• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The fuel pressure will drop on an electrical pump while driving just the nature of the pump. I have an AD II on mine. It idles around 20 psi and drops to about 16 psi under full throttle. What kind of lift do you have? Stock Carter on the block?

This fuel pressure is not the low fuel I am speaking of. The lift pump pressure just provides fuel to VP44 injection pump. It should stay in the 15 to 20 psi range all the time. This will insure a god life for the VP. My defueling issue was with the VP and the fuel it was providing to the engine. 2 separate issues.

Which Quad tuner do you have?

• Like 1

It started out slowly. While driving the truck would bug out and the rpm start going up and down then I took it in to check the codes and had the injection pump death code and map sensor then I thought it went to limp mode but all those parts been check and no codes currently also the truck beside running all engine runs strongs with out any misfire or any problems so I’m thinking the turbo some how is bad but it doesn’t have any shaftplay and it spins just fine 

Edited by jr99cummins
Added more info

• Owner
2 hours ago, jr99cummins said:

so I’m thinking the turbo some how is bad

Remember turbos are dependent on fuel. If there is no fuel burning there is no boost building. As long as the turbo has no play in the shaft bearings (in and out like old school headlight switch) and not making contact with the housing there is nothing wrong with the turbo. Boost or drive pressure leaks are possible.

So now back to fuel. If the timing is overly advanced it can reduce boost pressure. The funny part is my last VP44 last 243k miles and failed this way. The timing piston was stuck FULL ADVANCEMENT and would build any boost and power was very low with the nasty sound knock. 

To spool a turbo you need fuel to be burned and the expanding exhaust gases push past the turbine to spin the turbo to make boost. Like I'm learning with the Quadzilla certain amount of retarding timing is needed to get the turbo spooled up then advance the timing to keep the fuel burning in the cylinder making more power.

• Thanks 1

I agree on the turbo, it sounds like functioning fine. I think I would try disconnecting your adrenaline just to be sure it has no problem. Just disconnect the wiring and return it to stock and see what happens. I did that with my Comp when I was having trouble. Only took 30 minutes and eliminated that as problem.

How is your air filter? Mine got clogged up with vented front diff oil a good many years ago and slowly robbed me some power and boost. 

• Like 1

• Owner
6 hours ago, jr99cummins said:

I took it in to check the codes and had the injection pump death code and map sensor then I thought it went to limp mode

I would start looking here. MAP sensor is in direct control for fuel. If the MAP sensor is malfunctioning then the VP44 is derated fuel to what boost pressure is reported. If the Quadzilla Adrenaline having a boost fooler issue it could create the same problem. As for the VP44 death code, I'm going to assume you've got the P0216 code. Basically, the VP44 can't set the timing correctly. Typically most pumps fall into full retard should still build boost but the power will be weak. 

Just a thought,  (just ran into this on a GM 6.5TD)

Wastegate operation....   Motor would not develop any boost.   (long story short: turns out the vacuum pump on it died.)   I used a hand held vacuum pump and operated it manually during a drive.   started getting boost.  ( I could not get any/or very little boost on the engine sitting still in the driveway.  I guess we just didn't get enough exhaust flow without loading the engine.  was fine running down the road.)

I know ours works off of manifold pressure,  but the components still need to move properly and the wastegate arm needs to seal properly.

HTH

Hag

Yeah I had the map sensor code and the p0216. So got all those fix but the boost problem didn’t get fix. It’s a 1999 24 valve automatic 3500 dually. Looking to buy an another turbo and see if for any reason the turbo is bad even tho it spin and doesn’t have any shaft play. I also block of the wg but noting 0 boost

There is nothing wrong with that turbo charger if it is as you describe. And like @Me78569 says did you disconnect the Quad to be sure it is not the problem ? You are being deprive of fuel somewhere some how.

Throwing an expensive part at the truck hoping it will solve a problem is not the way to go. Diagnose and then spend.