• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

advice on rv or 5th wheel

I don't have access to scales but do have access to a weighbridge but that just does total but looking at your signature i'm maybe a Gnats lighter on the front as no ranchhand or winch, most 5ths here are euro towable so under 3500KG or around 7700lb which to be fair enables me to get to where I want to see as most roads in the UK  aren't highways or motorway as we call them, I'll go with 2100 first then no more than 2400

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a coincidence on your reply as I struck the deal last night on the 2012 Springdale I went to see a month or so ago. Euro truck towable so easy for my truck, funny thing is a month ago I offered the guy (dealer) 9k plus my TT he turned it down..... I sold my TT for 10k and the guy has just settled on 14k for the Springdale. I saved 5k, he needs to go to dealer school me thinks oh and he threw in a hitch for £350 which is half price here.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Is that £ or $.

What makes it "Euro truck towable"?

Price I got was in £ which isn't much difference to $ nowadays prob $12.5 at best.

Euro truck towable just means it's lighter  and 7ft 6" wide as everything else except American pickups are capped at below 3.5 tonnes which is around 7500lb ish. The width is better for euro as beds are short and our roads are narrow. This means for me I will be able to get pretty much anywhere I want to go ☺

I now have the next 4 days off work, thurs,fri,sat,sunday

Tomorrow I'm picking the new hitch up and mocking it under the trailer, coming home to fit it friday, made 4 large brackets to bolt it to the bed/frame.

Hopefully going to collect 5th wheel saturday if everything goes well, then again I might be staying home saturday as England play New Zealand at 7.30am our time with probably 8.00 to 8.30 kickoff, this will be an epic game of rugby and is augueably the real final, I doubt I'll be able to drive 400 miles without finding out the final score so saturday might need to be cancelled, might need to be a 7.30am beer start :cheers:..... if England lose... coffee by 10.am saturday, if England win coffee by 10.am Sunday with headache tablets 

3 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

On a short bed a slider hitch is highly recommended, 

I'm pretty sure it's had a pin box extension specifically for euro trucks, this is why I'm picking the hitch up so I can mock it up underneath the 5th, so If I need a slider I can sort it out once as I hate doing things twice

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

388233794_animated-smileys-drinking-0471.gif.307ccd9a3361524ea1a88a430c4cd80b.gif

We need pics of the 5er and hitch.  52894150_animated-smileys-vehicles-0551.gif.698206f1288150e3c7b3b336623089f0.gif

will have to get pics today

Got up there around 12.30pm, placed the hitch in the bed and sort of lowered the trailer onto/into it to check clearances

Trailer is quite a way from the back of the truck so thats all good, had maybe 4" clearance from the top of the tailgate to the underside of the pin box extension sides and I have 1 higher hole for the 5th to go up so I'll have maybe 5" or so.

Got to wire in a euro 13 pin plug which is a pain and I specifically didn't go that route with my TT but I'll have to with this one I'm sure

It also needs a 12v supply to it on a split charge relay so while the hitch might take me 1/2 a day to fit the electrics I can see will take longer

Weight is on the truck in the 2 pictures and it just about levels it out, it does look rear down slightly but the drivers wheel is on a curb which has slightly altered the passenger wheel well gap

20191024_125018[1].jpg

20191024_125026[1].jpg

Edited by wil440
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

1895076581_flag-of-england1.gif.eae54c1143ba96ed8c7ba782b4f65304.gifGet those headache tablets ready.

:cheers: I did actually fit my hitch and recorded the game as the run up started at 7.30am, I do like a beer but 7.30am is a tad early

even for me, 20 or 30 years ago no problem but nowadays time is a bit more valueable so instead of wasting the whole day I just wasted the later part. and wasted I am

it was good to see an English side prove that the All Blacks are only human after all, they hadn't lost in a world cup match since 2007

And also to be fair..... it's good to see you guys actually heard the outcome :thumb1: now it depends on tomorrows game between Wales and South Africa to see if it's a all Northern Hemisphere final or North and South for next saturday

On a less important note my hitch is fitted but I do have rust that was lurking behind the wheel spats /extensions, rockauto do keystone or sherman and luckily the rust isn't higher than the extension line so all good and easy to do and it rained big time all day and truck just doesn't fit into workshop so while I was out of the rain I still got soaked as it was running off of the cab and tool box onto the bed and then on the floor

20191026_142840[1].jpg

20191026_142900[1].jpg

20191026_142920[1].jpg

20191026_142939[1].jpg

Edited by wil440

• 3 months later...

5er was supposed to be delivered last Sunday it has took so long as had my whole drive dug up and tarmaced, Sunday was postponed due to storm Ciara which cause chaos with 80 mile an hour winds and 24hrs of real stair rod rain, did rearrange for this sunday but we got storm Dennis and another warning to life and property.... ah well maybe the sunday after

• Staff
5 hours ago, wil440 said:

5er was supposed to be delivered last Sunday it has took so long as had my whole drive dug up and tarmaced, Sunday was postponed due to storm Ciara which cause chaos with 80 mile an hour winds and 24hrs of real stair rod rain, did rearrange for this sunday but we got storm Dennis and another warning to life and property.... ah well maybe the sunday after

I hope all goes well. It's been awhile, is that because you needed to improve your driveway to better accommodate the 5th wheel?

BTW, I saw what looked like a storm headed your way on a satelite photo. I was wondering since it looked very strong.

18 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I hope all goes well. It's been awhile, is that because you needed to improve your driveway to better accommodate the 5th wheel?

BTW, I saw what looked like a storm headed your way on a satelite photo. I was wondering since it looked very strong.

Well yes and no. I had to fit the 5th hitch, then pondered on the fuel system on the truck and did that and a quad, by that time it got to the pre arranged date for the drive which  was a huge job at nearly 3500sqft or 320 sqm ish. I've just about finished the truck but it needed to be out my workshop so the 5th can sit in front of shop or I'd be blocked in.

Yes we had a good storm last weekend, luckily I was ill with a terrible cold so didn't venture out. It is shaping up now as wind is picking up, forecast a months rain tomorrow so flooding very likely

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Yes we had a good storm last weekend, luckily I was ill with a terrible cold so didn't venture out. It is shaping up now as wind is picking up, forecast a months rain tomorrow so flooding very likely

sounds like the UK’s strict carbon free energy policy’s to combat climate change is really starting to pay off,   :lol:  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

sounds like the UK’s strict carbon free energy policy’s to combat climate change is really starting to pay off,   :lol:  

? these 2 storms blew in from the west on the jet stream which is moving in upper atmos at 250mph, we seem to getting storm after storm coming over from you guys, at least it's not cold, we only get cold when wind is from north or east, and whatever we do here on climate I very much doubt its going  to change the JS one bit

We have one day next week without rain .....oh joy