fabricate your own pipes.

SX-E would be drop in WITH a HX40 downpipe. Also would be laggy with just 75 HP injectors and no tuner. 

• Like 1

• Owner
35 minutes ago, trreed said:

SX-E would be drop in WITH a HX40 downpipe. Also would be laggy with just 75 HP injectors and no tuner. 

I could easily spin that with my setup for sure being the boost gauge just bangs to 45 PSI of boost and wastegate pops and it will settle about 42 PSI and hold. 

39 minutes ago, trreed said:

HX35 rebuild kit is $60 from DAP and an hour of your time. (Once the turbo is off the truck)

HX35W rebuild a small warning which I've run across. Its possible to have an exhaust housing seized to the center section. Then my first rebuild I ended up breaking off all the bolts to the exhaust housing on my stock HX35. Now like my HX35/40 rebuild that came apart nice and rebuilt easy. Just make sure to get a return oil line gasket. So far seen two kits without that one gasket. 

43 minutes ago, trreed said:

HE351CW swap is about $400.  Less if you can fabricate your own pipes.

Where are you getting the parts for the swap? Is 400 including the chRger?

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I could easily spin that with my setup for sure being the boost gauge just bangs to 45 PSI of boost and wastegate pops and it will settle about 42 PSI and hold. 

He's considering a 62/68/12.  Heavier components to spin. 

@Marcus2000monster I think DAP sells the pipes. Not sure if that includes turbo or not. Bet you could make it close if you found a deal on a used one. 

Edited by trreed

• Owner
Just now, trreed said:

You have a 60/60/12. He's considering a 62/68/12.  Heavier components to spin. 

Correct... But I could easily spin that 62/68/12. Trust me I got enough fuel for it. This little 60/60/12 literally snaps the boost needle to 45 PSI QUICK! I could use that 62/68/12 but the exhaust brake would be lost.