• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

is my vp44 shot

• Staff

Out of desperation with a difficult prime, on one occasion I reversed the hose on a shop vac and blew air down in the fuel tank fill neck.  You don't need to do it for long... just short blasts of air and I pressurized fuel all the way to the engine and it started just fine. I also found a leak that way on another occasion. You'll get it to run this way if the VP is good but you better have fuel pressure showing on a gauge to make sure your lift pump is working or your killing the VP.

BTW, during the time you've been trying to get this truck going, even when just bumping the starter, your fuel pressure gauge should be showing at least14-19 fuel pressure.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Out of desperation with a difficult prime, on one occasion, I removed the filter out of a shop vac, cleaned the shop vac inside, reversed the hose so as to blow and blew air down in the fuel tank fill neck. I pressurized fuel all the way to the engine and it started just fine. I also found a leak that way on another occasion. You'll get it to run this way if the VP is good but you better have fuel pressure showing on a gauge to make sure your lift pump is working or your killing the VP.

BTW, during the time you've been trying to get this truck going, even when just bumping the starter, your fuel pressure gauge should be showing at least14-19 fuel pressure.

sadly, i dont have a gauge on this truck, just a low pressure warning light. ive been wanting to get one but this is #3 out of my 3 cummins and doesnt get driven much, and it all stock so unless a raptor completely fails it shouldnt have a problem supplying fuel. you just blew it down into the filler neck?

• Staff

Yes, using my hand to kind of hold air the air in there and pressurized the tank. Do it in short blasts, just a few seconds each time, you don't want to over stress the fuel tank. When you remove the vac hose after just a few seconds you'll be amazed how much pressure comes blowing out the filler neck. You'll see it doesn't take a whole lot.

Just now, JAG1 said:

Yes, using my hand to kind of hold air the air in there and pressurized the tank. Do it in short blasts, just a few seconds each time, you don't want to over stress the fuel tank. When you remove the vac hose after just a few seconds you'll be amazed how much pressure comes blowing out the filler neck. You'll see it doesn't take a whole lot.

are you cranking while doing this or no

• Staff

Usually I have no help for that. It would be better to have someone starting it at the same time.

I have also used an air hose but difficult to keep the air in there with a rag or piece of foam.

Other time I suspected dirt was clogging my draw straw in the tank so I removed a fuel line connection closest to the tank and blew air backwards in the fuel line.

Edited by JAG1

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Need a gauge... (Priority!)

Most low pressure light come on a 3 to 5 PSI which is way too low. You should keep at least a minimum of 14 PSI as a bottom pressure no more than 20 PSI is needed.

yes yes i know. :duh: 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

even if im for sure getting good fuel to the vp? it can still not be primed?

Good flow to vp should be spraying everywhere not barely trickling out make sure there is no air in the line going into the vp before doing the injector lines.. also u can try bleeding one line at a time instead of cracking them all.. I apologize I got busy yesterday.. I hope you get this figured out.. seems most in the thread know what they talking bout so u didn’t need me that much haha.. from person experience with water pumps u can prime em easily hundreds of times and that one time too much water / fluid excapes the chamber it will still pump just not to full potential it is practically vapor locked can’t push the bubble out.. same can happen in the radiator if u fill it too fast.. also if u have a spare battery laying around u can run pos and neg directly to the pump so ur not constantly waiting on it..

Just realized ur pump location is under the hood behind the filter housing.. one of the worst spots cuz the pump gets way too hot.. if this is the case the pump is way diff than what I was picturing in my head more than likely explains the confusion still concepts are the same also wouldn’t need a battery just two pieces of wire long enough to reach ur battery 

6 hours ago, snoogett said:

Good flow to vp should be spraying everywhere not barely trickling out make sure there is no air in the line going into the vp before doing the injector lines.. also u can try bleeding one line at a time instead of cracking them all.. I apologize I got busy yesterday.. I hope you get this figured out.. seems most in the thread know what they talking bout so u didn’t need me that much haha.. from person experience with water pumps u can prime em easily hundreds of times and that one time too much water / fluid excapes the chamber it will still pump just not to full potential it is practically vapor locked can’t push the bubble out.. same can happen in the radiator if u fill it too fast.. also if u have a spare battery laying around u can run pos and neg directly to the pump so ur not constantly waiting on it..

Just realized ur pump location is under the hood behind the filter housing.. one of the worst spots cuz the pump gets way too hot.. if this is the case the pump is way diff than what I was picturing in my head more than likely explains the confusion still concepts are the same also wouldn’t need a battery just two pieces of wire long enough to reach ur battery 

thank you all for the help. i just got back inside from trying to bleed it for an hour and no luck. i did get fuel to lines 1 and 3 which is a plus, but its just not high enough pressure i think..at one point it started hiccuping like it wanted to but then stopped.then after that i couldnt get any fuel out of line 3, a slight dribble/flow from line 1 and line four was getting the most, but still not spraying out.  i am getting high pressure fuel at the injection pump (it sprays everywhere when you loosen the banjo bolt.

2 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Just get the lines slllllightly loose and crank that mofo! While it’s cranking slowly tighten the lines as tight as you can hand tight and see if it’ll sputter to life.

ive done it all, slightly cracked, 2-4 turns loose. like i said it just doesnt seem like its getting enough pressure to the injectors

1 minute ago, snoogett said:

So sometimes this happens with a diesel can be hella hard to get fully primed seems u got the pump for sure primed and need to get all injector pipes filled.. don’t give up.. 

just keep cranking? i feel like im getting no where and am going to eventually ruin a lift pump, injection pump, starter, batteries or the engine as a whole

Don’t just continue to crank the truck pull one pipe completely loose from the intake manifold.. turn key on and off twice should start pump for filter refil when fuel comes out of that one put it back completely tight I usually start with the front one going to the back.. one at a time when u have fuel coming out of all of them u should try to crank it

I’ve actually had to block the pipe with my finger for it to start with deisel out of it I guess it can get vapor locked somehow

Just to clarify if fuel doesn’t come out first try turn the key on and off twice again u should hear the pump running don’t overheat the pump trying.. 

well..another day failed to start. just got back in from another hour of trying to get it going. this time i bled in every place i could till i got good clean fuel. at the injectors i was getting a small stream from #1, #4 and #5 were getting pretty good fuel but it was foamy and a mix of spray/running out. still no fuel from #3. no matter how much i bumped or cranked or bled the fuel coming out of 4/5 was foamy. i then decided to throw on my stock IP and bleed from everywhere again. same situation. decent fuel from 4 and 5 but foamy, a little from 1 and none from #3