• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What is the "BEST" engine oil & filter to use and why?

• Owner
34 minutes ago, dripley said:

You even have a closet potato farmer in your midst.

:lol2:

A matter of fact I just checked my oil yesterday and its still between full and the add marks. Black but oh well the engine still spins and makes that Cummins music I listen to for over 6 hours a day. 

Another way I look at oil and filters. Look at your big over the road trucks and what they run and the trucks go for long distances without failures. If it works for the bigger Cummins series engines there is no reason it won't work for the smaller ISB engines. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lol2:Another way I look at oil and filters. Look at your big over the road trucks and what they run and the trucks go for long distances without failures. If it works for the bigger Cummins series engines there is no reason it won't work for the smaller ISB engines. 

It does make a difference if you are doing longer distances ..... when your engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials are going through multiple heat cycles. Condensation is steamed away, everything is up to temperature, and things are being lubed the way they were meant to be. Dusty atmosphere is the only 'fly in the jam' .....

• Like 2

• Staff
52 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

It does make a difference if you are doing longer distances ..... when your engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials are going through multiple heat cycles. Condensation is steamed away, everything is up to temperature, and things are being lubed the way they were meant to be. Dusty atmosphere is the only 'fly in the jam' .....

It makes a huge difference. 

One must also consider the sump size vs engine size is anemic in this truck, and the smallest of any ISB. That means shorter oil life and higher oil temperatures. 

Engine load cycles are also big, and more constant in heavy trucks. Look at the marine QSB getting 480 hp, and nothing in the road/truck market is close. 

One can also look at the average fuel use vs displacement, big OTR engines actually lead an easier life. 

If I am doing 65 mph at 20K lbs I get ±10 on the flat ground with 5.9L. A 80K lb OTR truck might be getting ±5.5 mph. So just under 2x the burn rate at 4x the weight, and 2.5x the displacement. It's a much easier life for a 15L. 

• Like 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

When I fire up I'm running 6 hours. I travel 250 to 300 mile in a day for the last nearly 2 years. Even in the past my average distance per run day was at least 100 miles.

• Like 1

Guest 04Mach1
20 hours ago, AH64ID said:

It makes a huge difference. 

One must also consider the sump size vs engine size is anemic in this truck, and the smallest of any ISB. That means shorter oil life and higher oil temperatures. 

Engine load cycles are also big, and more constant in heavy trucks. Look at the marine QSB getting 480 hp, and nothing in the road/truck market is close. 

One can also look at the average fuel use vs displacement, big OTR engines actually lead an easier life. 

If I am doing 65 mph at 20K lbs I get ±10 on the flat ground with 5.9L. A 80K lb OTR truck might be getting ±5.5 mph. So just under 2x the burn rate at 4x the weight, and 2.5x the displacement. It's a much easier life for a 15L. 

Actually most current  ISX15, X15, and other common engines in OTR trucking are getting closer to 7.5 - 8 mpg now days and even 10 mpg is not uncommon with a good driver that doesn't think he has to be first up the hill. Typical oil capacity is 44 - 52 qts. Typical spec'd oil change interval is 45,000 to 50,000 miles, even with EGR and DPF. Their typical cruising rpm is around 1400 rpm with a max rpm of around 1800 when rowing through the gears. Common power setting is around 450 horse 1750 torque, although they are capable of making much more. Most newer OTR trucks are being geared at 3.00:1 gearing or higher and seems direct drive autoshift transmissions are becoming more and more common.

The Chrysler ISB oil pan is about a gallon shy of what you would find in something like a box truck. Most medium duty 6BT and ISB engines used in commercial applications hold 16 qts. instead of our 12.

Cenex Superlube TMS for oil. Just because there is A LOT of it that flows through the shop.No sense in disrupting the cart.Cases upon cases of Cenex lubes show are delivered to the shop.

https://www.cenex.com/lubricants/commercial-fleet/oils/superlube-tms

Fleetguard Stratopore for oil filter. 

For socks...Duluth Trading Company or Gold Toes.

Edited by Ben
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1