• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How Many Times Can You Use Stock Head Bolts?

Guest 04Mach1
4 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Locktite or anything?? Would just dipping all of the bolt beside the top of the head of the bolt work? Or just use a finger?

Just a light coat of clean engine oil and nothing else. Too much oil in the bolt holes causing hydro-locking of the bolt and greatly reduces clamping force.

Make sure bolt holes in the engine block are clean and dry before installing oiled head bolts.

2 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Just a light coat of clean engine oil and nothing else. Too much oil in the bolt holes causing hydro-locking of the bolt and greatly reduces clamping force.

Make sure bolt holes in the engine block are clean and dry before installing oiled head bolts.

So just dip a finger in it and get it somewhat wet is the goal?

7 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

Actually as long as the bolts do not exceed "free length measurement" and have no corrosion or pitting they are re-usable.

Screenshot_20180711-212929.png

Screenshot_20180711-212941.png

Would you risk it? I don’t like to do things twice so I wouldn’t reuse the head bolts. 

Guest 04Mach1
3 hours ago, KMayborn said:

Would you risk it? I don’t like to do things twice so I wouldn’t reuse the head bolts. 

The Cummins engineers are a whole lot smarter than me so yes I would risk it.

2 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

I have to change my HG pretty soon. Weeping water at the right front corner. Would buy some thing like that before knowing how much you might have to shave the head?

Guest 04Mach1
10 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have to change my HG pretty soon. Weeping water at the right front corner. Would buy some thing like that before knowing how much you might have to shave the head?

If your shaving the head yes this HG set will work since you are not doing anything to change piston protrusion. Usaully just a minimal amount needs shaved from the  head to resurface. If there are any cracks or major warpage I would recommend a Cummins new or reman head. If you shaved the block it would be a different HG.The fire rings on the Cummins HG are definitely beefier than aftermarket.

3 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

If your shaving the head yes this HG set will work since you are not doing anything to change piston protrusion. Usaully just a minimal amount needs shaved from the  head to resurface. If there are any cracks or major warpage I would recommend a Cummins new or reman head. If you shaved the block it would be a different HG.The fire rings on the Cummins HG are definitely beefier than aftermarket.

How much is that set from Cummins directly? I might go ahead and get that if it's a good deal.

Guest 04Mach1

I'd say from Cummins dealer like Cummins Rocky Mountain probably around $250 - $300. Average market is $220 - $250. This one is a pretty good deal.

• 1 month later...

Take a ruler and mark 5.2" from the top of a legal pad. Cut a stripe of about 1/2" from the right top to the mark you made. Hold bolt flange to top of legal pad.

Over here I check them in metric measurements, and use an A4 pad.

I never got the right Cummins gauge in any set I bought.

I prefer to use the stock measurements as per cummins and grind away the same amount as I removed when resurfacing the head and I mark the bolt as shortened with the letter S on the head. (So nobody uses the gauge to check a shortened bolt)

Edited by AlpineRAM
Typo

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

As we identified in your other thread, that's the wrong gauge. 

If you do get the correct gauge I'll bet every single OE bolt is within tolerance. 

If you're going to spend money get ARP, otherwise reuse the stock ones.

What's your thoughts on sending the new ones back since the old ones aren't far off from the new ones? I haven't measured them but they're pretty close to each other

• Staff
On 8/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, TheGreatWhite said:

What's your thoughts on sending the new ones back since the old ones aren't far off from the new ones? I haven't measured them but they're pretty close to each other

If they are all in spec I don't see a reason to not reuse them. 

• Like 1