• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

how do I identify my stock turbo?

I recently removed my stock turbo for a SXE and have a friend that is looking for a HX35, so he asked me if my old turbo was an HX35 and I have no clue. Anybody know how or where I can locate that info? Or anybody know what should have been on the truck stock? 

• Owner

HX35W will be divided exhaust housing where the HY35W is a single port. Take notice tot the exhaust housing the 9cm2 has a raised rib on the HY35W. The HX35W is a smooth faced exhaust housing which is typically 12cm2 .

Image result for hx35 and hy35

HX35W has a hose between the wastegate motor and the discharge. The HY35W has a hard steel tube. 

Image result for hx35 and hy35

• Like 1

'95-'00 automatic and manual trucks had the HX35W.

'01-'02 Manual (5 and 6 speed) trucks had the same turbo. (HX35W)

'01-'02 Automatic trucks got the HY35 for whatever reason.

Somewhere along '99-'00, the HX35's went from a 6 blade compressor wheel to a 7 blade wheel.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Texas CTD said:

'01-'02 Automatic trucks got the HY35 for whatever reason.

Somewhere along '99-'00, the HX35's went from a 6 blade compressor wheel to a 7 blade wheel.

Autos got a HY35 to compensate for torque converter slip.  It's an emissions thing.  Quicker spooling turbo = fewer emissions right at takeoff.

94-98 trucks had an 8 blade HX.  98.5-02 trucks (both HX and HY models) had a 7 blade compressor wheel.  7 blade models flow more air, despite the compressor wheel being 2 mm smaller.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1