• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 BUCKING ISSUE

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I wouldn't I doubt the issue is related to that . If it is then the damage is already done and the ground mod wont help. 

I agree.... Because I disconnected the alternator and still had the problem

Okay guys,

Moving forward I want to verbalize our next step moving forward because I won't abandon this thread and hope no one else does until this problem has been solved. I would like each of us to be on the same page regarding this issue.

My next step is to connect my OBD reader to collect some data and report back to this thread.  I will do that this evening and hopefully post my data tonight.

In the event I decide to perform the Ground MOD, in the first photo, is this where the Blk/Tn wires get cut to attached to the block as depicted in the second photo?

Under VP44.JPG

block connection.JPG

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Start with the ground a the passenger side battery, trace it to the alternator. Thenfrom there split the loom open all the way to the to the VP44. You'll see the ground splice.

Gotcha...

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Start with the ground a the passenger side battery, trace it to the alternator. Thenfrom there split the loom open all the way to the to the VP44. You'll see the ground splice.

Where is this "new" #8 wire to be picked up from?  Is this the other part of that splice you referenced??

new #8.JPG

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir. @W-T put it back to the way the Dodge FSM states it should be. Not the OEM way which is incorrect. Dodge FSM shows the ECM, PCM and VP44 getting ground from the Driver Side battery. 

Aaaaahhhh..... Okay I think I've got it now.  Just need to stop to the hardware to pick up some AWG #6 automotive wire and some connectors. That M5 x 0.08 bolt will be a ***** to find though

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir. @W-T put it back to the way the Dodge FSM states it should be. Not the OEM way which is incorrect. Dodge FSM shows the ECM, PCM and VP44 getting ground from the Driver Side battery. 

Final question for now...

Because that M5x0.08 bolt will be hard to find, can I conceivable ground the wire under that nut that holds the VP44 to the front cover?

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes, that will work. 

Perfect!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes...  There's some thunderstorms moving into my area so I'm not sure it'll get done today.  But I'll be sure to report back the results up to the time the problem has been eliminated.

I had buking/surging a while back. What solved mine was rebuilt alternator(brushes armature etc) putting more ground wires for bonding (before I did ground mod mentioned above) and finally new injectors. All of that seemed to contribute to the problem. Just did ground mod and just like @dripley it got cut in half, we'll worth it.. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I had buking/surging a while back. What solved mine was rebuilt alternator(brushes armature etc) putting more ground wires for bonding (before I did ground mod mentioned above) and finally new injectors. All of that seemed to contribute to the problem. Just did ground mod and just like @dripley it got cut in half, we'll worth it.. 

Thanks for the success story bud. I was just about to do the ground mod but bad weather prevented me. I can assure you though, come tomorrow,  LORD willing I'll be doing my ground mod if weather also permits. 

UPDATE...

Okay guys,

The ground mod as recommended in the documentation that Mopar1973Man posted  was completed this evening.  I did it exactly as described in the document.

I'll give this a run for the next 8 weeks and if it works Mopor1973Man would have won the prized $200 as it was he that posted the recommendation.

If this doesn't work I'll be back to this same post seeking more advice from you guys and looking to award the person whose recommendation is a direct contributor to solving my issue. 

Wish me luck....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Hopefully that fixes it, and if not we will all help with what we can, but I'm pretty sure whatever money you want to offer everyone will tell you just donate to this place. :thumb1:

Okay bud will do...:thumb1:

• Staff

In thinking about this problem, I'm wondering if it is possible to have an old sensor that could be affected by an even acceptable level of AC voltage noise?

This why I like W-Ts' listed modification to remove the big charge wire from the harness running across the front and disconnect it from 10mm bolt in the PDC. Next is to run the charge wire a shorter distance to the passenger battery positive post.

The idea here is to run any AC voltage noise thru both batteries, which act as filters and affords less chance of affecting sensors or sensitive electronic circuitry.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

In thinking about this problem, I'm wondering if it is possible to have an old sensor that could be affected by an even acceptable level of AC voltage noise?

This why I like W-Ts' listed modification to remove the big charge wire from the harness running across the front and disconnect it from 10mm bolt in the PDC. Next is to run the charge wire a shorter distance to the passenger battery positive post.

The idea here is to run any AC voltage noise thru both batteries, which act as filters and affords less chance of affecting sensors or sensitive electronic circuitry.

Yup, I did that already as it was recommended in the documentation that Mopar1973Man posted for me.  I used a #4AWG wire from the alternator to the positive post of the passenger battery.

• Like 1