• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I’m a Newbie and need help

Try running cold water over top of vp when it doesn't start and see if it starts after, could be psg on vp if they reused old one when rebuilding it.

4 minutes ago, Goonas2 said:

Ok...update time!!! I found the sealing washers at a kenworth dealer and re installed the return line... problem still persist.... but... I did... during a no start situation unplug the lift pump and bam... it fired right up!!!! So moparman1973... what next? Wrong lift pump... is pump putting to much pressure? I thought the more pressure the better on these vp44’s??? At a loss on this one... I hope it is easy fix!!! My wife is dogging me saying I bought junk... and I’m like no!!! These things run for ever!!!!!

Good to know. You need a delay relay mod, it's here someplace @Mopar1973Man 

Make sure you're not drawing power for your lift pump from ECM, and I would also look into upgrading to a better pump that can give you steady 17 18 PSI

• Owner
13 minutes ago, Goonas2 said:

I called my buddy and he said he got it from Rock auto... I can only assume that’s a bad thing....

I'm going to bet you are right...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2001,ram+2500+pickup,5.9l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1366602,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

Need to look at the AirDog or FASS fuel systems. Those on RockAuto don't resolve several problems. No protection relay to keep the lift pump load off the ECM. Stock fuel system plumbing is way too restrictive. Those lift pumps don't have enough volume to keep the VP44 lubed and cooled under heavy throttle.

Image result for stock 6mm line 1/2 inch mopar1973man

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

Guest 04Mach1

I don't have any complaints with the Airdog 100 with .50" fuel lines on my 2001. I hold 15psi at WOT pulls. I don't plan on extreme fuel mods on mine so I went with the 100. If you plan on fueling mods down the line you may consider a higher flow Airdog. You can't go wrong whether you go with Airdog or Fass. I believe they all come with wiring harnesses so they don't pull main power supply from the ECM.

1 hour ago, Goonas2 said:

Ok...update time!!! I found the sealing washers at a kenworth dealer and re installed the return line... problem still persist.... but... I did... during a no start situation unplug the lift pump and bam... it fired right up!!!! So moparman1973... what next? Wrong lift pump... is pump putting to much pressure? I thought the more pressure the better on these vp44’s??? At a loss on this one... I hope it is easy fix!!! My wife is dogging me saying I bought junk... and I’m like no!!! These things run for ever!!!!!

That's all good to hear. As far as fuel pump what plans do you have for the truck? Keep it stock, programmers or anything?

And if your wife makes you sell it give me a call. 

• Owner

Also a AirDog owner. I just got a replacement pump head for the first time after 250k miles. No need for relay mod with a proper lift pump. Those from RockAuto have to use excessive pressure at the start to keep the volume up under load because of the small fuel lines and banjo's you've got stock.

Image result for mopar1973man airdog

1 minute ago, dripley said:

That's all good to hear. As far as fuel pump what plans do you have for the truck? Keep it stock, programmers or anything?

And if your wife makes you sell it give me a call. 

Me first before @dripley ... I can always use another 2nd Gen...

I’m fine with stock... it runs great!!! Pulls incredible!!! I need a recommendation for a good, economical lift pump that is easy to install with very little modifications... is there such thing as a plug in play unit... and if someone includes a link I will buy from one of your vendors!!! I’m so happy we nailed down the problem!!!

What about the FASS drop? It looks very simple to install

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest 04Mach1

Possibly would need the Relay Mod to run Fass DDRP pump since it looks like it plugs into the factory harness. 

Guest 04Mach1

If you want to do it right the first time, you need to get 1/2" big line kit and also modify your fuel basket so it's all in 1/2" throughout. There are right ups on this here. I chose to go with fass 150 titanium and bypassed factory fuel filter, only relying on fass, you will get mixed reviews here. I also modified my fuel basket with draw straw 5 or you can buy already modified one from Vulcan and save time. You're probably looking close to $1000 to do it right, this is just my opinion and we all know they are like a.. ols belly buttons everyone got one. At least you're on a right track.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

you will get mixed reviews here

That is a understatement. If money is tight the DDRP is an improvement over stock. See if they wont sell you a relay harness to get the power off of the ECM. It comes with the full blown systems. And dont forget a fuel pressure gauge. It is a must. But if you have the cash a full system it is the best way go as @Dieselfuture says.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Guest 04Mach1
50 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

If you want to do it right the first time, you need to get 1/2" big line kit and also modify your fuel basket so it's all in 1/2" throughout. There are right ups on this here. I chose to go with fass 150 titanium and bypassed factory fuel filter, only relying on fass, you will get mixed reviews here. I also modified my fuel basket with draw straw 5 or you can buy already modified one from Vulcan and save time. You're probably looking close to $1000 to do it right, this is just my opinion and we all know they are like a.. ols belly buttons everyone got one. At least you're on a right track.

Exactly on point with opinions. As I stated you can't go wrong with either Fass or Airdog. I like both but I like how Airdog makes the full kit with .50" fuel lines that bypass the factory canister filter for right around $600. Fass is a great brand also. Both brands will be an upgrade to what is on the truck now. If I needed a new lift pump and was on a tight budget I would definitely consider the Airdog FRRP Raptor or the Fass DDRP and do the Relay Mod.

7 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Here's how to make a relay mod if one doesn't come with the new pump.

Umm... does anyone know if there is a video to doing this... seems kinda complicated ???